Gem availability sucks for self found

I for one am hoping that GGG just opens all of the gems at some point. Your health depends on it bro. At this rate you'll have a jammer, stroke or something :)
"
I for one am hoping that GGG just opens all of the gems at some point. Your health depends on it bro. At this rate you'll have a jammer, stroke or something :)

Do you think I'm angry because I'm saying "fuck?" Is it all the italics that are getting you so confused? Is it because I'm pointing out how dumb the incredibly stupid things people keep saying are? I believe I typed A WORD IN CAPS earlier for emphasis since I'd just used the fuck out of italics and didn't want to go overboard with them (more than I already have). Maybe that got you?

I'm not angry. I'm disappointed in many members of the POE forum community, but that happens every time I spend more than five minutes here.

I'm just here to hopefully get GGG to make the game better.

It's cool if you think I'm angry, though. I don't mind.
Last edited by Jennik on May 2, 2016, 12:05:49 AM
"
Jennik wrote:

For the sake of argument, let's say I'm perfectly fine muling gems on my characters. So what? Better gem availability is still a good thing for the reasons I've covered. As I've said, muling being an option now does not stop people from constantly asking for gems in towns. Even the experiences of these people who are not playing self found in any way whatsoever would be improved by greater gem availability.

Why would the fact that shitty ways to do a thing exist be an argument against having non-shitty ways to do a thing? Does being forced to mule gems add to the game in a meaningful way?

Note that I agreed with you in my past few paragraphs on how gem availability is annoyingly restrictive and even came up with potential reasons GGG has that in place then promptly shot those reasons as they're a hindrance to the game being better. To quote myself:

"
Setting aside the fault...I do agree with you that gems could be made more available in Merciless.

Nowadays the [class] theme part of the gems feels like a pointless limit.

Forcing a player to either rely on others to buy the gem from or to level an alt character feels a bit antiquated now.

I'm coming around to the school of thought that if the gem is available as a quest reward or through the vendor for any class then it should be available to all classes.
"
Jennik wrote:
Do you think I'm angry because I'm saying "fuck?" Is it all the italics that are getting you so confused? Is it because I'm pointing out how dumb the incredibly stupid things people keep saying are?
Gets criticized for raging; rages at people criticizing for raging ^__^ I think you should let this topic cool off for a day or so and then come back, because you're insulting people who are agreeing with you.

To respond to the actual topic: racing. If all gems were available for all classes, then what would likely occur is that one class would be the best at using the best skill, and all other classes would be worse versions of that class. As it is, some classes are better than others, but at least different classes use different skills.

Also, I like the occasional interaction with other players that is forced on me if I roll an alt and have to buy a couple gems. Paying people an alch for a gem and then thanking them feels... kinda good, actually. Plus I get to see a cool hideout every once in a while.

If you're doing character-bound SSF, then I don't see how you can complain about the gem system being restrictive. I mean, you're choosing to play in a restrictive way, so I think you have to embrace the restrictions that come with that, no?

Lastly, clutter is a real factor. If suddenly there's an explosion at the gem vendor, that makes levelling new characters MORE annoying because it's harder to find gems on the screen. I don't mind logging into my Duelist to buy a Cleave for my weirdo ele cleave witch or something, I'd rather at least be able to find the gem quickly instead of having to hover over a million gems before I see Cleave.

For me, the disadvantages of changing the current system are at least close enough to the advantages that I wouldn't care for GGG to spend any time on this issue.
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
"
"
Jennik wrote:
Do you think I'm angry because I'm saying "fuck?" Is it all the italics that are getting you so confused? Is it because I'm pointing out how dumb the incredibly stupid things people keep saying are?
Gets criticized for raging; rages at people criticizing for raging ^__^

Please define "raging" for me. My definition does not include calm, rational discussion, so I'm confident we're not on the same page here.

"You're fuckin' angry, mate."

"No I'm not."

