A thread for stupid things to say which sound really smart

I still love The Fountainhead. The evil of Atlas Shrugged can be rather eloquently demonstrated by reading the chapters in reverse order, Momento-style (which I recommend, providing The Fountainhead has been read first for context.)

Ayn Rand is the Anakin Skywalker to my Ben Kenobi.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 7, 2016, 10:24:30 PM
^to be fair, what I know about Rand is mostly thanks to Bioshock and a few articles, so it's mostly popular culture. I don't read a lot of literature (although I read a lot of scientific and technical stuff). She has a lot of shock phrases, though. Her definition of selfishness and altruism is trolling.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on May 7, 2016, 10:30:27 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure Andrew Ryan was like Anakin Skywalker to many of Rapture's citizens as well. I do think the first BioShock would have been an even more interesting story is they had painted "early Ryan" in a more heroic light, serving both as homage to the real-life inspiration and to make his descent all the more tragic.

I think the biggest mistake popular media makes with Rand is ignoring the chronology of her work, because there is a colossal paradigm shift in her work over time. What I don't feel popular culture gets very wrong is the endstate. (Interestingly, the odd bit of later stuff, a short essay here and there, avoids corruption, so it's not uniformly bad later. Just mostly.)

Also very interesting is Nathaniel Brandon's memoir of his relations with her. Unfortunately, he first met her after the publication of The Fountainhead and can only give insight into her life during and after the process of writing Atlas Shrugged.

Edit: I have mixed feelings on the whole "selfishness" thing. I do think there was a huge linguistic problem with the use of the word "self" in such a derogatory term as "selfish," doubled by the abasement of self in the term "selfless." While Rand was trying to single-handedly rewrite the dictionary, psychologist Nathaniel Brandon (that name again!) took the path of less resistance and coined the term "self-esteem" which we now see fucking everywhere and has, for the most part, solved the problem. I kind of admire Rand's tenacity in her fight to glorify the self, but ultimately Brandon's solution makes hers look like immature petulance.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 7, 2016, 10:55:42 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure Andrew Ryan was like Anakin Skywalker to many of Rapture's citizens as well. I do think the first BioShock would have been an even more interesting story is they had painted "early Ryan" in a more heroic light, serving both as homage to the real-life inspiration and to make his descent all the more tragic.

I disagree. Andrew Ryan is a tragic hero somewhat. He ended doing what he did because he ended with the same problems that in the surface. What he didn't understand is how his ideology created the conditions needed for that in first place (clash of dictators with the lack of a public government, as you described elsewhere). Yet you get the impression he wanted a better place than the surface.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Edit: I have mixed feelings on the whole "selfishness" thing. I do think there was a huge linguistic problem with the use of the word "self" in such a derogatory term as "selfish," doubled by the abasement of self in the term "selfless." While Rand was trying to single-handedly rewrite the dictionary, psychologist Nathaniel Brandon (that name again!) took the path of less resistance and coined the term "self-esteem" which we now see fucking everywhere and has, for the most part, solved the problem. I kind of admire Rand's tenacity in her fight to glorify the self, but ultimately Brandon's solution makes hers look like immature petulance.

I prefer the term rational self interest when one refers to economy. What I understand is that it's a very needed motivator, but under some conditions can screw the whole system, so one has to bring some balance somehow. Then again, humanity can't really have a consensus about that fact.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on May 7, 2016, 10:53:35 PM
I also feel it's important to read Rand's novels under the context that the term "self-esteem" did not yet exist. That's essentially the concept she's struggling to name.

Re: economics. I don't think it was wise for Atlas Shrugged, or any of her later work, to really focus on that so much. The core of the ethics she was promoting kind of naturally leads to very libertarian politics, so it's no surprise she'd advocate laissez-faire, but 1. Atlas Shrugged betrays those ethics anyway (the ethics become contradictory and incoherent) and 2. it's pretty distant from the main things she had to say in The Fountainhead anyway. Making a big stink about the term "self" was far more relevant.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 7, 2016, 11:05:25 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Obama says it all the time "right (or wrong) side of history" empty meaningless prattle. History has no sides. History flows onwards. Sometimes pretty sometimes very ugly.

THANKS OBAMA!
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
Some of the negative reviews of Atlas Shrugged on Goodreads are amazing.

"
If you must read Ayn Rand, start with Anthem. It's awful, but it's wicked short and it'll give you an idea about what Rand's like. (She is awful.) Move on (if you still must) to The Fountainhead, which is her least bad book, and just look this up on Wikipedia. It's way too long. There's a famous 70-page speech by John Galt near the end that's famous because literally no one has ever read it. You know who writes 70-page political screeds? The Unabomber and Ayn Rand and that's it.

Also,

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/famous-authors-predict-the-winner-of-super-bowl-xlii

"
Ayn Rand

When he saw Bill Belichick in the hallway before the press conference, Tom Coughlin’s face contorted into a whine. “It isn’t fair!” he shrieked. “You have all the best players!” he whimpered. “What happened to helping your fellow man?!” he mewled. “You … all you care about is winning!” he sniveled.

The muscular coach set his prominent jaw, and his hard, handsome eyes glistened. “Why, Tom,” he asked with a smile, “isn’t winning what the NFL is all about?”

Coughlin’s face turned bright red as he flapped his effeminate hands in hysterical gestures. By this time, a large crowd of reporters had gathered. “But, but … your players are the best in the league! Your offense is unstoppable! How am I supposed to go on the field with my weak players or my simple, predictable playcalling?? We’ll be destroyed! I tell you it isn’t fair! We deserve to be helped! This is social treason!”

Belichick squared his broad shoulders as he stared Coughlin in the eye. The smaller man cowed and threw his hands to his face in a pathetic flail. “Tom,” said Belichick, “I bet nobody has been honest with you in your entire life, so let me be the first. I was taught in the ways of strength. Yes, my men will win today. But it’s because we’ve had the courage to act on our judgment, and the fortitude to trust our decisions. Long ago, we were faced with a choice—the same choice you faced. We chose conviction. You chose impotence. And now, today, you ask me not only to cut my wrists and bleed on your behalf … oh no. You would also have me fund, design, and build the knife. You accuse me of social treason, and yet you beg me to betray myself.” The beautiful man laughed a throaty, attractive laugh. “You are a coward, Tom, and a coward in this world deserves nothing.”

With a great cheer, the reporters stood in unison and applauded.

Prediction: Patriots 326, Giants 27

Intersectionality is an integral part of identity politics
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
I vote we merge this thread with the Donald Trump thread or at least swap the titles.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info