[2.2] Poor Mans Guide to Bows - 114K DPS and Atziri on a 5L

Apologies for the long absense of updates. I have been playing less PoE of late. But here is my latest update for all interested.

***Updated with 2.2 Skill Tree and progression tree's***

My name is AngryCustard and I like bows.

Why do I like bows? Because I like crushing all of the things. I like to destroy all content. I like to be the guy in the party that everyone is asking 'wtf is your build' how do you kill all the things so fast. When solo I like to smash entire packs into tiny little icy pieces with a single shot. I like to do all the damage without taking any of it. I like to make Atziri my bitch and do all of this without having to spend a lot of orbs. This guide is a generic cheapskates guide to bows.

So with that out the way How to bow?

Frenzy Charges
Spoiler
This is how you win at bows. More frenzy charges = more winning! They increase your DPS two ways, more hits per second with 4% increased attack speed per change and more damage with a 4% multiplier per charge. When I hit my full 7 charges it literally doubles my standing DPS. I have all frenzy charges off the tree plus the one from the Merciless Bandit quest. If I wanted to spend the orbs a +1 Frenzy set of boots or Amulet would be winning for sure.

Crit
Spoiler
This is how you really scale your DPS, crit multiplier takes average DPS, straps an atom bomb to it and sends it to the moon. Forget one hitting white packs, when you crit you can one hit Rares. Bosses disappear in 4-5 hits, at 5 attacks per second you do the math. Even a little bit of crit 25-30% chance to crit will mean that you're critting regularly enough to rapidly melt bosses, when you crit on your first hit nothing other than a boss survives which ramps your clear speed.

The Bows
Spoiler
Cost Effective:
Spoiler

You do not have to go full bowtard to in order to win the DPS war. Get yourself a Lioneyes Glare (boo hiss goes the crowd). Yes ok, previously Lioneyes were BAD, like aids with cancer sprinkled on top bad. But as of 2.0 Lioneyes are AWESOME, chuck norris wearing teenage mutant ninja turtles pajama's AWESOME. The main reason Lioneyes were bad before was reflect, you'd 1 shot kill yourself to reflect every time due to the 100% chance to hit. But as of 2.0 There are no such thing as reflect 'packs' you only have single reflect monsters that you can pick off without killing yourself. I picked up this bow for 10C and I get 80K DPS self buffed off my single target attack. Honestly do you need more than 80K DPS? "But AngryCustard sir Lioneyes has 5% crit it is shithouse." Listen here young padawan, with Lioneyes 5% chance to crit it is still possible to reach 30% chance to crit easily. You'll be attacking at a rate of 4-5 attacks per second depending on skill. You're averaging 1.5 crits per second. That's more than enough, plus you NEVER miss... so your DPS is 100% consistent.

Full Bowtard: If you want to completely max your build committing 100% to it are going to want a high crit chance Harbinger, over 9% crit chance with 1.35 attack speed, 300+ raw phys dps on the bow. With a bow like this the sky is the limit, 100K DPS is easily achievable on a single target attack. However a bow like this will cost you many exalt and is not at all necessary IMO. But if you want to min max your build, this sort of bow will max the DPS for sure. Your attack speed is also going to be slower, bigger hits less often. This may cause a problem with reflect mobs, as your 100K DPS comes in 3 x 30K single Hits. Be careful with reflect Rares and large crits you'll go splat.

Full Metatard - Voltaxic: I actually don't mind the whole meta build thing. Voltaxic as of 2.1 is incredibly good, it was good before but with the 6% base crit chance it is even better. Combine that with the extra crit we can get from Deadeye and you have a combo that is incredibly hard to beat + yanno never dying to reflect doesn't suck.

Ascendency Classes
Spoiler
You actually do have a bunch of pretty damn solid options here that won't make you hate yourself after choosing them. Scion Ascendent, Assassin - Deadeye Combo, Assassin - Beserker Combo, Beserker - Deadeye Comb, Ranger Deadeye, Shadow Assassin, Duelist Champion. Rated from best to worst:

Ranger Deadeye - This is clearly the best Ascendency class for a pierce based bow user. I strongly suggest that you take the pierce + crit chance increased by pierce option, along with the increased projectile. This is going to make your DPS insane.

Glass Cannon Option, Shadow Assassin - Due to being able to gain base crit chance through power charges you can gain insane crit levels through this, and thus insane ammounts of damage. You will suffer a couple of survivability issues from selecting this class but you will make the things go boom.

Best Defensive Option, Duelest Champion - You have fortify...

Scion - Assassin Deadeye: This is a pretty self explanatory combo, you get extra crit, extra pierce but your pathing is a little harder. This is a fully offensive combo.

Scion - Assassin Beserker: More crit, more damage from beserker, but you get 1.5% damage leach for free, this is a pretty middle ground defensive option despite the slightly increased damage you might take.

Scion - Deadeye Beserker: This shouldn't make you hate life too much.

Skill Discussion - Worst to best
Spoiler
Arrow Skills
Spoiler
Tornado Shot: Rated Aids Cancer
Easy win, I hate this skill so much, and personally refuse to use it. Sure it's awesome for clearing packs and can be good single target also. But it's ugly to use, requires no thought and so random in the way it deals damage that I can't get behind it. A lot of you just stopped reading, that's fine. You won't make me like TS.

Poison Arrow: Rated snore
Poison arrow can be boss, but it requires such specific gear to be good. As a crit bow ranger it's no good. Great for +3 bows and drillneck and all that jazz but thats not what we are discussing today.

