SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

"
Turtledove wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Jgizle wrote:
The only other option is allowing people to get AC points by killing shaper. Lets see how many people would rather do that fight than Izaro.

That's actually not a bad idea. For the final two points, anyhow.

Yes, if you could skip the crappy endgame trials as well.

You wouldnt need to do trials if you could get last 2 points from shaper. You would however have to kill all the guardians, which might not be beneficial in your characters atlas. It is an alternative though.
Chroniccomplainerreviews.wordpress.com

Your source for quality honest reviews to save you time and money!
"
Jgizle wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

That's actually not a bad idea. For the final two points, anyhow.

Yes, if you could skip the crappy endgame trials as well.

You wouldnt need to do trials if you could get last 2 points from shaper. You would however have to kill all the guardians, which might not be beneficial in your characters atlas. It is an alternative though.

imo, GGG should incentivize playing all content, but simultaneously de-incentivize meta-cheese.

The Labyrinth as it is right now encourages playing it via meta-cheese techniques.

The Atlas as it is right now DIScourages playing it (completely) due to meta-cheese factors.

Both of these are indicators of bad design, generally speaking.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Lab actually discourages atlas progression due to it giving red maps and allowing you to skip through so many tiers of the atlas.

I dont think the problem is meta cheese. The problem is how OP AC is. Pathfinder and Juggernaut are quite OP. Spamming flasks as pathfinder or tanking everything with fortify, high armor, and high endurance charges (8/9+) as juggenaut is not meta cheese, its just AC being so strong. Even slayer can pull ridiculous sized AOEs with EQ and cyclone. Thats not the skills being meta, its the classes making the skills OP.

Thats why you have to do lab to get AC to begin with. If i got ac points any other way theres no point of even playing poe. The power creep in your progression would be so insane than nothing in the game would be hard besides corrupted red maps which no one runs anyways as red maps are inefficient. Even when act 5 comes, only act 5 is going to be balanced for AC. And sonce it os story even if its balanced for AC it is content that can be outleveled.

"
Regulator wrote:
"
Deliverme wrote:
For me the solution is simple: Design the lab so that traps lead to nice chest rewards, and non trap areas lead to Izario. I like the chests there, but would be okay if they removed those and our reward was simply ascendancy points and enchantment.

I absolutely despise the traps, and do not play an ARPG to see how well I can dodge a spiked dough roller.

Added the suggestion in the "Labyrinth Rework Ideas" spoiler in the OP

"
Pyrokar wrote:
Did anyone suggest something about a vendor recipe for asc points? For example: Selling 5 offering to the godess + an orb of augmentation lets you get your ascendancy points for the difficulty you sell them at.

Something along that line could be reasonable and economy stimulating.

Added the suggestion in the "Alternative Ascension Methods" spoiler in the OP.

Thanks both for the suggestions, hope more people can help that way.

We are now at 19 unique suggestions that one way or another will help us improve the current system. Keep up the good work people.

Thanks for putting it in the OP Regulator. I am actually happy that people are still trying to make this a better game for everyone, even if it seems that giving feedback feels like talking to a wall. Walls have ears though, right?

Spoiler
...and hills eyes?
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Oct 30, 2016, 6:13:02 AM
"
Hey guys,

We welcome and encourage open and honest discussion in the forums, but tensions seem to be getting a little bit high in this topic. Please remember to keep your discussion and feedback constructive and free of any personal attacks against other forum users.

Please take a read over our Code of Conduct and keep them in mind whenever you are posting on the forums:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1457463

If you have any questions or concerns please email support@grindinggear.com, or you are welcome to PM us on the forums. :)

Gee, I wonder why this topic is so polarizing. Maybe you (GGG) just botched it (shot yourself in the foot) and have coded yourself to be trapped in your own labyrinth? Let's see, if there was only another way to acquire Ascendancy points without the tedious lab rat runs and triple Izaro battles that are just a gear check of a bore to do. Just ramping up Izaro damage so we (most) need to over-level to survive boss fight was very dumb (non-clever) mechanic. Nothing to do but wait until we are sufficiently uber to take him on and face roll him. Where's the fun in that?

I already put my 2 cents in on this and suggested that Izaro difficulty be set to be the same level as exile and of course he is balanced to not need to be so uber at 33/55/68. That way if I take Normal Izaro at level 35 exile he is also level 35 difficulty. The 33/55/68 are minimum exile level before I can make the lab run but if I wait then he is also at same level of difficulty. Thus no need to make him so uber for the level we typically wait until 10+ levels above before taking him on.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Oct 30, 2016, 7:55:33 AM
We will see a rework of AC points in 3.0 for sure
"
Arrowneous wrote:

Gee, I wonder why this topic is so polarizing. Maybe you (GGG) just botched it (shot yourself in the foot) and have coded yourself to be trapped in your own labyrinth? Let's see, if there was only another way to acquire Ascendancy points without the tedious lab rat runs and triple Izaro battles that are just a gear check of a bore to do. Just ramping up Izaro damage so we (most) need to over-level to survive boss fight was very dumb (non-clever) mechanic. Nothing to do but wait until we are sufficiently uber to take him on and face roll him. Where's the fun in that?

