So the main problem with SSF leagues is that...

Droprates need to be buffed to compensate for not trading. Finding a voltaxic is worthless for the majority of players not building a voltaxic build.

Grossly simplified, if only 1/10th of non-currency valuables found are useful to your build, then droprates would need to be buffed 10 times just to compensate for trading.

Buffing droprates means that the league needs to be void, which scares players away.

---------------------------------------------

So the challenge facing GGG in a SSF league is creating a situation where player's don't need increased droprates, while also being able to cap their resists and have RELEVANT gear to clear endgame maps

Possible Solutions;

1) Not possible in PoE, but an interesting design concept from Diablo 3; Targeted loot. Useful loot relevant to your build drops more often. Impossible to implement in PoE since characters are far less restricted than D3, so loot targeting be too broad (How would the drop engine know whether your marauder wants melee weapons or a fire sceptre?)

2) Trading with NPCs. Rather than selling that Windripper for a few ex and using it to buy a wand, why not skip the middleman and just buy it from a NPC? GGG already showed they could price items with Cadiro. Why can't we sell uniques to Cadiro?

---------------------------------------------

SOLO SUPER-CADIRO LEAGUE

Cadiro is now added as an 9th master. Every daily his inventory refreshes, showing a new set of deals. BUT THE CATCH IS THAT PERANDUS CACHES NO LONGER SPAWN. The only way to get coins is to vendor uniques. Don't need that Voltaxic? Sell it to Cadiro for coins and buy a Bino's/Varunastra the next time he has one. Of course, Cadiro is a dirty flipper so you're going to lose some coins. But it's still more useful than having a useless voltaxic on your Reaver.
Last bumped on Jan 31, 2017, 10:47:51 PM
Drop rates are fine. There will always be people who compare the rate that a solo/self-found player can get stuff to that which a trader can, but that's where the fallacy comes in. See... drop rates don't enter into the disparity.

They could raise the drop rates 100x and the disparity would be exactly the same. All that would happen would be the game would be crap and people would still be complaining about drop rates.

The game plays fine with the current drop rates. Add Cadrio to the "drop rates" and the drop rates are far too high.
"
H4xolotl wrote:

Cadiro is now added as an 9th master. Every daily his inventory refreshes, showing a new set of deals. BUT THE CATCH IS THAT PERANDUS CACHES NO LONGER SPAWN. The only way to get coins is to vendor uniques. Don't need that Voltaxic? Sell it to Cadiro for coins and buy a Bino's/Varunastra the next time he has one. Of course, Cadiro is a dirty flipper so you're going to lose some coins. But it's still more useful than having a useless voltaxic on your Reaver.

I do like the sound of that idea, it would also give you an opportunity to make some use of all those crappy unique items you've found while leveling / mapping.

Instead of having them rot in your stash, because you just can't throw uniques away, or vendoring them for an alteration or two, you could now exchange them for a couple of coins and save up for something you really want / need.

Sounds like a great idea on how to implement cadiro into the main game (not just into a self found league).
No selffound league asside from the races. Pleaseeee
SSF never fails because of the droprates. It fails because the current demographic can't stand playing with a lack of power for extended periods before upgrading.

Which is exactly what you do with SSF vs trade, slow down the power progression curve.

I still remember fondly doing lvl 78 maps in a solo event with a 250 dps harbinger and 3500hp.

Stuff was hard and a single hit would kill you outright, kite or die, it was brilliant.

tl;dr people want the gears, they don't need the gears.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
''Droprates need to be buffed to compensate for not trading. Finding a voltaxic is worthless for the majority of players not building a voltaxic build.''

No worries. I've played for several years and never seen a voltaxic bow drop... ever..
Last edited by xxSerpentlordxx on Apr 30, 2016, 10:00:10 AM
If you buff drop rates you have to void the league.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
H4xolotl wrote:
Droprates need to be buffed to compensate for not trading. Finding a voltaxic is worthless for the majority of players not building a voltaxic build.

You talk like people are playing just one build.

I play self found, and every end game item is viable to me, because if I find something cool/interesting/good, I will build around it with my next character.

Do I find rares that are good enough to make a build around? Well, other than uniques, I think I can count them on one hand (3 years on and off in standard, grinding high tier maps and Atziri). Drop rates are fine, when it comes to unique items and orbs. The quality of rares, on the other hand, needs to be adjusted in a self found league.

A rare axe with good enough mods to be compared to a Soul Taker, should drop as frequent as a Soul Taker. A rare armor with good enough mods to be comparable with a Lightning Coil, should drop as often as a lightning coil. I have found several Coils in my days, but never a rare that comes even close. Tho in that case, that might me because of the Coils OP'ness.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Apr 30, 2016, 11:01:10 AM
People who get really good items too soon never develop skills needed to play well. They think trading is needed because they never learned to play. They started out playing with exceptional gear, and now think exceptional gear is needed to play. It's not. Play without it for a while and you'll see that skill is much more important than gear is.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
People who get really good items too soon never develop skills needed to play well. They think trading is needed because they never learned to play. They started out playing with exceptional gear, and now think exceptional gear is needed to play. It's not. Play without it for a while and you'll see that skill is much more important than gear is.
+1
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
H4xolotl wrote:
You talk like people are playing just one build.

I play self found, and every end game item is viable to me, because if I find something cool/interesting/good, I will build around it with my next character.
Thanks phrazz, I was going to say that.

Now, if it was a no trade no stash league, then maybe I could understand increased droprates as compensation, because then it actually would be true that finding a Voltaxic is worthless if not playing a Voltaxic build. And since a lot of people seem to simultaneously hate rerolling and trading for whatever crazy reason, I think a no-stash league is worth some consideration.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 30, 2016, 11:20:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info