Difference between melee and range builds.

Some quotes i want you to see GGG!

Spoiler
"
Emphasy wrote:
"
Andrius319 wrote:

1. Playstyle

Warcries were a nice thought to improve Melee however they have one terrible flaw, they are awful to use. When I imagine a warrior in the heat of battle I guess he is able to shout while swinging his weapon. Yeah he should be cabable of that, they are often not the brightest but if men are cabable of something it is shouting while doing something else and woman are cabable of multitasking anyway. I would even limit this to attacks, since silence hurts casters it is obvious they need their voice for casting and you cannot cast a spell and shout at the same time. This would mean that whenever you press the button for your shout it is cast instant and does not interrupt your movement or attack. That would make Enduring Cry or all the others feel so much better.

"
Wiesl_1404 wrote:
True melee is in a diffcult spot at the moment i feel. GGG has to balance around the potential of high end melee damage with good gear only the top 10% of players can achieve. If you would buff melee weapons in midgame, endgame weapons would become even more insane.

TLDR: Melee would need a exclusive mobility buff (movement speed, movement skills range buff) and some mechanical AoE buffs to compete with ranged and not primarily a damage buff - most melee skills have good damage since 2.0.

Spells are easy to balance because there is only the gem itself and its possible supports to consider - so making a spell deal 40% less damage next patch is an easy balancing task, it also can be balanced through levels in every game stage (does more damage in early game, loses scaling in lategame). So i think well balanced spells are completly fine.

Bows are a big balancing nightmare, because there are so many different ways to scale bow damage in the game. Early game bow builds are very slow due to the lack of dps from the weapon but the better the bow gets, the more insane the clear speed becomes. With even more tools to scale bow damage coming with Acendancy i think bow top end damage or crit needs to be lowerd to keep their potential in check.

Melee has one big problem despite the ones already mentioned (less AoE, has to move more to conect damage with the target, less available support gems to scale damage) - the fact that spectral throw exists.
Spectral Throw is the whole reason why phyical melee weapons can't be buffed that much in terms of numbers and aquisition. If you would buff melee weapons damage spectral throw would become OP and the new meta "again", if you would nerf spectral throw further while buffing melee weapons, spectral throw becomes a useless skill which nobody wants.
Another problem is how elemental conversion scaling works in PoE - if you buff the base damage of melee weapons stuff like Hatred and Added fire and WED would become insane multipliers.

Physical damage is, besides direct chaos damage, the best damage type in the game - at high levels it deals basically "true damage" to any mob in the game, even to bosses due to armour works in PoE. So GGG has also consider this fact (you can already see what happens when physical damage gets out of hand - just take a look at SWT, Bladfall etc.

But, as already mentioned, all the damage would not be that relevant in the end - it's mechanics and mob encounters what determine if melee is good or bad. Currently ranged is heavily favored in nearly every endgame szenario over melee.
If GGG could introduce mobs, more mechanics and endgame bosses which shit on ranged characters and don't harm melee that hard in comparison that would be great for the game overall.

Example:
Fast mobs which go close combat immediately with a gap closer and maim/slow the player while attacking. The mob should be highly resistant against projectiles or take less damage the further it is away from the player - another proximity shield like mechanic would also be great to see.
Or GGG could make use out of the new phasing mechanic on mobs (while phasing mobs take %less damage from ranged attacks and spells)

Over all, i personally think that Ascendancy will bring some sort of true melee builds back to the game. Ascendany classes will be a huge deal in building characters. Duelist, Marauder and Ranger look great for melee builds as i can tell even a elemental melee templar looks nice now.

What would also help melee are nerfs to Lightning Coil and Taste of Hate - as physical damage becomes spell casters automatically become weaker in terms of damage because they would have to invest more into physical mitigation - Bows still remain a problem due to easy acess to evasion and acrobatics cluster. Buffing mob elemental damage would be the solution for that but this would shit on melee evasion and armour builds as well... a difficult task indeed.
Last edited by Visuv on Jan 15, 2016, 3:56:53 AM
"
Sa_Re wrote:
"
Mahesys wrote:

With mid players you mean lvl 50 --> 75? because any player with a little skill, knowledge and good tree can level as melee with self found gear without dieing easily.

Not really, no. If you don't find a decent weapon for your build in late cruel/early merc, you're fucked, at least in selffound HC.

Yes, really yes

I leveled loads of melee players completely solo and self found with rare rustic + wetstone recipe and random drops only (for merciless regal + master craft = cruise all merciless)

Two handers are even easier since 2h weapons have insane damage.

I'm for sure not the only one.
Good point about the self-found situation.

That was the problem with my first character that got to 80. She was using Spectral Throw (before crit became the meta, and long before Mathil's buzzsaw build, same patch ST came out) and Heavy Strike for bosses, and I was simply stuck because I had no suitable weapon. I also had a ranger that got stuck in early merciless because I had no good bow. Both characters fizzled out.

In the next league I then designed my own Flame Totem build (before everyone and their mother started using Flame Totem), which made it really smooth. Self-found was no problem and I got to 90 and into non-entry mapping.

