A thread for stupid things to say which sound really smart

"
Upandatem wrote:
@Scrotie: This may be arguing semantics, but it's not really altruism if a reward is expected (like a good spot in the afterlife, or acceptance of the tribe or whatever), is it?
At which point you're just getting the truly insane.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
snorkel, awesome post I enjoyed that read.

scrotie, I giggled, well played

upandatem, psychiatry is a young science, who knows maybe it is all nature and nuture, and they will be able to fully verify one or the other or both and we can just dash whole sections of philosophy xD
I agree with you fundamentally that we all(or at least almost full majority) look after numero uno, hence the saying numero uno, my point is that acting altruistically doesn't have to detract from that overall narrative, in my eyes, you just take a momentary break from that pursuit and let someone merge or put out a hand to someone stumbling. It doesn't have to be a moment of self-reflection or a feeling of extreme empathy as much as just not actively being douchey towards others or allowing yourself to be the one in the right place at the right time for that other person. Outside of these small moments there is almost no such thing as altruism, I think snorkle's description is fairly apt, if you are doing it consciously or seeking opportunities, you are perhaps on some mission to make this a better place or some other easily corruptible thing. Once that structure is in place to guarantee people follow your lead, by threat of punishment, its like whoa.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on May 10, 2016, 8:54:56 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Upandatem wrote:
@Scrotie: This may be arguing semantics, but it's not really altruism if a reward is expected (like a good spot in the afterlife, or acceptance of the tribe or whatever), is it?
At which point you're just getting the truly insane.

well it sort of touches on what you said before I guess about the folly of pursuing a purely altruistic agenda is that inevitably most people go along with it for some kind of ulterior selfish agenda, even if that involves an act of insanity to dual believe in. Kind of drifts off back towards the 1984 topic at that point I guess. I do agree with the thoughts on using pure altruism as a foundation for, well, anything really, theres an absurdity to it.

I dunno if you guys watched pt1 of Machines Of Loving Grace I linked in a spoiler earlier. Part 3 contains an interesting story about a guy called Bill Hamilton who thought altruism was explained by genes that are willing to destroy themselves to let other copies of the gene survive. I think this went on to evolve into Richard Dawkins "the selfish gene" stuffs. He then teams up with computer guy called George Price who starts to believe he can see good will and altruism as nothing more than a simple mechanical process within selfish genes, then decides this knowledge is so fundamental it must be a gift from god, decides to follow the strict teaching of Christianity and live completely altruistically, gives away everything he owns to homeless people, and finally commits suicide in an act of rebellion against god and his genes. Totally bizarre story, I found it very interesting personally, somewhat related to things being discussed here I guess.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2eku4s_all-watched-over-by-machines-of-loving-grace-3-3-the-monkey-in-the-machine-2011_animals

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info