"See, look how fuckin' angry 'e is! Still raging! Hur hur!"

"
To respond to the actual topic: racing.

Are you for real here? I specifically mentioned making gems available in merciless. How could you possibly believe this would negatively impact races?

"
If you're doing character-bound SSF, then I don't see how you can complain about the gem system being restrictive. I mean, you're choosing to play in a restrictive way, so I think you have to embrace the restrictions that come with that, no?

No. That makes no sense at all. Playing in a restrictive way does not mean that every single aspect of the game is 100% perfect and should not be adjusted. How could playing SSF possibly mean that a player should have to deal with every bad part of POE and that those bad parts should not be improved?

"
Lastly, clutter is a real factor. If suddenly there's an explosion at the gem vendor, that makes levelling new characters MORE annoying because it's harder to find gems on the screen.

Did you somehow miss the repeated uses of the word "merciless" in this thread? Assuming you didn't and that you honestly believe this will ruin merciless gem vendors, do you honestly not believe that GGG is capable of setting up nicely organized gem tabs, possibly with a search feature? GGG is not nearly as incompetent as you seem to believe they are.
Last edited by Jennik on May 2, 2016, 1:18:05 AM
Folks, let's try to bring our A games to this thread, okay? I know, shitposting is the general rule of the POE forums. Can we set aside one thread to be better than that?

We need fewer stupid, nonsensical statements, less "ur mad bro," more reading comprehension, and so on. Play along like you actually passed an English class, okay? That'd be great.
The way I see it, character-based SSF is hopelessly unsupported by various subsystems of the game. Unless you make a new account for each character so you can have their own set of masters, or just don't use masters, there's going to be some degree of share between characters on the account, and that share makes all gems accessible in a reasonable way. Nevermind trying to remember what you put in stash from each character. Is it really worth it to not just use a more practical definition of SSF that means you only swap items among your own characters? You're still playing solo, you still found everything yourself, and things just work a lot better that way if you're going to SSF at all.

"
Jennik wrote:
Folks, let's try to bring our A games to this thread, okay? I know, shitposting is the general rule of the POE forums. Can we set aside one thread to be better than that?

We need fewer stupid, nonsensical statements, less "ur mad bro," more reading comprehension, and so on. Play along like you actually passed an English class, okay? That'd be great.

Double posting, using "sucks" in the thread title, and being somewhat abrasive in the above quote may not be the best way to convince others to comply. You should edit that into your immediately previous post and perhaps clean it up a bit.
People who don't like the Labyrinth are not a minority: Be heard - say you don't like it in your signature. Don't leave complaining about lab to others - GGG needs to see how many people dislike it. Ascendancy must be gated on true ARPG content, not a poorly-crafted internet Legend of Zelda wannabe.
Last edited by TheLastZica on May 2, 2016, 2:13:07 AM
"
TheLastZica wrote:
"
Jennik wrote:

Double posting, using "sucks" in the thread title, and being somewhat abrasive in the above quote may not be the best way to convince others to comply. You should edit that into your immediately previous post and perhaps clean it up a bit.

"Double posting" is posting the same thing twice, typically by accident. I'm expressing multiple unrelated ideas in multiple posts. I'm not sure what your issue with this is. Why do you believe this is a bad thing? It seems perfectly reasonable to me to respond to person A in one post, person B in another, and then make a general comment unrelated to those in a third.

I don't know your issue with the word "sucks," but I don't share that particular hangup with you. I'm also perfectly fine with everyone being as abrasive as they want be. The important thing is to avoid saying things that are untrue, massively stupid, or irrelevant to the topic. Most important is to practice good reading comprehension skills so that you don't keep arguing irrelevant points that have already been covered multiple times in the thread, and so that you don't start bashing a straw man.

You, for instance, are caught up on arguments related to playing self found. I've repeatedly been over why this is not an important topic to discuss, and why it's not relevant to the point of the thread, which is better gem availability. You are not arguing against better gem availability here.

