Difference between melee and range builds.

"
RagnarokChu wrote:

If I'm not going to trade for regals which are dirt cheap then what am I saving the regals for? (Or buy a decent weapon for 1c) The mythical time I find a ilvl84 when I start farming t12+ maps?

What you guys quoted was to regal a decent weapon to be able to master craft it to go through merc.

You do usually find a regal by then, and since your self-found anyway I have no idea why you would be worrying about your "shitty weapon" when you need it to progress to maps.

You would alt the weapon until you got a decent +- flat roll or % roll and then regal + craft the other one. In case none of you actually attempted to progress self-found. If you extra jewish you can use the rustic stash + blacksmith stone with a weapon to automatically roll %pdamage.

You know powercreep is real when people believe that it's a problem that if you're not steamrolling through the entire game with 0 farming involved or effort even leveling the character.

Don't get me wrong ranged > melee in general but we don't need to throw in "solo-self found" in every thread.

Very rarely have I found a Regal while leveling a character in a new league. Many times don't come across the appropriate master.
Depending on your build you could also just buy a leveling unique. Voidhome destroys everything (although you have to play a bit more to level up... but playing more is fun isn't it?), Rigwalds is quite strong or Terminus. It is a bit harder for 1h weapons. Mightflay works for a long time but beyond that there isn't much.

And for early mapping there is always Kaoms Primacy for 2h. Actually Trollnir isn't a bad weapon early on for 1h chars and it is likely pretty damn cheap.

Of course that is not possible if you play truly selffound but if you do then you could just use some cheap currency like regals to make a good weapon. If you are selffound it is rather likely that you will never use them for exalt crafting anyway before having good access to them by the regal recipe.

Some of you guys speak of Regal orbs as if they drop like candy. I play through entire 3-4 month leagues without ever finding one! Am I the only one this happens to?
"
Some of you guys speak of Regal orbs as if they drop like candy. I play through entire 3-4 month leagues without ever finding one! Am I the only one this happens to?

they talk about t15 200 iiq 50 ps 90 iir map when you ran one you can find a regal.
"

The thing is, you don't even need a regal AT ALL

Is really that hard to find ANY rare 90%+ phys dmg weapon with an open prefix or suffix?

All you need to do is reaching 100% MF (EEEEEEEEASILY doable by anyone) and farming cruel Voll or Merc Butus / Merveil

After some time a good weapon will drop, along with loads of alteration ecc. ecc.

As for masters: you need a level TWO Vagan (6 alts) or a level FOUR Vagan (2 chaos) to roll flat physical or attack speed, wow it's SO impossible to reach level 4 master by A4 Curel -.-'

Mabe it's level 3-5 i dunno if wiki is up to date

As for MF:

2X gold ring = 20%
1X gold amulet = 15%
helmet with 15%
Item rarity gem with 50%

This alone grants 100% MF without any specific iir roll on gear, 150% it's an easy reach and grants loads of rare items from bosses like these ones:

Please note i said "Farming" because, as self found, you're expected to farm for your gear, if you guys expect to have the gear handed to you at regular intervals, you're so wrong

Also, where are the SF players when we need them? :/
SF guys are playing casters firt so they do not have to deal with this.

I tried playing with such basic crafted weapons. It is painful. It is dangerous as you have to supplement your 150pdsp sword with passives. Also the fights take so long that the risk of accidental bs death rises greatly.

It is faaaar easier cheaper and safer to do SF leveling with a +1 spell sceptre (even using non fotm spell). Not to mention that uniwue bows (you know the 1alch items) are all great twinks.

Btw granites in new league are not cheap
i have played both melee and range characters, i have to say anything range has huge amount more damage and clear speed, as i like melee, i always feel like im not effective.

