quality of community

and one french canadian
wants bester comunity wiht bester servers
"
wants bester comunity wiht bester servers

I think also one social-bot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
I think, it are different facts which must be somewhere separated:

fact 1: the age - (many/most/whatyouwanttocallit) kids/young people simply tend to act/appear 'childish'

fact 2: the language - it can offend you even more if you dont understand them, using a foreign language. (It gets even more complicated, if they cant/dont want to understand you...)

fact 3: the nationality - some nations tend to stay among themselves (for different reasons, and one of them is the fact that it is easier to communicate/understand the mates in their native language)

fact 4: the pace - in a game of action, in a game which consumes a lot of time for playing, "I" have a lot other things to do then to chat, so if neccessary, many people try to keep it short.(or, switch to teamspeak or similar services to communicate - also a very good 'way' to stay among themselves)

whats the conclusion of this?

- I'd say, there shouldnt be a (IP-based?) filter for the origin of the players to separate the servers (for keeping the community as big as possible, and for all foreign players who are able and willing to use english as common language (I'm a no-native english speaker too, I prefer to use/answer in my native if I see others use it - but I nearly never would have the idea to open a communication to others in an other language than english). Maybe they will/should _offer_ separate servers with the planned localisations of the game (for example, if there is a german version of POE, a german gateway could be useful too). But they never should force anybody which gateway is used.

And, for the ones who interact in crypts or in an (to me) incomprehensible language/form of chat - and I confirm, that such foreign texts are more obvious and also _seem_ to be more common: I ignore/fade out.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
you`re asking ppl to be funny and casual? dude that ain`t right. that`s not the way to do it.

beside, the community it`s kind of casual, sometimes in the global chat, you can read completly off-topic conversations.

i`m from Argentina, my english is not perfect but i can still understand ppl. (:
"
zoque999 wrote:
no, you don't have a point. you only think you have.

you are talking about my english and shitty capitals, oh wait, what? i don't know how to use shift? or is this a freaking choice?

if you don't understand "me" then you will understand no one in an mmo game.

have you use your brain or ass to come up with such arguments?

---

game interface opens,
two choices appears,

server 1 - only english language allowed
server 2 - international server

choose your server.

if you don't understand this too try brain transplantation.
I say I don't understand you because I fear that the language barrier is too big for me to be sure to interpret you correctly.

It was no insult to you, so I see no reason why you make sure to insult me in your reply :/.

And btw yes, when I speak to people over the internet I tend to not take for granted that they managed to express themselves perfectly (very few people do) and that my interpretation was flawless.

It is actually possible to see people who have no intent to start a fight do it anyway, only because they think the other guy said something nasty when that was not the intention at all.
What about language-specific chat channels where people can speak non-english without fear of abuse?
They could of course, still use the english channel(s) if desired.

Seems like a better idea than having different servers or leagues.
Last edited by Malice on Jan 15, 2012, 1:30:33 AM
"
zoque999 wrote:
if you call me a racist, so be it. but in my opinion, there should be a "pure english speaking server" and an "international" alternative to that.

I agree, English is not my native language but effectively it has become my main language, same for most people in Europe, at least online.

But I did notice that Germans and Russians are far too lazy/nationalistic to learn or use English.

Also this is a great indicator of intelligence, if someone is so dense that he doesn't understand how lucky the world is that English, through confluence of historical events, established itself as The language of science, computers, pop-culture, media and literature, such person is lacking in basic reasoning skills.

Just imagine the horrible mess and waste of having to deal with 50 languages and not one being dominant.

Learning a language is a necessary evil/waste because you are not learning anything about anything. You just use another set of symbols to relay the exact same things you already learned how to relay. That's why we are very lucky that we have English as one dominant language.

People who don't understand this very simple fact are dumbasses.

Last edited by metamag on Jan 15, 2012, 10:42:50 AM
"
metamag wrote:
...Also this is a great indicator of intelligence, if someone is so dense that he doesn't understand how lucky the world is that English, through confluence of historical events, established itself as The language of science, computers, pop-culture, media and literature, such person is lacking in basic reasoning skills...
All we need additionally is for everyone to abandon the crappy imperial system and go for the superior metric one.

Sure there is no direct benefit for me that the world has many languages, but indirectly every language is a huge amount of knowledge gathered into it for instance a historical lesson. So while diversity in language is "useless" to me, it has a huge value to the world.

Just like the world loses knowledge/information when a species goes instinct that could potentially had held the secrets to an amazing technological progress in the future. Diversity is knowledge. Knowledge is good. Diversity is good.
Last edited by Snuffeldjuret on Jan 15, 2012, 12:47:16 PM
No. There is no value in learning a different set of symbols and rules to relay the exact same things you already know how to relay.

Diversity of languages is a colossal waste of time and resources as well as making the world a much less coherent and stable place.

EU alone spends billions of euros on translations.

This problem could easily be solved if in every country in the world the only secondary language permitted to be learned in schools and universities would be English and no other.

Think about that.
Last edited by metamag on Jan 15, 2012, 1:19:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info