Gem availability sucks for self found

Just run a marauder through normal, it doesn't take that long.
Running maps without what you consider an important support is absurd.
Please don't whine about self imposed restrictions when there is an easy solution within your restriction.
I don't trade and my characters never lack from gems.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
"
mucker wrote:
Just run a marauder through normal, it doesn't take that long.
Running maps without what you consider an important support is absurd.
Please don't whine about self imposed restrictions when there is an easy solution within your restriction.
I don't trade and my characters never lack from gems.

[bolded relevant comments]

One incredibly common version of self found play, and the one a person as clever as you should have realized I play, is character based self found. Jenny the Witch only uses items Jenny the Witch finds. If I shared gems, my Shadow wouldn't have been using Flameblast in maps instead of a level 1 Burning Arrow quest reward, fucking obviously. Jesus fucking Christ people, I'm sure you have two brain cells to rub together. FUCKING RUB THOSE BITCHES. Maybe the friction will make them start functioning.

I get it, people, you want to shit on me and my thread. Congrats! Both it and me are buried under your massive piles of rancid feces. Your repulsive shitstorm has been a success!

Unfortunately for you, I have made arguments in this thread that are not refuted by splattering me with generous helpings of your rancid shit. Instead of simply coming into this thread to provide more and more worthless shit for the ever-growing pile, please keep it inside your body and attempt to answer some questions instead.

Would you argue that not having these gems available is superior to having these gems available to a character at some point?

What, exactly, is bad about my suggestion?

In what way does my suggestion hurt the game more than the game is being hurt by the current state of gem availability?

Remember, throwing shit at me does not refute me. It just makes you look like a fucking imbecile. Try to be better than that.
Last edited by Jennik on May 1, 2016, 10:39:44 PM
In all fairness, most long time players assume some alt running in order to collect gems for one character. The game has been that way since launch and in beta.

You didn't really specify that you needed one single character to acquire the gems on its own. So settle down and relax a little. Enjoy some sunlight :)
 Ok, so if you want an Increased Duration gem just play a Marauder, Templar, or Dualist and buy one from Clarissa in Sarn. Otherwise, it's praying to RNGesus for it to drop or trading for one... oh right, you are playing self-found.

On the flip side, when vendors started selling gems the whole process of gem hunting kinda went to hell. The whole point of skill gems and supports not falling like rain or being able to buy them all is to make us work a build around what we find and not expect to make a build and have everything needed served up by an NPC vendor. What's the point on even playing PoE at all if you are expecting everything to be purchasable from an NPC? That makes no sense.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
You didn't really specify that you needed one single character to acquire the gems on its own.

Clarity is found in context. The Burning Arrow example I gave alone should have made it blindingly obvious even to the most thick and oblivious of people that I don't mule gems on my self found characters. Regardless, even if we ignore all of that, it's still not an argument against my point. What he said completely ignores the points I've made.

People can level alts to get gems right now. That still doesn't stop me from constantly seeing people ask if someone can buy them a gem in town, though. As I stated in the very first post of the thread, I believe this change would benefit everybody, regardless of whether or not they play self found.

"
Arrowneous wrote:
What's the point on even playing PoE at all if you are expecting everything to be purchasable from an NPC? That makes no sense.

It likely makes no sense because you're arguing against a straw man. Nobody is expecting everything to be available from NPCs. Hell, I haven't argued for making all gems available from vendors.

Remember to respond to points the person you're talking to actually made. It's impossible to have a worthwhile conversation when you're just lighting up straw men.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 Ok,
 On

I forgot to point out that you don't need to indent your paragraphs online. You're not writing a high school essay here. You can keep doing it if it makes you happy, but keep in mind that you're going to be "that guy" who still thinks he's in Ms. Jamison's English Lit class.

It's like signing your posts. You can do it if you're fine looking like an utter douche, but then you're the guy who's fine looking like an utter douche. Bleh.
I agree with you Jennik that now that GGG went 'most of the way' making gems available that it's silly for them to not just make them all available to all. It doesn't make the game any less hardcore by doing so. Not now, anyway.

Your delivery is what's boned up. Being an aggressive internet tough guy doesn't help your point along.

Peace & Love.
"
Your delivery is what's boned up. Being an aggressive internet tough guy doesn't help your point along.

That's not the goal. The points I made are what made my points. Me explaining to people shitting on me and the thread and saying the stupid things imaginable exactly why the things they're saying are stupid is not supposed to make my points. It will hopefully get people to be a little less idiotic in the future, and maybe, just maybe, get people to say less dumb shit in this thread. It hasn't worked yet, though.