i would like to make a suggestion to GGG

you need to change how armor works for melee characters and you also need rework how shields work

i personally think melee needs more damage big time and more damage mitigation

i would like if phy damage reduction from armor scales higher then it currently does

i also would like if all shields would have a base spell block and projectile block higher then it currently is and labeled in the item

i would also like more melee buff gems that can help with close range tanking so there is no pathetic 1hitting or 1shotting, that is the problem, GGG does not understand no one likes 1hitting or 1 shotting, its a salty death and people rage quit i already seen 2 of my guild members alt f4 due to the mundane bs like 1hit, i also don't agree with life nerf, i get you all want ES be better, but why not just BUFF ES AND BAM all good, idk but GGG needs to fix melee we need be FACE TANKS not just a meat bag that gets 1hitted all the dam time, its not fun GGG at all, ask yourself this is getting punished fun? no, a hard game is a challenge and fun, but out right punished and having no choice but to just die, thats not fun, many hardcore POE fans will defend it all, but truth is this game is not skill at all, does not take skill, its all about RNG, bring some skill for us , so its the player skill that shines, let the range characters have there glass cannon, but let us have more player skill involed for melee, and let us have options in dealing with 1shotting and 1hitted , we dont have a option if games says we dead, we are dead, and nothing no build or anything could of stop that 1shot, if all the things line up and that crit lands regardless of your build and how OP you are if a 24k crit lands a 24k crit lands regardless and we cannot stop it, as much as we want to be able to make tank characters, we really can't.
How are these the same arguments being made after 2.0 when they literally did everything you asked for in 2.0 up to this very last patch?

I could join the circle jerk and agree with everything or I could make you guys wonder why or better yet ask you to explain some of the logic and reasoning about things here.

People say melee needs different things, part of the issue here is the way PoE fundamentally works. It doesn't limit skill set or playstyle by the class you choose, the fundamentally is going to create issues because they can't resort to the easiest way to solve or at least partially address issues among the different playstyles. In a game like D3, they have 30% damage mitigation built into the melee classes, but even in that game melee characters can have pseudo ranged abilities or builds, which is essentially the same logical problem as PoE where playstyles are reaping benefits not designed for them.

Melee in or since 2.0 have gotten the following:

Fortify, damage reduction from hits.
Reduced mana cost of skills, some still scale others don't increase or increase much with levels.
Generic leech on the tree, this allows for ele builds or regular builds to get more leech.
Armor formula buffed to be more useful.

I'm sure there is more, but to say these are still issues, despite GGG buffing melee is concerning. People want to utterly destroy playstyle options that people enjoy, just because they feel like the playstyle they want is less viable, when all actuality is it is just as viable, just maybe less efficient at least later in the league or as you progress its still very much playable.

If anything melee players should be complaining about how cyclone got utterly destroyed in the latest patch, they took one of the best melee attack gems in the game and made it such a bad gem where you literally need a single target setup for it.

Side rant.

I'm currently playing melee in d3 and I absolutely enjoy it, the only real difference aside from melee\ranged in D3 is the classes have that innate reduction built in, some smaller differences like almost all the melee classes have complete party buffs like damage reduction and passive auras. That doesn't mean though that ranged don't either, the WD has damage buffs\debuffs, the wizard has a sick damage reduction\buffing\ect bubble and the DH has a mark like thing that IMO is just like a curse. If you look at the way the characters work in that game, theres always a reason to play something because they limit what skills\playstyle you can do basically from your class start, that isn't something PoE is designed around so this struggle where people want melee and ranged to somehow be closer in line is nearly impossible.

Overall though I'm fairly sick of these threads as I feel like GGG literally did everything but "destroy the ranged playstyle" that is on the requested things here and its basically the same request over and over.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
I'm sure there is more, but to say these are still issues, despite GGG buffing melee is concerning. People want to utterly destroy playstyle options that people enjoy, just because they feel like the playstyle they want is less viable, when all actuality is it is just as viable, just maybe less efficient at least later in the league or as you progress its still very much playable.

The thing is that there are two different complains about melee. I can't really dig the power one, because that is true for so many things in PoE. Powerlevels always vary and there is a lot besides Melee that struggles. That is just how it is.

However what I would like to see is some improvements in terms of playstyle for melees. Fortify should be something that is at least on those single target melee attacks giving them a niche they are not yet occupying. This would mean that you could have a single target setup that also provides Fortify for you or you could stick Fortify to your movement skill or your main attack. The more I think about that Fortify should just be granted by using a Melee attack (and that is the melee component of it, not LS projectiles etc). The Fortify Skillgem would then be used to extent Fortify to movement skills for other classes or to minions.