Really, folks, the point of this thread is that better gem availability is a good thing and that GGG should fix the problem of poor gem availability. I mentioned SSF because it sucks particularly hard for SSF players, but I also clearly stated that it sucks for everyone. I don't care what sort of treatment you believe SSF players deserve. I don't care how you think SSF players should be forced to play the game. Your views on SSF are irrelevant.

If you have any, please provide good arguments against better gem availability. That's what this thread is missing. If you're going to defend the status quo, explain why you're defending the status quo. That would be useful to the thread.
"
Jennik wrote:

I think you're being hypocritical.

"
You, for instance, are caught up on arguments related to playing self found. I've repeatedly been over why this is not an important topic to discuss, and why it's not relevant to the point of the thread, which is better gem availability. You are not arguing against better gem availability here.
This thread is called "gem availability sucks for self found". If you want to talk about gem availability in general, make a different thread, or at least don't make fun of people for being confused.

"
If you have any, please provide good arguments against better gem availability.
Clutter. GGG could implement a search feature, but I don't care and I don't really want them to spend time doing that when there are other things they could be doing.

I like trading for gems, I was indifferent to the gem vendors when they appeared. Planning gems used to be part of planning the character, which was a little bit fun.

Racing would be more bland (regardless of when the gems were made available) because there would be fewer opportunities for racers to get lucky. I recently watched raiz playing the SSF challenge, and he got Blood Rage and Whirling Blades both from drops on a witch in normal. Seeing him get SO lucky was entertaining. Getting lucky feels good.
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
"
I think you're being hypocritical.

I'm well aware that you're made of rubber and that I'm made of glue. Nice bounce, by the way. I call next go on the slide, and did you see that bug on the merry-go-round? It was so weird!

"
This thread is called "gem availability sucks for self found". If you want to talk about gem availability in general, make a different thread, or at least don't make fun of people for being confused.

I didn't "make fun of people for being confused." I explained that I had covered his specific objection multiple times already in this thread. Do you not understand that these are two fundamentally different things? And remember all those times I harped on people's poor reading comprehension skills? No? Okay, never mind, then.

"
Clutter. GGG could implement a search feature, but I don't care and I don't really want them to spend time doing that when there are other things they could be doing.

Please note that I said good arguments. Giving bad arguments simply because you feel the need to say something isn't the same thing.

Nicely organized gem tabs with a search feature in merciless would, if anything, be much easier to use than what we currently have. "Click green tab, C-O-L, got it."

"
I like trading for gems, I was indifferent to the gem vendors when they appeared. Planning gems used to be part of planning the character, which was a little bit fun.

This is valid, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe your claim that you honestly enjoy having to purchase gems your character doesn't get from another player instead of buying them from a vendor (and that's pretty fucking hard to believe, but hey, I'm feeling generous). I don't think your personal enjoyment of trading for gems you need is representative of any significant number of players, or even a number of players significantly larger than one (or zero, as I'm feeling less generous about believing you by the end of this paragraph).

"Yay, time to trade for Increased Duration! I hope this guy responds to my message!"

"Okay, I hope this next guy responds to my message!"

"WEE! This is great!"

"
Racing would be more bland (regardless of when the gems were made available) because there would be fewer opportunities for racers to get lucky. I recently watched raiz playing the SSF challenge, and he got Blood Rage and Whirling Blades both from drops on a witch in normal. Seeing him get SO lucky was entertaining. Getting lucky feels good.

I'm pretty sure it would still feel pretty damn good when you skipped multiple difficulties while getting gems. You know what feels absolutely fucking terrible, though? Not getting gems you need by level 85. That feels like your AIDS just got fucking cancer. I don't think the joy experienced by people playing character based solo self found (which I assume he was in your example, which is why I'm using similar comparisons) when they find a gem they need comes remotely close to outweighing how shitty it is when the same person never gets that gem.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info