[2.1] Dbum's Blade Vortex SuperTank [Block, MoM, EB, GR, Cybil's] HC Viable **Video Added**

Thats right Dbum is back with another "SuperTank" build. It has been a long time since that Nemesis 2h ST "SuperTank" build and I hope this build gets enjoyed just as much.

For those that remember me (if not hello and welcome) all my "SuperTank" builds used Mind Over Matter and Eldrich Battery. This build is no different, and is adding more tankiness with block, Ghost Reaver, and Cybil's Paw.

Preface

**Special thanks to yotmato for his Block Incinerate build (Rip) that inspired me to do this build.**

And to the GGG Team for yet another wonderful patch and league.

Well lets get started.

How this build works! (Read First)

~ Point 1 ~ We are using a very fast hitting spell Blade Vortex

Multiple fast hits with a spell works great with

We gain 5-8 (depending on your roll) life gained per spell hit. If we used a spell like Discharge we would gain the same life per monster hit but it's a very slow casting spell. So we go Blade Vortex for a crap ton of life gained per second.

~ Point 2 ~ We are also using Eldrich Battery (Keystone), which makes your energy shield protect your mana instead of life, as well as spend energy shield before mana. Ghost Reaver (Keystone), which allows us to leach energy shield instead of life lets us cast with energy shield then leach it back with life leach.

**Smash these 2 together and we get huge life gained per hit to keep our HP up and life leaching back our "mana" which is energy shield.**

~ Point 3 ~ Mind Over Matter (Keystone) allows us to reduce the damage we take on our life by 30% and applies it to our mana. Well since our mana is our energy shield it takes it from here. As in point 2 we leach our energy shield back enough to keep casting and taking damage.
Personally I didnt go Mind Over Matter till I had 1400es, but you could get away with 800 or so es.

~ Point 4 ~ We get a lot of block chance with this build. With some of our unique items like
we get a crap ton of spell block also. Combined with Cybil's Paw we gain a decent amount of spell power to buff our Blade Vortex and even "more" buffage with Controlled Destruction.

~ Point 5 ~ Blood Rage is amazing, it gives us 4% increased cast speed and 4% increased damage per Frenzy Charge. Put it on Cast When Damage Taken low level or self cast it, completely up to you. I put it on CWDT because I am lazy and rather look out for bad affix monsters that could kill me in Hardcore.

~ Point 6 ~ We do not get much damage in our passive tree, but we do get a few notables (not keystones but big skill nodes). We get Warriors Blood which gives us 12% increased physical damage which will apply to spells, melee, or bow attacks. We get some increased area radius and increased area damage in the Templar area with Aplify. Retribution in the Templar area gives us 14% spell damage and 5% increased cast speed. Harrier gives us some increased cast speed and a tad bit of movement speed 5%.

~ Point 7 ~ We take up to 8 jewel sockets, which is a lot and very good for this build. With the proper jewels we can get a extra 8% chance to block, 56% increased life, and big potential for massive damage increases from physical or area.

~ Point 8 ~ Blade Vortex does a crap ton of damage once you start getting 30+ stacks. We shoot for 50 (maximum) stacks with this build. Increases to duration and faster cast speed help us get there. Add in our spell power gained from our block chance through Cybil's Paw and our spell multiplier from Controlled Destruction we do a enormous amount of damage for a "Tank" build.

~ Point 9 ~ Last but definantly not least Life, we get +267.5 to maximum life. That is our base life which increased life % is calculated from. We get 147% increased maximum life, it may not sound like a lot but with all the other defenses we get from the tree it is a very good chunck. With proper min/maxed gear you can achieve 6k+ life.

Pros

-Tanky. We are goin Hardcore so we need massive survivablility.
-With 5.4% life regen, 203% life, and 34% block from the tree (considering 8 jewels with 7%life and 1%block).
-New skill Blade Vortex is freaking awesome. This build gets easy 50 stacks with it. HUGE DPS for a tank build.
-Mobility via Whirling Blades and use of a claw, Cybil's Paw.
-Use of Controlled Distruction a MORE multiplier for spell damage.

Cons

-Will have lower damage than a crit version of Blade Vortex as well as other bigger dps builds, but who cares right! We are goin TANK!
-Uses a few required uniques, some considered "expensive" to some.

My Stats

Defenses

Tool Tip Dps (no Frenzy Charges)

Tool Tip Dps (with Frenzy Charges)

Gearing

-Weapon Cybil's Paw This weapon with Blade Vortex will give us a ton of life gained on hit with spells. And since we are going Ghost Reaver to sustain our energy shield on our mana via Eldrich Battery we need a way to gain life. *Absolutely BiS*

-Shield Rathpith Globe We will be getting about 67% block and 75% spell block with this shield. The energy shield, spell damage, and 10% life make this a *Absolutely BiS* item. Can also use a EV/ES Hp res shield.

