Firewatch - A decent walking simulator? [Spoilers pg 3]

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Sitting on Life Is Strange for now. It occupies the same space as the Telltale games for me in terms of what I'm likely to play mood-wise.

Can it be said that Dear Esther was sort of an earlier version of these so-called 'walking simulators'? I dislike that name, even if it's official. It seems to rob these beautifully immersive experiences of what they really have to offer. It's like calling Monkey Island a word clicking game or something. Or Flower a flying seed simulator.

Can you think of a better Genre name for those games that the "masses" will easily be able to recognise? :)

Immersion Games? Sounds like a terrible committee chosen name for a new EA inhouse studio.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Tried Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Don't like it. Graphics are nice, didn't get hooked into the story even slightly.

Ran around for a while, did a few things, found a spaceman, followed him, ended up in space, ended up in a treehouse, completely missed any hint of symbolism, got bored, stopped playing.

Very disappointed, so many good reviews. I wonder what I did wrong.

try Hotline Miami if youre in the mood for some cool indie stuff. Amazing layered story, 80s Cocaine Cowboys Miami and great gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgXM7ivgYTo

Played it, enjoyed it, can't relate the top-down twitch shooting to my current desires.

Hotline Miami 1 and 2 often fill the empty soundtrack space on my POE playing sessions.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Feb 20, 2016, 9:17:34 PM
Sweet nait! I love those soundtracks so much. You liked gone home right? Devolver published some real gems, recently I enjoyed not a hero. More of a side scroller than a walking sim but it was really fun. Gods will be watching looks weird but I have t tried it yet. It's a game about trying to save people from torture
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Feb 20, 2016, 9:29:16 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
...fuckingmasses...*grumble* No, I really can't, but I figure anyone who's going to dismiss it with that genre doesn't have any business with it in the first place, so shouldn't be fucking labeling it.

Interactive story works for me, but that's too broad for most.

No no no.

Some of my anime loving students gave me a game to play that was an "Interactive Story", it turned out to be a Japanese dating sim set in a special needs school. I'm not going to be able to deal with having these games in the same category as that.

Anyways, aren't categories themselves pretty much dismissive by nature? POE is an ARPG. Bioshock is an FPS. Need for Speed Underground 2 is a Racing Game. Limbo is a Platformer.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Feb 20, 2016, 11:08:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info