Sustaining 75/76/77 Maps /w Blue Rolls

"
RogueMage wrote:
"
kamil1210 wrote:
"
Learned to not bother playing hard content and just buy his xp from the xyz unofficial auction house wile facerolling easy mod maps, basically.

...you act like buying maps is bad thing, If he can't get to higher maps and he buy them HE and run hard high quantity/rarity instead of blue to get enough currency to get bigger maps and have bigger chance for maps.

Yes, having no choice but to buy high-level maps is a BAD THING. We call that "gating endgame content behind a virtual paywall". It makes no difference whether you turn over the funds to GGG or a private vendor, as far as I'm concerned it's still pay2play.

You may feel like this all day, but actually...
It makes all the difference.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Sep 5, 2015, 11:34:12 PM
"
Yes, having no choice but to buy high-level maps is a BAD THING. We call that "gating endgame content behind a virtual paywall". It makes no difference whether you turn over the funds to GGG or a private vendor, as far as I'm concerned it's still pay2play.

1. He have choice and it is waht im talking about. Learn how to get high maps or buy high maps.

2. There is no gate, there is small difference if you find map item or 5 chaos orbs (1 step difference). People who think trading is hard or long don't learned game enough, offer 10% more for item than boy out price and person who sell item will be faster in you Ho than you can say "trading is bad".

Why people think buying gear is something normal but buing maps is worst thing in earth. Without good gear you can't do maps like you can't do maps without maps.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Sep 6, 2015, 12:58:54 AM
you keep on saying learn how to get higher maps, what is there to learn?
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
kamil1210 wrote:

Or he could learn game and be person who sell maps.

learn what exactly? What do you need to learn to be a person who sells maps? Explain to me the skill set one needs to learn in order to be in that position.

Effectively use the Futura EPOS/stock management system to manage both margin and stock levels in order to minimise markdowns.

Develop and control the critical path for each season’s buying activity ensuring all deadlines are met.

Manage the compilation and update of in-house order database and visual catalogues.

Understand current business performance in parties and make recommendations for action to recover any short fall, maximize opportunities and limit risk.

That does.... not sound like a computer game, to be honest.

"
kamil1210 wrote:
1. He have choice and it is waht im talking about. Learn how to get high maps or buy high maps.

So if I had chosen to "learn how to get high maps", how would I do it?

I ran a lot of 75/76 maps. What do I do?

Chisel them? Done that.
Alch them? Done that.
Chaos them for higher IIQ / pack size? Done that, can run practically any mod.
Vaal them for unID / 8mod / +1 level? Done that for half of them.
Add fragments? Done that for some, but not all.
Zana mod? Unaffordable as a solo player and also, as pointed out earlier in this thread, heavily uneconomical at map levels below 78 or so.

However, judging by the map drops I actually got from the maybe 40 75+ maps I had run prior to the experiment I am running at the moment, even 120% IIQ / 30% packsize on every map + 3 fragments would not have made me sustain. Are your map drops equally bad? No? So, I guess you learnt how to play the game then.

So please, teach me. Enlighten me. Tell me, what have I done wrong?
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
OK, so let's try the ~0 investment approach.

I had a bit of a lucky streak and ended up chaining 78-82s for lvl 96 to 97. I had alchs and chisels but couldn't chaos much or vaal much or zana at all.

I pulled out to grind up more currency, got bored and returned to the maps with what currency I had, only to blank my top map (80) and loose 2 79s to portal crashes before clearing even 1/5th of the maps after rolling them insane.

I should (other than go shopping) be building currency in lower maps before touching the high ones. I'm never going to be able to zana them (the most important investment) and I know I'll lose them with or without the currency amount I actually can ever invest. So I'll stay in currency hoard mode and run maps from the top down.

At the end of the day, it's a lucky streak that will keep me up or re-climb me after it falls, zana mods not being a factor I can ever entertain. There is the added bonus that a map with little currency investment is least likely to portal crash. That, right now, means a fucking lot.