-Amulet Stone of Lazhwar More spell block to help us hit that 75% and some cast speed which we need since we dont get much in the tree. *Absolutely BiS*

-Boots Rainbowstride You guessed it more spell block, what block build goes with different boots? None come to my mind. We also get decent all resists, movement speed, and more energy shield for our "mana" (es is our mana with EB). *Absolutely BiS*

-Chest **Can use anything here really**. Rare with energy shiled, high life, resists.

Lightning Coil Huge physical damage reduction (converted to lighting) and a decent amount of life.

Carcass Jack Increased Area radius, making Blade Vortex fairly large. Some energy shield and resists with life.

-Helm Rare with energy shield, life, resists.

-Gloves Rare with energy shield, life, resists.

-Belt Rare Rustic Sash (12-24% increased physical damage) with life resists and can throw some armour on there too! Could also use a physical Doryani's Invitation

-Rings Rare with life and any lacking resistances. We can pick up some cast speed here too and energy shield. Possibly utilizing Elreons rings can be very handy here also.

Links

5/6 link our Main skill

For bosses swap with Inc AoE

Optional 6th link

3 link our extra life gained on hit

3 link Auras

Can sub in Grace for added survival

4 link High level cast when damage taken set up

4 link our fortify and movement

4 link our curse on hit and Bloodrage

Can sub in Warlords Mark for extra leach to es and endurance charges

My Gear

Current Talisman Gear

Standard Gear lvl 94

Current HC Talisman Gear/tree (RiP)

Current lvl 79 Gear/Tree

Running Hatred, Arctic Armour, Herald of Ashe for auras. Curse on hit Enfeeble, and finally got Mind over Matter!

Lvl 79 Tree

Bandits

Normal - Help Oak for 40 base life
Cruel - Kill all
Merciless - Kill all

Leveling

This is my experiences leveling this character and what I did. You may have different results/luck.

You will need to get some Dex on gear because Blade Vortex is a dex heavy spell.

At level 12 you can use Blade Vortex, and as Scion you get it after getting to the Caverns of Anger in Act1

20 point tree

40 point tree

60 point tree

80 point tree

100 point tree

Past this is our end Game grabbing more jewel slots and MOM EB GR. I have not done this yet because I dont have enough ES to support it.

115 Point Passive Tree lvl 93

Math of Exile

How to calculate your number of blade stacks with Blade Vortex;

Active Blades = Casts per second * Blade Duration
= 2 * 5
= 10

How to calculate your DPS with Blade Vortex;

Total DPS = Single Blade DPS * Active Blades

Example:
Shown DPS = 1321,9 / Shown Cast Time = 0,26s / Active Blades = 36

Single Blade DPS = 1321,9 * 0,26 = 343,694
Total BV DPS = 343,694 * 36
= 12372,984

*These calculations where pulled from the PoE wiki here.

To Do List

-Add pictures/flavor to thread
-Add Q/A Section
IGN @Dbum
Last edited by dbum on Dec 23, 2015, 5:30:12 PM
Last bumped on Aug 25, 2016, 6:39:07 AM
**Channel log**

Spoiler

- 12/10/2015 Build/Guide WIP Created.
- 12/12/2015 added current lvl 54 gear and passive tree.
- 12/13/2015 added current lvl 68 gear and passive tree.
- 12/13/2015 added Leveling passive trees.
- 12/13/2015 added current lvl 73 gear and passive tree.
- 12/14/2015 added current lvl 77 gear and passive tree.
- 12/15/2015 added current lvl 79 gear and passive tree.
- 12/15/2015 added Screen shots of Defenses, Dps with frenzy charges, and Dps without frenzy charges.
- 12/16/2015 added a "How this build works" section describing our ways of damage and why we use the things we use.
- 12/16/2015 added Math of Exile Section (everyone loves mathofexile!!).
- 12/18/2015 Rip HC Talisman character, started on SC Talisman.
- 12/20/2015 Finalized links for end game build.
- 12/20/2015 Added gear for my Standard and Standard Talisman characters.
- 12/20/2015 Updated Leveling passive trees. We get much more Dex to support Blade Vortex. Also Changed the 115 point passive tree to get more dex also.
- 12/23/2015 added YouTube Video!!
- 12/23/2015 added a better viewing of "links" section added actual gems there.

IGN @Dbum
Last edited by dbum on Dec 23, 2015, 5:13:54 PM
Reserved
IGN @Dbum
So basically 2.0 Incinerate with Blade Vortex.

Same thing is also being discussed in the Incinerate build thread. I'd check it out.
Last edited by 0Yemallis on Dec 10, 2015, 11:55:02 PM
You use EB/MOM without ZO - how are you going to sustain ES while casting and getting hit?

Also, the only added spell damage comes from Cybil's Paw and a single AOE wheel. If Vortex has the same ridiculous damage scaling that 2.0 Incinerate did, it might work, but otherwise you won't be killing much.
"
So basically 2.0 Incinerate with Blade Vortex.

Same thing is also being discussed in the Incinerate build thread. I'd check it out.

Well yes, I state that this build is inspired from that build. Now a Incinerate thread is good for discussion but I am posting this as a progression and build guide for Blade Vortex that I will be playing and will change/adapt to make it work. Even if the tree completely changes and doesnt look anything like that incinerate build.

