Master Crafting Metamods

I think if weve learned anything from all this, is that even when the truth comes out players will still believe whatever they want to believe regardless, even if what they want to believe is the opposite of the truth and what, in a crazy way, they wish wasnt the case.

I wanna say ud have to see it to believe it, but even that old saying is somewhat called into question by what were seeing here.

lol tbh.
"
Cipp wrote:

GGG knew people were using the metamods. They knew why the exalt price was high. They knew that some players were using these metamods to craft high-end gear and making a killing. They knew that at least some of these players were keeping this a secret through spreading false info. And they propably understood that this meant that other players got less out of their drops and had to work harder to upgrade their gear due to inflated exalt prices.

They knew and did nothing.
why should they do something ? is it their fault people believe others without checking facts ? no, it is not. they know some people out there are using recipes not discovered yet by 'the community'. and ? why should they intervene ?

literally the only thing that is even questionable here is Qarl deleting his post after some people (obviously) have seen it.
"
Cipp wrote:
I have to say that I'm really disappointed with GGG now.

The expansion was great. The new content is good and the new build options were refreshing. I even think that the new meta-crafting options are great.

But the attitude of this reply by Chris makes me want to quit this game.

Quarls attempt to counter missinformation was commendable. It was a stand against scamming players with false info. A fair thing to do. But removing the post was disastrous. Not only did it leave the false info in place, it also gave a potentially huge advantage to a random sect of players that happened to see the comment. It gave a massive benefit based purely on luck. It is not really all that different from an advantage gained though the use of RMT.

That was bad, but we all make mistakes. The really disapointing thing happened after that initial mistakes.

GGG knew people were using the metamods. They knew why the exalt price was high. They knew that some players were using these metamods to craft high-end gear and making a killing. They knew that at least some of these players were keeping this a secret through spreading false info. And they propably understood that this meant that other players got less out of their drops and had to work harder to upgrade their gear due to inflated exalt prices.

They knew and did nothing. And now they say there is no problem and everything worked as intended. That there is an incentive to scam other players so you should expect to get scammed. Everything was working as intended.

The market was not broken because the market is about change anyways. The market works if there are people on the market and that is all.

But what is the point with such a market? A simulation? Something to study? Wasn't the point of having a market that it did something for the game, not the other way around? Wasn't the point that the market would enable players to make mutually beneficial deals to enhance their gameplay? To get more out of their gametime?

Now the market was used to scam people and the view is that it worked as intended. Promoting scamming is an intended feature.

That these people participating in these scams are "clever" and should be rewarded. I find this unbeliveable.

Then there is fuzzy part about the semantics of "change" and "remove". GGG must know that people interpret these words differently and you can't really expect people to know how you use them if you have not specified their use. You can't just downplay the relevance of Quarls leak. Also, due to the extreme cost of metamods, people were in a highly uneven position to test them out to begin with.

As developers you define the parameters of the market. It is not a easy thing to predict what comes out of those parameters, but you can't act as if you could not affect it. This time you chose to sanction behaviour that was bad for a big chunk of the playerbase. You should own up to this.

Clever scams based on privilidged info working as intended. Please reconsider your attitude.

I would very much like GGG to comment on this post.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Something I wonder: how are we supposed to know whether something is just an undocumented mechanic, or an exploit? It forces the burden of proof that something is a legimate action onto the players, but without giving them any way to know.

I do the unid chaos recipe with specific base types, but I get 2 mirrors instead of 2 chaos. Exploit or hidden mechanic?

I use some orbs in a specific sequence on an item (e.g. for a weapon, transmute → whetstone → alt → whetstone → aug → whetstone → regal → whetstone → chaos), and after the chaos all rolls on the item are maximized. Exploit or hidden mechanic?

I buy a specific item from a master (e.g. ring/amulet from Elreon, bow from Tora, etc), and the second and fourth crafts with that item on the master's workbench don't cost any currency. Exploit or hidden mechanic?

This "discovery of hidden mechanics" line is bullshit, pure and simple. You know it, I know it, and Chris knows it as well. Also, if this "discovery of hidden mechanics" stuff was actually a thing, why are there huge-ass-long-winded posts about item affixes and leech mechanics? Why didn't GGG let the community "discover" those mechanics as well?
Last edited by Baelturath on Aug 21, 2015, 4:36:18 PM
The option that you can just make ton of currency and then buy EVERYTHING in this game is just fail. There needs to be some sort of bound on pickup system, because things like this will allways happen and then the guy that make tons of currency this way, just buy bis gear and rolls white 80 maps to lvl. 100.

I must admit that I feel stupid actualy playing this game, when the reward for doing so, instead of just playing the economy game, is so underwhelming.
This thread shows why sandbox games are very, very niche. Makes me sad.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Kaysee wrote:
"
Orb of Scouring says "Removes all properties from an item"! Why doesn't it remove mods that are locked?

The purpose of Mods is to override the regular game rules. If you have an item that says "You Can't Be Frozen", then that overrules the game rules that freeze you. In this case, the "Prefixes Cannot Be Changed" mod that you can explicitly add to an item overrules the static behaviour of the Orb of Scouring. Removal counts as a change.