Streaming.

Casually casual.

"
Char1983 wrote:
"
kamil1210 wrote:

So if I had chosen to "learn how to get high maps", how would I do it?

Skill is when luck becomes habit. He is on the good side of RNG, that's what he is constantly saying. There is nothing to "learn", you just play the game... if you are lucky, you will defend the game by any means and say "you have learnd how RNG works"... if not, well...

I feel like talking to a parrat who rinse and repeat that he has no clue of what he is doing, but apparently it works for him. xD
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.
The biggest issue I see with maps is that every map seems to roll its own seed for drops, which results in maps in general dropping good or bad instead of individual mobs dropping good or bad.

In theory a single map would yield enough enemies that you can use it as a fair sample size or at least 10 maps should do so. But the only way you could explain incredible good map-drops in simple white maps and no drops at all in 100+ quantity maps is that there is another random number put on top of them. So it is rather likely that maps just generate a seed that is used for generating random numbers for this instance and since a machine can't generate truely random numbers this seed might favor higher or lower rolls resulting in more or less maps dropped. This would simply mean that more important than the roll of a map is the seed you get with it. This is the only possible explanation why top rolled maps constantly fail to drop any high level maps and white or blue maps often yield incredible rewards.

So a big change that would improve mapping is making map-drops more reliable. If you have a bad map you can't expect to drop a lot of maps, while a good map should provide maps more consistently.
"
Emphasy wrote:
The biggest issue I see with maps is that every map seems to roll its own seed for drops, which results in maps in general dropping good or bad instead of individual mobs dropping good or bad.

In theory a single map would yield enough enemies that you can use it as a fair sample size or at least 10 maps should do so. But the only way you could explain incredible good map-drops in simple white maps and no drops at all in 100+ quantity maps is that there is another random number put on top of them. So it is rather likely that maps just generate a seed that is used for generating random numbers for this instance and since a machine can't generate truely random numbers this seed might favor higher or lower rolls resulting in more or less maps dropped. This would simply mean that more important than the roll of a map is the seed you get with it. This is the only possible explanation why top rolled maps constantly fail to drop any high level maps and white or blue maps often yield incredible rewards.

So a big change that would improve mapping is making map-drops more reliable. If you have a bad map you can't expect to drop a lot of maps, while a good map should provide maps more consistently.

Absolutely, without a doubt.

I've been saying this for forever, it's so obvious.
Casually casual.

"
Emphasy wrote:

i very much expect the same.

but i think (or believe) there is a seed generated along with the creation of your character (or it somehow depends on it). this would also explain why there are characters where you find a lot rare currency whereas there are others where you might find more other specific drops.

with every char there are specific legendaries i find a lot and others that just wouldnt drop and i'm not talking about T1s.

i would really love to see a manifesto post about this topic how ggg handles the whole rng in this game. not because i'm mad or such, but because i'm interessted how this is done in such a large scale.
Last edited by Ruefl2x on Sep 6, 2015, 10:36:34 AM
"
Emphasy wrote:

No. There are three things involved here:

a)
The Poisson distribution has an intrinsic high variance, and we are dealing with Poisson distributions here

b)
On top of the Poisson distribution having a high variance, there are some things that I think actually increase the variance, like different map layouts yielding different amounts of monsters, Strongboxes and other stuff. I would have to do some calculations to confirm this, but I am pretty sure that is what is going on.

c)
Selective perception (you remember the weird white maps dropping five maps or the hard ones that blank more, which is why I started to write everything down).

I have, as I said, done some simulations on this and what they show is that the lucky and unlucky streaks you can get are horrendous. One reason for this is that you are not just rolling a dice for your next map, but that you actually have a better chance of rolling a favourable result if your last roll was good (if you already have a lvl 78 map, your chances are higher to get another 78 map than if you only have a 76 map or a 75 map, in which case the chances for a 78 are zero).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info