Critical Strike Affliction Support

Glad to see they made DOT dmg more viable with lots of new talents and support skills. Having a blast with this support and similar gems. Thanks GGG.
After reading this thread, I'm still not entirely clear on the skill's specifics. Would be really nice if someone in the know clarified them.

I have 2 questions to clarify:
1. Increased/reduced skill duration mods DO NOT affect the poison gem's default duration of 2 seconds - yes or no? I guess yes, because poison dot effect is not a skill and therefore can't be increased by these mods.

2. I want to understand what scales poison damage in a specific situation:
I have Essence Drain supported by poison (poison on hit + increased poison damage) + controlled destruction (more spell damage) + void manipulation (more chaos damage) + rapid decay (more dot).
I also have the following damage mods on the passive tree: spell damage, chaos damage, projectile damage, damage over time.

I know that poison's damage is 10% of the hit's damage, per second, over 2 seconds.

The initial ED hit damage obviously gets modified by all those hit damage modifiers (spell, proj, chaos passives + more chaos and spell damage from 2 gems).

Poison's damage is 10% of that hit damage, which then gets modified by these - yes or no:
*chaos damage from passives - definitely yes, because it's chaos dot.
*damage over time from passives - definitely yes, because it's dot.
*projectile damage from passives - wiki says yes, because poison gem acquires properties of the linked active skill, but I'm not 100% sure.
*spell damage from passives - probably not, because if to use ignite scaling as analogy, then it shouldn't, but 100% I'm not sure.
*"more" spell damage modifier from support gem - probably not, for same reasons as above. Also - do even
*"more" chaos damage modifier from support gem - don't know.
*"more" damage over time modifier from support gem - don't know.
Last edited by T_Reich on Dec 18, 2015, 10:29:53 AM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
kaiserhose1 wrote:

It means that the stack of poison is useless
and it gives only 20% damage adds but not any more.

With proper support gems, nodes and frenzy charges, one can raise poison damage to 100% of hit damage per second, and even more. If triple damage isnt significant for you, then i dont know what is

Of cause, poison modifier can make more than 100%.
But I meant that the stack of poison is useless system.
If the second poison make the duraion of the first poison renewal - like Charge system - the poison will be much better.
And users will try to invest in attack, cast Speed. But at this point, there is no differnce between Big One Dmg attack and small frequent attack.
Last edited by kaiserhose1 on Dec 18, 2015, 7:20:07 AM
"
there is no differnce between Big One Dmg attack and small frequent attack.

i think thats the point so more styles of play are viable

question does the poison stack like the old viper strike only without the green orbs?(sorry if this has been asked all-ready might have missed it)
"
SirKalkanor wrote:
"
there is no differnce between Big One Dmg attack and small frequent attack.

i think thats the point so more styles of play are viable

question does the poison stack like the old viper strike only without the green orbs?(sorry if this has been asked all-ready might have missed it)

poe wiki
This skill now adds 10% of physical damage as Chaos Damage and has a 50% chance to deal 175% of the attack's damage as chaos damage over seven seconds. The effect duration won't be refreshed by new attacks, but there is no limit to how many Viper Strike debuffs an enemy can have

Old viper strike worked like current poison system ye.
If something is tagged with "AoE" and you link "poison" to it, will the "poison" dmg be further increased by "Aoe dmg" ?
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
I don't know why I would use the poison gem.

Poison has a base dps of 10% of the phys and chaos damage dealt, for the purpose of physical spells, that's simply put just 10% extra dps. max level poison adds 120% increased poison damage making it a total of 22% extra dps. With the small cluster near the dodge cluster, we get a grand total of 34,5% extra dps from the poison gem.
That's a support gem + 3 nodes. And that dps comes as a dot. (If I also add in the chaos+phys nodes, for a further 86% increase in chaos, I get a grand total of 43,1% of extra dps from poison, but that's 10 nodes now in total).

OR...

Added fire gives me instant 44% fire damage on top of my physical, no nodes required.

And to add further insult to injury, if I use phys to light to avoid getting shredded by phys reflect, poison support has half the effect it normally would.

So how would I be able to use poison? It seems like it's not a good support gem at all.
This gem says "x% increased damage with poison".

My question is does this modifier only apply to the poison applied by the gem itself, or also to other poisons applied by IE, adders touch, viper strike, etc when supported by this gem?
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Dec 19, 2015, 4:12:54 PM
It applies to any Poison Damage dealt with the linked Skill.
Poison is a binary trigger, like always. You either do Poison the enemy, or you don't, and the Poison support alone gets you 100% Chance to Poison. It's a bit of a moot point.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 19, 2015, 8:18:21 PM
So with Essence Drain and the support gem Poison, on the initial hit of Essence Drain it applies a poison that deals 10% of the initial damage hit over 2 seconds? Sorry i'm just a tad confused on the support gem since it doesn't say how the damage is calculated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info