"
You use EB/MOM without ZO - how are you going to sustain ES while casting and getting hit?

Also, the only added spell damage comes from Cybil's Paw and a single AOE wheel. If Vortex has the same ridiculous damage scaling that 2.0 Incinerate did, it might work, but otherwise you won't be killing much.

I will be sustaining ES with Ghost Reaver and leach.

We get 40% spell damage in the tree as well as using the new support Controlled Distruction which gives us a more spell damage multiplier. I know its not going to be the build that does the most damage and I say that in the cons, but I feel it will do enough to get to high tier maps.

Again this is a WIP so things may change.
IGN @Dbum
Ill try to make a character with this build, if you want i can post a review on how well its going or how bad it is, looks pretty damn good to me atm.
Really curious how this will turn out. Vortex seems super strong early on.
what skill should I use to level?
Men, you could post it there that you already made topic for that... I would not be posting mine version there.

Anyway, here is what I came up with (mine is a bit more dmg, oriented)

"
Alex_Lied wrote:

After coming from work, I did some tinkering with a fresh mind and come with this tree:
Spoiler

http://exiletools.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAt9bbWS2ovoCxkIMJRnG0DOq6DXxXySj6gscdvjOHA-6-vLM_T1Ye37iTHNyPGuvuhTKa4EWdU1LK076KoS-TJ3_GwcWIQoIe2wvsGI_68NVJUdDQX2pHBtvntMVirGyMnarC7Dqtb4T_HAW1jb9RRzfU7T8wfI19I_ajirGzG614rj3i7g7vevajFSAJM9E24iwtgxm0apNM_0Mx2sEuU9NvdO0FLXrvQKDAv6mVDPesr8GC74j5N9fPSbFcQFS9Fe2Wi9W5vqdlTb02R36E2S_MbAjxig==

So the tree gives us:
97% dmg increase (spell + physical)
76% increased Energy Shield
127% increased Life
29% additional block
6 jewel sockets

For around level 84-85 tree. Before that we should be able to skip some jewel sockets and dmg increases. After that level, get even more jewel sockets (1 with 2 passives, 3 with 3 of them each) and frenzy charges (2, each for 2 passives) to get something like that:

Since we are quite low on life here, I assume that all jewel should have 1% block and life - the third sufix might give you more dmg but so far let's assume more budget version. With cybil's paw and Rathpith Globe around level 84 we should get:

167-179% increased Life
~116% increased Energy Shield
63% block (no corrupted gear included)
~250% dmg increase

Now, the final dmg is a bit tricky here as we don't know how fast the blades are going around, what is the radius etc.

But let's assume some semi-decent situation:

- Single blade dmg is 150

- we use setup suggested in previous post (the one with controlled destruction suggested by Yotmato) with 5 links: BV - Echo - Increased duration - Controlled destruction - Life leech

- around 1/3 of ours blade hit each enemy per second

- We use herald of ash and hatred

With no charges included we get around 17k dmg for single mob in radius, which gives us around 100 life regen per enemy (14 hits). The more, the merrier - just like with incinerate xD

What do you people think ?

For around level 93, so 8 points left in the tree, It should have similar stats to your version:
Spoiler

http://exiletools.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAt9bbWS2ovoCxkIMJRnG0DCj6gscdvjOHA-6-vLM_T1Ye37iTHNyPGuvuhTKa4EWdU1LK076KoS-TJ3_GwcWIQoIe2wvsGI_68NVJUdDQX2pHBtvntMVirGyMnarC7Dqtb4T_HAW1jb9RRzfU7T8wfI19I_ajirGzG614rj3i7g7vevajFSAJM9E24iwtgxm0apNM_0Mx2sEuU9NvdO0FLXrvQKDAv6mVDPesr8GC74j5N9fPSbFcQFS9Fe2Wi9W5vqdlTb02R36E2S_MguSQEXvDLOmGs9hNlKDaYhhWaHT56GwI8Yr66w==

No area increase in my version and 6% less life, but one more jewel for same level, 97% dmg increase and easy access to 3 more frienzies for increasing dmg even more. Initially I was thinknig about going for blood dance for generating them but since we got this nerf maybe just using "frenzy" skill will be sufficient. Blades from blade vortex are smimming around us anyway, no matter what we do so we might do some other stuff in the meantime (just 2-4 blade less in the air when you attack with frenzy)

Also, mine calculations about dmg looks to be wrong. After checking how this skill work, I think we can assume that most of the blades hit target in the span of one sec. That's also mean that we get 50 hits (not 14 like I was assuming previously) for cybil's special effect. On the wiki we already see that level 20 will do 54–81 so 67 is our avarage single blade dmg.

So with that included, one, two thousands more than 17k should be true. If we go for 6 link as added fire and these 3 frenzies (to have six in total) we should get to around 33-34k per target.

I still think it need more improvements but the patch just came out so it quite fresh creation.

Last edited by Alex_Lied on Dec 11, 2015, 7:55:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info