Map Tier concept

"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Map "Tiers" not getting a mention in the pending patch notes?
:(

Why would they. GGG explained why they switched to a tier system and they clearly wanted to do it at 2.0, but either lacked the time to do it or for some reason just didn't get to it in time.

They won't revert this change, cry all you want its actually has 0 effect on gameplay and it ultimately achieves what they wanted.

To me this is one of the dumbest things to complain about because it has 0 effect on gameplay, why not complain about something that actually matters?

Does it really?
Not many people played since the change due to the lack of "signature" leagues.
Darkshrine didn't have any achievements and i couldn't push myself to go higher than tier 8 (barely reached lvl 87). i think i'm not the only one here.

We will see how it will be when talisman is a few days/weeks in.

On your other statement:
One could also argue it was dumb by GGG to even implement it. It has no benefit (for the player)! On the contrary, it requires the player to put even more thought in the game.
Further it is no "fix" for the initial problem it just covers it.

Why would you even spend a thought on something that makes the playability of your game worse and then even implement it? That's a waste of ressources that could have been spent better somewhere else.

Some of us want this change reverted because it made their game experience worse. It definitely felt better the way it was before. (just the tier system, not the map drops).
Last edited by Ruefl2x on Dec 10, 2015, 12:06:57 PM
The reason why 'tiers' failed is because it didn't address the real issue, it just tried to cover it up.

The real problem is people don't want to be stuck in mid lvl or 'tier' maps for the vast majority of their endgame.

loltiers, levels, squiggle bottoms call them what you want we still going to have a lot of people complaining they aren't playing higher level maps more consistently.

People are always going to feel the more effort they put into their endgame they should be rewarded with consistent higher level content.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
The reason why 'tiers' failed is because it didn't address the real issue, it just tried to cover it up.

The real problem is people don't want to be stuck in mid lvl or 'tier' maps for the vast majority of their endgame.

loltiers, levels, squiggle bottoms call them what you want we still going to have a lot of people complaining they aren't playing higher level maps more consistently.

People are always going to feel the more effort they put into their endgame they should be rewarded with consistent higher level content.

You put your finger on the sorepoint. It is an individual problem, not a game issue. The rules were laid out long before you started. The highest tier maps are not meant to be sustainable. No point in complaining about it. Just as there is no point in complaining about soccer rules as well.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
Reinhart wrote:
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:

You put your finger on the sorepoint. It is an individual problem, not a game issue. The rules were laid out long before you started. The highest tier maps are not meant to be sustainable. No point in complaining about it. Just as there is no point in complaining about soccer rules as well.

Yeah I agree 100%. GGG is well within their right to make the endgame like this whether the majority like it or not but GGG has to know they are going against human nature with this one and people will always complain about it.

C'est la vie!
"
goetzjam wrote:

They won't revert this change, cry all you want its actually has 0 effect on gameplay and it ultimately achieves what they wanted.

It ultimately achieves what they wanted? Only if they wanted to create some completely useless bullshit that confuses new players!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Useless bullshit about sums it up for me. Having to add 68 or is it 67? To think of what level map it's going to be is just annoying with no upside.
"

Maybe, but its a change they wanted to make for a while, regardless.

"

With the increased levels of maps, what exactly are you considering mid tier, I think up to tier 11's should be sustainable relatively easy.

"

To a point, its been pretty clear that if you do invest as "much" as possible into maps and run them full clear or do the bosses you can. For example a tier 11 map might not require you to roll it high quant, use atziri pieces on it, use a zana mod on it and perhaps even vaal it, but higher tier maps do and should. People before 1.0 had to exalt maps and divine them, thats the level of investment GGG wants from the very high end of maps, but is the level no one is willing to spend. GGG has only made it easier to get the level of quant of maps needed to sustain from so many things like zana and the vaal expansion (corruption and pieces)

"

Which is why I think its funny this thread had a bump, despite the fact that this thread literally doesn't have a single gameplay effect.

"
Yeah I agree 100%. GGG is well within their right to make the endgame like this whether the majority like it or not but GGG has to know they are going against human nature with this one and people will always complain about it.

Which is why they made the maps tier in the first place so people cant say I'm doing map level XX at level 95, instead its tier content and they can say that is within your level of acceptable content. Yes its odd compared to most games to do content that has a "lower" level, but its the map mods that enable the content to still be challenging, up to a certain point.

"
It ultimately achieves what they wanted? Only if they wanted to create some completely useless bullshit that confuses new players!

Yeah because the change can be summarized into your statement, despite this post having multiple pages of discussion. First of all to new players this change makes no difference, they don't know that map level 78 is not tier 11, they just know tier 11 is > tier 1. Players can stop using the dumbass excuse that they are level 90 why are they doing content 12 levels below them, well that is essentially removed by having the tier system. Even a tier 11 map, with any number of mods can kill a level 90 character, so the challenge is still there and despite all this, if you invest currency, no matter what league you are in you can do higher level maps if you wish, people don't want to invest currency so they are stuck doing lower level content. Its really as simple as that.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:

Which is why they made the maps tier in the first place so people cant say I'm doing map level XX at level 95, instead its tier content and they can say that is within your level of acceptable content.

Say what?? Seems like whenever I run a tier whatever map, and actually in the map with the overlay turned on it tells me the actual level of the map. So the level is still there but there is just the added annoyance of having to convert tiers to know what you actually have. It's nothing more than obfuscation and that's not nice in my book...
"
"
goetzjam wrote:

Which is why they made the maps tier in the first place so people cant say I'm doing map level XX at level 95, instead its tier content and they can say that is within your level of acceptable content.

Say what?? Seems like whenever I run a tier whatever map, and actually in the map with the overlay turned on it tells me the actual level of the map. So the level is still there but there is just the added annoyance of having to convert tiers to know what you actually have. It's nothing more than obfuscation and that's not nice in my book...

I know it still shows the monster level on the map if you show the map, idk if that was an oversight or if that was intended, but from a standpoint of looking at the stuff in your stash, up until your in the map the tier does relate to the difficulty of the map, with no indication of what level the monsters are.

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
I know it still shows the monster level on the map if you show the map, idk if that was an oversight or if that was intended, but from a standpoint of looking at the stuff in your stash, up until your in the map the tier does relate to the difficulty of the map, with no indication of what level the monsters are.

You know...

If leaving the level on the overlay really was an oversight they could fix that and then you would have to look at a white item drop from the map to see the item level and we've be at the same place but with one more thin layer of frustration thrown on top.

But you know what GGG could do if this is really a concern for them? Put the tier instead of the map level in the overlay and either have items levels to match the map tier (ie, item level t8 instead of item level 75) or have map drops for instance be item level 65 up to T7, then 75 up to T12 and ilevel 80 for 13 and above... Then have monster levels range from say, I don't know 65-69 in T1 maps and count up from there?

With all of that, there would truly be no particular level for any given map but is it worth it? Wouldn't it be easier and better to just leave the system alone and put the actual level on the map instead?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info