I'm also not sure how I'm being "an aggressive internet tough guy." Is it me using the word "fuck" a lot? I like the word "fuck." It's a good word. Is it where I threatened people with violence and called them weak little pussies? Probably not, since I didn't do that. How do you define "an aggressive internet tough guy?"

"This guy's articulate and refuted the dumbest ideas imaginable! And he said fuck, Larry! He said fuck! Jesus, Larry, the stones on this asshole!"
Character self found? The game itself does not really support that. GGG has made Path of Exile such that you are expected and even required to make several different characters to get various skill and support gems unless you're okay with leaving things up to RNG drops. One of the game's main points is getting the gear and gems together to see a build come to fruition and in the process of doing that the player thinks "What if?" and also starts going for other builds on different classes. Then they build from there and use knowledge between classes and various mechanics to improve play for all of them.

Also, the overwhelming majority of people will never even think of character-restricted self found when they just see the words "self found." Maybe in a different game with different expectations it would come up, but, as mentioned above, PoE is not a game where character self found even really gets thought about. To be blunt, most people will just assume you're a dumbass for not muling gems between characters. Your demeanor hurts you in that regard as well since someone is far less likely to try and help another if the other person is being haughty. And you are being haughty here.

Had you explicitly mentioned you wanted to only play a single character solo and self found with no muling from any of your other characters, this thread would have gone a bit differently. Looking through the responses it is quite clear many people think you're complaining about something that isn't a problem at all because regular self found characters can share items and gems between each other. You are an outlier when it comes to staying self found on a single character.

To me it looks like you would have conveyed your thoughts much better and quicker if you had said something like "I am playing single character solo self found. There is no muling from any other characters." instead of giving the example about burning arrow and flameblast. Most people would find that example kinda meaningless because it does not do enough to differentiate you intentionally playing character self found from unintentionally not knowing muling exists.

Setting aside the fault you made at assuming people would think you're referring to being limited to a single character, I do agree with you that gems could be made more available in Merciless. If one already has plenty of experience and knows what they want to do then leveling another character just to get a gem for their main is just a tedious pain in the ass. My guess on why GGG keeps the gem splits is partly so people can sell and trade those gems and thus get some player interaction when they want convenience and partly due to theme for the class. There is also something to be said about keeping the gem screens decently tidy.

Nowadays the theme part of the gems feels like a pointless limit. The Ascendancy classes do that better, and presumably by the time a player hits Merciless they will have done Normal Labyrinth and thus have some idea of what the game nudges each class towards.

Forcing a player to either rely on others to buy the gem from or to level an alt character feels a bit antiquated now. If you've proven you're in the game long enough to get past Cruel, even if you're using a skill you really don't want to use, then you ought to be rewarded with more gem options. PoE suffers a bit from having some skills not be viable to play until past level 70, so seeing more gem options should give

Keeping the gem screens tidy lest players not be able to pick out which gem they want can be fixed by adding another tab or two that has much better gem variety and also has a search bar. The search bar will mitigate the inherent mess that arises from having several dozen or more gems on the screen, even if GGG finds a better organization metric to use.
Last edited by Jackinthegreen on May 1, 2016, 11:40:41 PM
"
To me it looks like you would have conveyed your thoughts much better and quicker if you had said something like "I am playing single character solo self found. There is no muling from any other characters." instead of giving the example about burning arrow and flameblast.

The reason I didn't say these things is that they're not relevant to the points I was making. As I said in the first post of the thread:

"
Jennik wrote:
Of course, this will actually make things better for non-self found players as well, since they won't have to deal with the annoyance of finding someone to sell them a Rallying Cry or whatever. Better gem availability will just make the game better.

People brought up muling in an effort to attack me. It completely dodges the issue of whether greater gem availability is good for the game, but it's a wonderful way to spray more shit all over the thread.

For the sake of argument, let's say I'm perfectly fine muling gems on my characters. So what? Better gem availability is still a good thing for the reasons I've covered. As I've said, muling being an option now does not stop people from constantly asking for gems in towns. Even the experiences of these people who are not playing self found in any way whatsoever would be improved by greater gem availability.

Why would the fact that shitty ways to do a thing exist be an argument against having non-shitty ways to do a thing? Does being forced to mule gems add to the game in a meaningful way?
Last edited by Jennik on May 1, 2016, 11:49:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info