Right now Melees have so many things to do that all interrupt their playstyle that it is hard to actually attack enemies. You want two shouts which means that you interrupt every 3 seconds or so. You need to fortify every 6 seconds (or 8?) and all that interrupts your regular attacks but is required to do well. A very simple suggestion would be to allow shouting while attacking (not while casting) and moving. Not that benefitial for ranged chars and not at all beneficial to casters.

If just granting Fortify is too strong than how about adding that to Resolute Technique? Right now this keystone sucks due to the loss of damage. But considering the theme Resolute Technique would actually make sense if you add "Your Melee Attacks Fortify you". Because instead of going for risky high damage hits your character would be more konservative and careful which could be reflected with not only not missing but also being more aware of enemies attacks which could be shown by Fortify.

Those changes wouldn't make Melee super strong but more fun to play. Running around Shouting and Slashing enemies is really fun, it is actually something that makes Diablo 3 fun in those regards. They sacrifice fancy animations for shouts for the ability to cast them while whirling around or hacking at enemies (although not all of them). So if you have secondary abilities you need to use, which interrupt your fluent play it is just so annoying so making those instant and usable while attacking would go a long way with making melee not better but more fun.
Last edited by Emphasy on Jan 20, 2016, 11:07:19 AM
"
Emphasy wrote:
"

The thing is that there are two different complains about melee. I can't really dig the power one, because that is true for so many things in PoE. Powerlevels always vary and there is a lot besides Melee that struggles. That is just how it is.

However what I would like to see is some improvements in terms of playstyle for melees. Fortify should be something that is at least on those single target melee attacks giving them a niche they are not yet occupying. This would mean that you could have a single target setup that also provides Fortify for you or you could stick Fortify to your movement skill or your main attack. The more I think about that Fortify should just be granted by using a Melee attack (and that is the melee component of it, not LS projectiles etc). The Fortify Skillgem would then be used to extent Fortify to movement skills for other classes or to minions.

Right now Melees have so many things to do that all interrupt their playstyle that it is hard to actually attack enemies. You want two shouts which means that you interrupt every 3 seconds or so. You need to fortify every 6 seconds (or 8?) and all that interrupts your regular attacks but is required to do well. A very simple suggestion would be to allow shouting while attacking (not while casting) and moving. Not that benefitial for ranged chars and not at all beneficial to casters.

If just granting Fortify is too strong than how about adding that to Resolute Technique? Right now this keystone sucks due to the loss of damage. But considering the theme Resolute Technique would actually make sense if you add "Your Melee Attacks Fortify you". Because instead of going for risky high damage hits your character would be more konservative and careful which could be reflected with not only not missing but also being more aware of enemies attacks which could be shown by Fortify.

Those changes wouldn't make Melee super strong but more fun to play. Running around Shouting and Slashing enemies is really fun, it is actually something that makes Diablo 3 fun in those regards. They sacrifice fancy animations for shouts for the ability to cast them while whirling around or hacking at enemies (although not all of them). So if you have secondary abilities you need to use, which interrupt your fluent play it is just so annoying so making those instant and usable while attacking would go a long way with making melee not better but more fun.

2 shouts? You mean Warcries ? The only one that melee "needs" is enduring cry and you don't have to cast it off cooldown you have quite a long duration of endurance charges assuming your getting 1-2 nodes in the tree AND you can corrupt your unique jewels to get increased charge duration as well.

I don't recall off the top of my head but a 20\20 fortify does last a pretty long duration, if you aren't using it in your main skill thats fine, I think your probably using it in leap spam or whirling blade then, which neither take much time if your invested into attackspeed.

I think they could have or might have wanted to add fortify as part of the tree naturally that people can pickup, but adding it specifically to RT isn't a good idea IMO. People bash the keystone as if it was shit, but its extremely popular for 2 handed non staff builds for a reason, its extremely strong. At one point we saw or someone data mined a fortify jewel, obviously that never made it into the game.

People also have to keep in mind casting a warcry is EXTREMELY fast and doesn't really slowdown gameplay at all, does it behave like D3 no, is that what would be required to make melee "good" idk. I know last patch tons of people played cyclone because it was good, now its probably 80% used for cast on crit, but GGG likes to release numbers and make players believe the skill wasn't utterly destroyed. Still the duelist ascendancy tree that gives free splash AND free unwavering while leeching might make these single target skills insanely good and allow for them to rebuff cyclone a bit.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info