I already put my 2 cents in on this and suggested that Izaro difficulty be set to be the same level as exile and of course he is balanced to not need to be so uber at 33/55/68. That way if I take Normal Izaro at level 35 exile he is also level 35 difficulty. The 33/55/68 are minimum exile level before I can make the lab run but if I wait then he is also at same level of difficulty. Thus no need to make him so uber for the level we typically wait until 10+ levels above before taking him on.

"
DDusk wrote:
We will see a rework of AC points in 3.0 for sure

Two new account names added to the list of people in the forum that have supported change to labyrinth. I too hope that GGG fixes the problem in 3.0. It would be in their best interest to do so.

The complete list is in the OP of this thread, Over 270 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 620 posters in support
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Jgizle wrote:
"
Reuel21 wrote:
Dunno if this has been suggested yet, but, it makes sense to me that 'ascendancy' points are logical to award when one 'ascends' to the next difficulty. So, grant 3 when a player beats normal difficulty, 3 more when they beat cruel and the last 2 when they beat merciless. When the game creates act V and goes to two difficulty levels, give 4 and 4 or some such.

Bump up loot quality a bit for clearing lab and between enchants and loot, folks still would have a reason to run it.

My 2 cents.

This is a bad suggestion. Making it to the next difficulty does not qualify as ascending.

Likewise any method of getting points out of lab is dumb. These are not regular passive points. One of these is worth several normal passive tree nodes. These are far more powerful. You must complete content as strong as the nodes you unlock. Izaro is the strongest in the game with the exception of maybe shaper. Beating him is what qualifies as ascending.

The only other option is allowing people to get AC points by killing shaper. Lets see how many people would rather do that fight than Izaro.

Ascending is whatever GGG makes it be, and my feedback on this topic does not presume to be factual; it is simply my idea for removing such 'ascension' from the lab. That is, beating the end game story boss can most certainly be construed as 'ascending'.

Your suggestion of tying ascension to shaper would render these points essentially unavailable to 95% of the player population, which I think is a poor idea for obvious reasons. You are correct that ascendancy points are huge bumps to power and build enabling in many cases. They are fun to get and should be accessible to most players at certain benchmarks of gameplay. I recall Chris stating a while ago that a low percentage of players ever even make it out of normal difficulty, so I think providing players a nice significant bonus for ascending to the next difficulty might work quite well and reward players for sticking with the game.

You have strong opinions about the matter which is fine, but limiting access to players' getting ascension points by tying them to shaper is the wrong direction, in my opinion.

Turtledove, i just want to compliment you on the amazing job you have done by keeping track of every lab related thread while also continuing with Zaludoz's list of people against the lab. Your persistence is admirable and i appreciate the work you've done.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
"
Reuel21 wrote:
"
Jgizle wrote:
"
Reuel21 wrote:
Dunno if this has been suggested yet, but, it makes sense to me that 'ascendancy' points are logical to award when one 'ascends' to the next difficulty. So, grant 3 when a player beats normal difficulty, 3 more when they beat cruel and the last 2 when they beat merciless. When the game creates act V and goes to two difficulty levels, give 4 and 4 or some such.

Bump up loot quality a bit for clearing lab and between enchants and loot, folks still would have a reason to run it.

My 2 cents.

This is a bad suggestion. Making it to the next difficulty does not qualify as ascending.

Likewise any method of getting points out of lab is dumb. These are not regular passive points. One of these is worth several normal passive tree nodes. These are far more powerful. You must complete content as strong as the nodes you unlock. Izaro is the strongest in the game with the exception of maybe shaper. Beating him is what qualifies as ascending.

Ascending is whatever GGG makes it be, and my feedback on this topic does not presume to be factual; it is simply my idea for removing such 'ascension' from the lab. That is, beating the end game story boss can most certainly be construed as 'ascending'.

Your suggestion of tying ascension to shaper would render these points essentially unavailable to 95% of the player population, which I think is a poor idea for obvious reasons. You are correct that ascendancy points are huge bumps to power and build enabling in many cases. They are fun to get and should be accessible to most players at certain benchmarks of gameplay. I recall Chris stating a while ago that a low percentage of players ever even make it out of normal difficulty, so I think providing players a nice significant bonus for ascending to the next difficulty might work quite well and reward players for sticking with the game.

You have strong opinions about the matter which is fine, but limiting access to players' getting ascension points by tying them to shaper is the wrong direction, in my opinion.

It is no longer accurate data that chris used. The data he uses is based on all players who ever played poe, including bots. To be clear his data is based on over 11 million accounts. I think we all know the active player base is not even 200k at best. Just steam alone has less than 40k and thats the most popular program for finding new games on pc. I can assume about half the playerbase is using the official client and half is using the steam client. Maybe at most double on official client. Still not close to the % that is used by Chris.

Most people do complete up to merciless who are not bots. Maybe a majority just quits in merciless as its a bit harder than cruel.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info