[2.2] Poor Mans Guide to Bows - 114K DPS and Atziri on a 5L

"
AngryCustard wrote:
"
skuadak wrote:
I can't convince you to like it, but trust me its AoE is just fine and you don't need chain to use it. My profile is open if you wanna look SA setup without chain. (Basically like with chain, but there's no chain)

I have taken a look at your setup. First off... That bow is incredible. Secondly you're running your split arrow on a 6L... Thirdly it only has direct damage, and you have no pierce. Meaning that you only hit whatever is standing in the way of your arrows and nothing more. You'll probably hit them for a metric shit down of damage. But there is no secondary hit other than herald of ash. I whole heartedly believe your clear speed would be significantly improved by adding either pierce or chain to your current setup, and then further improved by changing to either ice shot GMP/LMP or Lightning Arrow. Your Tooltip DPS will drop but your actual DPS and clear speed will go up... a lot.

Currently in order for you to clear a pack you have to keep shooting till every monster has been hit by your initial hits as you don't have any secondary. If you add chain/pierce you get secondary hits, changing to lightning arrow you then get secondary hits on each of your other hits, and with Ice shot you get AOE explosions per hit. ~shrugs~ I'd rather fire one shot into a pack and watch as the arrows bounce around and cause multiple hits, while I'm moving onto the next pack, than stand there mindlessly spamming split arrows to finally get that last straggler.

Because LA and IS have an incredible mana cost, that's why I don't use them. :(

Believe me, the moment I get Acuities >>>>> LA/IS inc. :D
"
returnofsnow wrote:
Spoiler
"
AngryCustard wrote:
"
skuadak wrote:
I can't convince you to like it, but trust me its AoE is just fine and you don't need chain to use it. My profile is open if you wanna look SA setup without chain. (Basically like with chain, but there's no chain)

I have taken a look at your setup. First off... That bow is incredible. Secondly you're running your split arrow on a 6L... Thirdly it only has direct damage, and you have no pierce. Meaning that you only hit whatever is standing in the way of your arrows and nothing more. You'll probably hit them for a metric shit down of damage. But there is no secondary hit other than herald of ash. I whole heartedly believe your clear speed would be significantly improved by adding either pierce or chain to your current setup, and then further improved by changing to either ice shot GMP/LMP or Lightning Arrow. Your Tooltip DPS will drop but your actual DPS and clear speed will go up... a lot.

Currently in order for you to clear a pack you have to keep shooting till every monster has been hit by your initial hits as you don't have any secondary. If you add chain/pierce you get secondary hits, changing to lightning arrow you then get secondary hits on each of your other hits, and with Ice shot you get AOE explosions per hit. ~shrugs~ I'd rather fire one shot into a pack and watch as the arrows bounce around and cause multiple hits, while I'm moving onto the next pack, than stand there mindlessly spamming split arrows to finally get that last straggler.

Because LA and IS have an incredible mana cost, that's why I don't use them. :(

Believe me, the moment I get Acuities >>>>> LA/IS inc. :D

All you need is Primal Spirit + Spirit Void and your set, I literally have Zero mana issues. With Lightning Arrow that +2 mana per enemy hit basically keeps your mana nailed to the reserve limit.
"
AngryCustard wrote:

All you need is Primal Spirit + Spirit Void and your set, I literally have Zero mana issues. With Lightning Arrow that +2 mana per enemy hit basically keeps your mana nailed to the reserve limit.

Might respec some nodes for the Primal Spirit and try it out since I just got to 93 and kinda tired of leveling, just wanna have fun doing 74-76 maps to hoard up them 77-78s.
Last edited by returnofsnow on Sep 10, 2015, 11:19:46 AM
Hey Angry,

whats your advice for the order of quality on gems in the LA set-up?
I can gemcutter only 1-2 gems to 20 right now and want to get the most out of it.

Also, next to quality on gems, what would be the next optimal step in gear optimisation for me?
With what I have right now, I'm res capped (lightning 72, but meh) and lacking a bit of life i feel (3.4 k), although I have life on almost all slots available...

Spoiler

Thanks for taking the time!
Last edited by ben_hure on Sep 11, 2015, 5:45:52 AM
"
ben_hure wrote:
Hey Angry,

I can gemcutter only 1-2 gems to 20 right now and want to get the most out of it.

Also, next to quality on gems, what would be the next optimal step in gear optimisation for me?
With what I have right now, I'm res capped (lightning 72, but meh) and lacking a bit of life i feel (3.4 k), although I have life on almost all slots available...

Spoiler

WED and GMP I guess?
"
AngryCustard wrote:
"
skuadak wrote:

I just never liked chain, not like I didn't try it ofc. Pierce is definitely worth considering, it's just that I do short "pewpew" and all is dead anyway, so I didn't bother yet :S
Burn all the orbs!
"
ben_hure wrote:
Hey Angry,

Spoiler

Hey mate apologies for the late response busy weekend. Personally I wouldn't bother spending the GCP orbs to quality gems the way you're talking. It is just better to level them to 20 and roll them over that way. That said if you were going to GCP some gems. GMP is the first one you want, as it gives 10% attack speed. Then consider Frenzy as that is extra attack speed.

As far as your gear goes it all looks pretty good. But your life rolls a generally pretty low across the board, instead of being in the 40-60 range you want to be in the 70+ range. That extra 20 life on each piece of gear may be as much as 500 extra life after increases on the tree.

"
skuadak wrote:
Spoiler
"
AngryCustard wrote:
"
skuadak wrote:

I just never liked chain, not like I didn't try it ofc. Pierce is definitely worth considering, it's just that I do short "pewpew" and all is dead anyway, so I didn't bother yet :S

Obviously it is completely up to you and what you enjoy. But with your bow, if you use chain/pierce and lightning arrow you're only going to need to fire one shot to clear an entire pack/area of the map. I am sure that with split arrow without chain or pierce it is 2/3 shots. That's the only difference.
Last edited by AngryCustard on Sep 13, 2015, 7:54:15 PM
How strong of a crit bow is needed for it to actually be an upgrade from Lioneye's?

Is a 250pdps/8crit bow better than a 300dps/5crit Lioneye's? Debating between picking up a 4/5 Link crit bow, or a 6L Lioneye's.

Have no damage issues as of yet with Lioneye's, but the attack speed sometimes makes sustaining mana hard. Although, it seems to be getting easier as I increase my damage, which increases my leech.
Last edited by crux47 on Sep 14, 2015, 7:57:46 AM
Thanks for the great build. Enjoying it tremendously through Cruel.

I've been using puncture for my one shot skill. I had a chrome shortage, so I ended up with a blue slot instead of a red. I tried increased critical chance, but found that added chaos damage gave me better results.

Again thanks for the build.
"
crux47 wrote:
How strong of a crit bow is needed for it to actually be an upgrade from Lioneye's?

Is a 250pdps/8crit bow better than a 300dps/5crit Lioneye's? Debating between picking up a 4/5 Link crit bow, or a 6L Lioneye's.

Have no damage issues as of yet with Lioneye's, but the attack speed sometimes makes sustaining mana hard. Although, it seems to be getting easier as I increase my damage, which increases my leech.

If you're in doubt, get 6-link Daresso instead (or whatever chest you're using). 250/8 bow might be better than 300/5 Lioneye, but i wouldnt bother that upgrade, the real upgrade will be 300/8.5 bow.

If you have problems with mana, try "+2 mana per hit" jewels, you may also get Spirit Void or Primal Spirit nodes.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info