TBH this is poor Chris.

You have 2 different "mod" statements on 2 different items: one is a currency item stating "Removes all properties from an item" and the other is an item with a mod stating "Prefixes Cannot Be Changed".

How is the community supposed to know which overrides another?

Scouring states it removes "ALL properties" not "changes prefixes"... one would expect the former to be he overriding "game rule" without clarification, which you've just now outlined.

reminds me of the argument about "what happens if an unstoppable force hits an immovable object."

The description of the meta crafting mods seem intentionally misleading in regards to their interaction with currency.
My Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1338089
Last edited by conall88 on Aug 21, 2015, 4:47:38 PM
"
Cipp wrote:
I have to say that I'm really disappointed with GGG now.

The expansion was great. The new content is good and the new build options were refreshing. I even think that the new meta-crafting options are great.

But the attitude of this reply by Chris makes me want to quit this game.

Quarls attempt to counter missinformation was commendable. It was a stand against scamming players with false info. A fair thing to do. But removing the post was disastrous. Not only did it leave the false info in place, it also gave a potentially huge advantage to a random sect of players that happened to see the comment. It gave a massive benefit based purely on luck. It is not really all that different from an advantage gained though the use of RMT.

That was bad, but we all make mistakes. The really disapointing thing happened after that initial mistakes.

They knew and did nothing. And now they say there is no problem and everything worked as intended. That there is an incentive to scam other players so you should expect to get scammed. Everything was working as intended.

The market was not broken because the market is about change anyways. The market works if there are people on the market and that is all.

But what is the point with such a market? A simulation? Something to study? Wasn't the point of having a market that it did something for the game, not the other way around? Wasn't the point that the market would enable players to make mutually beneficial deals to enhance their gameplay? To get more out of their gametime?

Now the market was used to scam people and the view is that it worked as intended. Promoting scamming is an intended feature.

That these people participating in these scams are "clever" and should be rewarded. I find this unbeliveable.

Then there is fuzzy part about the semantics of "change" and "remove". GGG must know that people interpret these words differently and you can't really expect people to know how you use them if you have not specified their use. You can't just downplay the relevance of Quarls leak. Also, due to the extreme cost of metamods, people were in a highly uneven position to test them out to begin with.

As developers you define the parameters of the market. It is not a easy thing to predict what comes out of those parameters, but you can't act as if you could not affect it. This time you chose to sanction behaviour that was bad for a big chunk of the playerbase. You should own up to this.

Clever scams based on privilidged info working as intended. Please reconsider your attitude.

I like your post, but you seem to miss a vital point in GGG's stance on why they removed Qarl's comment.

They removed it because it was against GGG's vision of how information about the game should be revealed.. it should be uncovered by the players themselves.

Carl felt it was wrong that players were misleading other players and he was right, but realized he made a mistake by breaking that vision ( or should I say policy ) mentioned above.

We all make mistakes, and they handled this one in the best way they could, trying to keep their policy intact.

Standard: Shiverlyss, Lythyssa, Solaris, Goldorak, Clash, Cleavage, Sunflow.
"
Baelturath wrote:
Something I wonder: how are we supposed to know whether something is just an undocumented mechanic, or an exploit? It forces the burden of proof that something is a legimate action onto the players, but without giving them any way to know.

I do the unid chaos recipe with specific base types, but I get 2 mirrors instead of 2 chaos. Exploit or hidden mechanic?

GGG has answered this before- if it's in the game, its fair game. if you get 2 mirrors for the unid recipe, you are free to make more of mirrors.

"

This "discovery of hidden mechanics" line is bullshit, pure and simple.

no its not. it's refreshing because you cannot simply go to wiki and get full information on EVERYTHING, a click away. they want players to discover some things in-game.

"

You know it, I know it, and Chris knows it as well.

I dont know it- please dont speak for me bruh. I would advise not to speak for chris as well. theres one person you should speak for and it is yourself

"

Also, if this "discovery of hidden mechanics" stuff was actually a thing, why are there huge-ass-long-winded posts about item affixes and leech mechanics? Why didn't GGG let the community "discover" those mechanics as well?
what does leech mechanics in combat have to do with crafting and recipes ?

and even if it had something to do, whats wrong with having selective recipes that are hidden ? is it a crime against humanity ? they tell us of some recipes right away when they want us to actively use them. and some they want players to discover

whats funny is that mod wasnt even hidden. it was there in plain sight with a hefty cost attached to it.
"
Jergal2 wrote:
The option that you can just make ton of currency and then buy EVERYTHING in this game is just fail.
it is one of the main pillars poe stands on. anything can be traded. your demigods as race rewards can be traded

as one of the main pillars its an axiom that one has to consider in their evaluation. generating currency and buying gear via trading will always be faster and more efficient than simply farming and waiting for gear to drop. flipping items will always be faster and more efficient. its one of those things you accept as you start playing the game, otherwise I dont see the point of playing it. you dont engage in games with their own rules trying to play by your rules if you arent ready to accept the consequences

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info