By now I found some nice melee items in both SC and HC, so I could probably play melee, but most people don't want to collect gear for two or more years before they play melee. :) Well, if they are self-found anyway. To be fair, master crafting did improve the situation a little, too. It's overall less dire than it used to be. Just still a long distance from where a self-found player could pick up a melee build as easily as a totem user or caster, especially in leagues.
By mid-tier players i meant players that have moderate or low wealth/wealth accruing skills or even selffound casuals

These players are thrown into maps (that is if they do not get frustrated and quit) with 190pdps sword.

Can you imagine how 'fun' it is to play with this weapon? Not only it is slow but it is dangerous because people are forced to put passives into offense at the cost of defense

Each time i read that melee is fine i know that the poster has mirrored/top 1% weapon. He then can spec i to few damage passives and foxus on defense. Auch characters are tanky indeed. But if one has to spec i to dps because he has only crap weapon.. well..

Most players do not trade and even if they trade infrequently and ineffectively (you know.. mirror for 2ex and 5 necro). For them getting a good enough weapon (300pdps non crit is the threshold for me) to start speccing more into defense is pretty much impossible

Also compare 'budget' endgame. Crit low life voltaxic (shavs, volt, rats and maligaros) is like 10-15ex. It does uber for breakfest. Complete faceroll. Compare that to atziris axe cyclone that starts to drop off in red maps and has little chance vs uber thrash. (I ignore binos here as it is broken currently).

At ultimate toptop maybe melee shines.. but who cares when ranged can do the same way easier cheaper and earlier..

Note on self found. It is helps but requires mindless masters grind each league. And on budget.. would anyone pick kaoms primacy over chin sol if one had to do a fast clearing build? You can do soooo much more on a budget when ranged esp bows
"
sidtherat wrote:
By mid-tier players i meant players that have moderate or low wealth/wealth accruing skills or even selffound casuals

These players are thrown into maps (that is if they do not get frustrated and quit) with 190pdps sword.

Can you imagine how 'fun' it is to play with this weapon? Not only it is slow but it is dangerous because people are forced to put passives into offense at the cost of defense

Each time i read that melee is fine i know that the poster has mirrored/top 1% weapon. He then can spec i to few damage passives and foxus on defense. Auch characters are tanky indeed. But if one has to spec i to dps because he has only crap weapon.. well..

Most players do not trade and even if they trade infrequently and ineffectively (you know.. mirror for 2ex and 5 necro). For them getting a good enough weapon (300pdps non crit is the threshold for me) to start speccing more into defense is pretty much impossible

Also compare 'budget' endgame. Crit low life voltaxic (shavs, volt, rats and maligaros) is like 10-15ex. It does uber for breakfest. Complete faceroll. Compare that to atziris axe cyclone that starts to drop off in red maps and has little chance vs uber thrash. (I ignore binos here as it is broken currently).

At ultimate toptop maybe melee shines.. but who cares when ranged can do the same way easier cheaper and earlier..

Note on self found. It is helps but requires mindless masters grind each league. And on budget.. would anyone pick kaoms primacy over chin sol if one had to do a fast clearing build? You can do soooo much more on a budget when ranged esp bows

You right, rangers can do everything what melee can, but 5000 times cheaper and better, lol even in times faster!
Melee require lots lots lots defense and even with extra 3-4k HP (EXTRA) they still suffer from overloads damage that monsters do. GGG buff extreme monsters damage after each patch, but defense still as we at 2012, while monster damage as 2016.

GGG vision simple - Crits or GTFO! So, non crit melee out of meta so hard and Cyclone nerf was just because of CoC, as we all knew CoC using Cyclone, not physical builds after nerf.

GGG could make Cyclone NOT working with ANY spells like they do with Bloodlust gem, but we all knew that never happen.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
HEY OP!!!
just gonna start off by saying your post really made me laugh because we have the exact same mindset as to how we play, I too pretty much only play shadow and also as a melee tank class and I'm wondering what builds you play, would love to see some feel free to msg me.

I only ever play reave (not even that melee) but I just started a double strike build and I must say I'm loving it so much more, only lvl 74 in HC talisman with 5k hp 10k armour and 80%phys reduction (with 5 charges) and 15k dps(17k with vaal haste)and this is with very basic gear no single piece costing more then 10c and I feel godlike atm and i havent even gone crit yet which should be amazing when i do.

Oh and you said about wasting loads of skill points going into the marauder for more armour, if this is still the case with you, you really dont need to all of my armour pretty much comes from my shield as the shadow tree has a really nice ammount of shield nodes that you can take instead of wasting skill points going to the marauder tree.

I'm having loads of fun with this character but it would be nice to see some of your builds too maybe we can share some skill trees just send me a msg buddy!!!
Melee should have more life, damage and speed than ranged. That`s realistic.
"
Mahesys wrote:
for merciless regal + master craft = cruise all merciless
Regal? in merciless? while SSF? wtf did I just read?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
"
Mahesys wrote:

The guy has forgotten that there are no Regals self found until a player gets his character to level 75 zones and completes a recipe for one. That is, assuming he makes it there as a self found melee. lol
"
"
silumit wrote:
"
Mahesys wrote:

The guy has forgotten that there are no Regals self found until a player gets his character to level 75 zones and completes a recipe for one. That is, assuming he makes it there as a self found melee. lol

You can still technically find a regal before level 75 zones.

Just saying.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info