Critical Strike Affliction Support

"
Vipermagi wrote:
It applies to any Poison Damage dealt with the linked Skill.
Poison is a binary trigger, like always. You either do Poison the enemy, or you don't, and the Poison support alone gets you 100% Chance to Poison. It's a bit of a moot point.

That's not the question I was asking but maybe I don't understand the mechanic fully.

This gem applies a stack of poison to the target when the supported skill hits. Now I assume that because poison can stack, if I support viper strike with the poison support gem, then every attack with viper strike will apply TWO stacks of poison-one from the poison support, and one from viper strike itself. If I used these with adders touch I would expect that sometimes there would be THREE stacks, and of course each individual stack would have varying lengths and damages based on the source that applied it.

If I understand you correctly you are saying it doesn't work that way, you are saying each hit can only apply one stack of poison. If that is the case what happens when I use viper strike supported by the poison gem? How long and how strong would the poison be?
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
If I understand you correctly you are saying it doesn't work that way, you are saying each hit can only apply one stack of poison. If that is the case what happens when I use viper strike supported by the poison gem? How long and how strong would the poison be?

Correct, Viper Strike supported with the Poison Support will only apply one stack of Poison per Hit. The only thing the Poison Support will do for Viper Strike, is grant a chunk of Increased Damage with Poison.

Adder's Touch, Viper Strike and the Poison Support are all the same modifier: Chance to Poison on Hit, at 100% chance (or, 'always'). Because they are the same mechanic, they function the same (aside from VS' duration modifier), and benefit from the same multipliers.

Viper Strike modifies Poison's base Duration to 8 seconds, up from the default duration of 2 seconds.
Poison's Damage per Second is equal to 10% of Physical plus Chaos Damage dealt.

"
ZeuZLoD wrote:
So with Essence Drain and the support gem Poison, on the initial hit of Essence Drain it applies a poison that deals 10% of the initial damage hit over 2 seconds? Sorry i'm just a tad confused on the support gem since it doesn't say how the damage is calculated.

Poison deals 10% of the initial Chaos Damage, per second.
With its default duration of 2 seconds, that's a total of 20% of your Damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 20, 2015, 5:21:43 PM
"
Idioticus wrote:
I don't know why I would use the poison gem.

Poison has a base dps of 10% of the phys and chaos damage dealt, for the purpose of physical spells, that's simply put just 10% extra dps. max level poison adds 120% increased poison damage making it a total of 22% extra dps. With the small cluster near the dodge cluster, we get a grand total of 34,5% extra dps from the poison gem.
That's a support gem + 3 nodes. And that dps comes as a dot. (If I also add in the chaos+phys nodes, for a further 86% increase in chaos, I get a grand total of 43,1% of extra dps from poison, but that's 10 nodes now in total).

OR...

Added fire gives me instant 44% fire damage on top of my physical, no nodes required.

And to add further insult to injury, if I use phys to light to avoid getting shredded by phys reflect, poison support has half the effect it normally would.

So how would I be able to use poison? It seems like it's not a good support gem at all.

Don't forget its 10% of the phy/chaos part of your hit over two seconds, so that's 86% of your original hit by your calculations.
On top of that you can also run the DoT notables in the Shadow area for another 65% damage over time for 5 points, and some regen for Blood Frenzy.
Next there's Vulnerability for another 33%, and your frenzy charges add 4% more damage per charge over all of that.
By my calculations, when my char is finished, the poison dot will deal more damage than the original hit. Doesnt feel bad.
So if I understand you correctly, my original question was what would happen of you supported viper strike with level 20 poison gem. I take it that the poison would be applied at 8 seconds as per viper strikes application (not randomly chosen) and then the poison damage would be increased by 120%.

Is that correct?
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Yes. Like I said, "The only thing the Poison Support will do for Viper Strike, is grant a chunk of Increased Damage with Poison." :)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 21, 2015, 1:05:47 PM
1) How does poison from bow/projectile attacks work with Point blank (keystone/support gem) and Chin Sol?

Chin Sol says 100% Bow Damage, so I assume it won't double dip again.

Point blank however just says 50% more damage, so.. maybe? (and if you attack from a distance, it will get a double nerf to poison)

2) How does the poison from viper strike work on the melee splash targets?. Melee splash says X% less damage to surrounding targets. So will the poison from viper strike also be X% less on those splashed targets?

(Unfortunately, if this the case, viper strike (Aoe) has been nerfed in a way with the new poison mechanic).

3) similarly for Multistrike which says less Attack damage. Since poison is not attack damage, then it shouldn't effect the poison damage?

1. Point Blank specifies it only applies to Attacks. Damage over Time is never Attack Damage.
2. Just like it used to in the past, yes.
3. See 1. :P
Hey so just to clarify. With the poison support gem and Caustic arrow you have to hit the target with the arrow for the poison to apply. So only the targeted enemy would be affected by the poison stack and not the monsters in the dot cloud? Would be cool if somehow the initial dot tick of caustic arrow can trigger poison too.
Correct.

Damage over Time does not function in ticks, there is no 'initial tick'.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 22, 2015, 9:49:26 AM
I have a question regarding the interaction of Viper Strike with other ways get poison on hit (the Poison Support Gem, Adder's Touch, etc.). I understand that Viper Strike poisons 100% of the time and only one stack of poison can be applied per action. My question is if I have chance to poison on hit besides Viper Strike (the Poison support gem, Adder's Touch for example) and use Viper Strike, does the poison that is applied have the default 2 second duration or the 8 second duration from Viper Strike? I haven't fully tested it, but when I had Viper Strike linked to Poison, the poison duration seemed to decrease quite a bit. I'm also not sure how this is intended to work, so if Viper Strike's poison duration is not overridden by Poison or Adder's Touch, I feel like they might be worth using again. Many thanks.
Last edited by fyresrequiem on Dec 22, 2015, 5:10:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info