Firewatch - A decent walking simulator? [Spoilers pg 3]

Thanks for that recommendation, I think I'll give this a go when I get home. It doesn't look like a very long or exploration-heavy game, which is unfortunate, but it definitely looks fun enough to drain a few hours at least.

Thanks nait :)
Need some help? Contact us at support@grindinggear.com

Queen of Padlocks
I started playing this!! (Finished it too)

It made me feel human emotions.
Did you end up finishing Firewatch nait? If you did, what did you think?

Overall I think the game was worth the price (especially with the Lunar Sale ;P), but I'd hesitate to vehemently recommend it to anyone else.

This is a spoiler box.
I was crying in the first few minutes (anyone who's played will know why). It was just as, or possibly more heart-wrenching than the beginning sequence of 'Up', and more believable/relatable in my opinion.

After that I really enjoyed the story and the interactions of the characters. I won't go into more detail for those who haven't played it (this game is all about the story, after all). What brings this game down for me is ending. It was suuuper disappointing and kind of left the story hanging in a not-hanging kind of way. That sounds confusing, what I mean to say is that the story very obviously concluded in an unsatisfying way that had no closure.

So, while most of the game was great, I would only recommend it as a 'if you have a free afternoon you might enjoy this' kind of way, not in a 'you need to go buy this right now and not do anything else until you've finished it' way.

Queen of Padlocks
"
Yeah, I finished Firewatch. At first I was a bit let down, but I thought about it for a while and realised that it made sense.

Spoiler
I kind of figured that the actual game was played in the first few minutes that you mentioned. The rest - the whole conspiracy plot, the outcome of Ned and Brian, and even most of your interaction with Delilah, are all just part of a scene transition between the beginning of the game and the unseen epilogue where Henry finally realises that he has to face the reality that is created at the start.

The game is the few choices you make at the start, the gameplay itself is like a fantasy filler until Henry finally wakes up from his dream of not having to face his life. Kind of ironic, in a way, that one of the few Walking Sims that has a run button is mostly about learning not to run from things.

I'm in the same boat as far as recommendations go. If you like these kind of games, you'll probably really like the first part of the story. Which is not too bad, because the job is done at that point, and the rest doesn't really matter.

Spoiler
I did some more reading after I finished it, sort of hoping I'd find some continuation or mini-story, a bit like Pottermore fleshed out the Harry Potter world (although on a much larger scale).

Anyway, I came across a review that said the ending was perfect because it was realistic. We know this isn't a supernatural game and that it involves two normal people. Yet when the story starts escalating, we jump on the conspiracy train along with Delilah and Henry. Then at the end of the game the characters and player are brought back to reality very quickly, and of course in reality not everything is wrapped up nicely with no regrets for past actions or qualms about changing the nature of a relationship.

In the rush to get on the helicopter, and the haunting revelation that she could have

Major spoilers
saved that kid's life
Delilah makes a split decision that she doesn't want to wait to meet someone who probably knows too much about her for her liking, and is also running from their own past. I can't blame her, I'd probably do the same.

Of course, that might just be an excuse for a poor ending, but it sort of made sense when I finished the game at 5am :P

Queen of Padlocks
I haven't played Firewatch yet but in terms of walking simulators I really enjoyed Gone Home. It doesn't have much gameplay to speak of, but the idea of going around a house and looking at everything to uncover a story is unique. There's something intimate and personal about it.

It does require that you actually care about the story to enjoy it though, which I think is the case for most of these sorts of games.

Contact us at support@grindinggear.com if you need any help!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info