Split Arrow: Rated Meh
This skill is not bad, it's just not amaze either, it's kind of the meat and three vege of bow skills. It will get the job done but you're not wow'd by it.

Burning Arrow: Rated Not Bad
It has a really high damage multiplier so it hits really hard and provides a solid burn on enemies. It is a great single target skill but doesn't provide a quality pack clearing option, especially after the nerf to brolif, there are just better options for pack clearing. Use for single target winning.

Ice Shot: Rated Pretty Boss
Has great area of effect and awesome utility as it creates chilled ground which gives it a good survivability boost. Has a high damage multiplier so for DPS warriors it looks really good on paper. It has a really cool visual effect and sounds cool when it hits. Super satisfying skill with great clear speed when setup right.

Puncture: Rated Quality
It is a really good single target skill, if you crit and the enemy is moving they will wreck themselves in a split second due to the high bleed. It has limited use multi target.

Frenzy: Rated the Single Target Boss
This is my favorite single target skill, it has a lowish damage multiplier, but it scales up with a 5% increased damage per frenzy charge. It also gets added extra attack speed per frenzy charge so it increases your crits per second. It also generates frenzy charges which now not only give attack speed but a more damage multiplier for extra winning.

Lightning Arrow: Rated Fun Included
This skill is ridiculous, while it's damage multiplier is lowish when set up properly, it enables you to multishot packs. Shotgunning is alive and well with this skill. If you want a visually cool looking skill that does high damage, provides fast clearance and is just generally fun to use. This is your skill baby.

Blood Rage = Use this. If you're feeling lazy you don't have to worry about building up charges using frenzy. Or once you have built up your charges you can run the rest of the map without having to build them again. Blood rage refreshes them enough to not have to worry.

Support Gems - Set that shit up right
Spoiler
The skill you use will greatly impact on the support gems you use. Gear can play a part, e.g. if you use a drillneck pierce might be a best in slot support on your single target regardless of wanting to pierce or not.

Physical Projectile Attack Damage - Pretty much every build is going to want to use this. No brainer. Depending on where you are at in your leveling process it may not be the best idea to roll this to 20% quality as it's only 10% increased phys.

Lesser Multiple Projectiles vs Greater MP - In most cases now GMP is significantly better, it's only a 35% less modifier in 2.0, it gives you better coverage and more hits, unless you are really struggling with DPS GMP is way better than LMP. Quality on both of these gems is a huge 10% increased attack speed, these gems are an instant rollover to 20% quality upon reaching lvl 20.

Added Fire vs Weapon Elemental Damage
- Some skills you are going to want to use both of these together. But some skills you're not going to have the space to fit them both. You'll want to test which works better for the skill in question, WED likely works better with Lightning Arrow where Added fire will work better with Ice shot due to the % conversions of each of these skills. This one is really hard to pick a winner overall. Q20 for these gems is pretty negligible, if you absolutely have to max your build you can roll them over, but you get most of your DPS from the level's not the quality.

Faster Attacks - In most cases it is not worthwhile, unless your bow is really slow but hard hitting you're better off with another support.

Phys to Lightning
I like the idea of this gem, and on paper it looks really good. It is a huge DPS boost. But I personally think that in reality it is paper DPS only. My reasoning for this is that it removes a large portion of your phys damage. Phys damage is important for two reasons, it leeches, and it is not resisted as much as elemental damage. Sure slotting it into your attack will give you godly DPS on paper. But I believe that it will slow your clear speed compared to slower projectiles on a single target skill. The Exception to this might be split arrow, as your pack clearing skill you don't want slow moving projectiles. But single target Slower Projectiles will scale your phys DPS which is more important IMO.

Slower Projectiles - For single target attacks slower projectiles is incredible. It's a massive boost to your DPS, it can make things a little annoying against fast moving bosses, but given you end up taking 50% increased projectile speed of the tree for most builds you end up back at 75% of regular arrow speed for a HUGE jump in damage. It also scales all damage as a more multiplier not just phys. Use this wherever you can.

Pierce - This baby is a build maker. I love this gem. Combine it with Lightning Arrow or Ice Shot, and each time you pierce an enemy you get another AOE multi hit. You don't even need a drillneck for this gem to enable map wrecking insane shotgunning.

Chain - This gem is good, but it has such a massive damage penalty. I prefer Pierce. But if you want a change then chain will provide excellent multihit capability. The only advantage it has over pierce is that it can shot around corners and the next chain is always aimed whereas pierce is a straight line/wall of damage. Chain can have some interesting effects with projectiles coming back towards you, visually interesting.

Fork - Personally I think this is a complete waste of time.

Power Charge on Crit - Unless you are using more than 3 power charges you're better off using the next gem.

Increased Critical Strikes - If you're struggling to crit and feel that crit DPS is better than any other additional dps your can add then use this gem. Unless you have more than 3 power charges then use power charge on crit.

Increased Critical Damage - Since the nerf to this gem in 1.3 I find that pretty much any other multiplier is better. Consider Added Fire, Weapon Elemental Damage or Slower Projectiles as they scale all of your damage rather than just crits.

Aura's

Spoiler
Hatred and Herald of Ash are all you need. All you will ever need. So many dps with these.

My Setup
Spoiler
Pack Clearing - Lightning Arrow > Chain > Greater Multiple Projectiles > Physical Projectile Attack Damage > Weapon Elemental Damage - Current 5L DPS 26K, potential to inflict 108K DPS to a pack of four or more mobs. I love this setup because my damage increases the more mobs there are.

Single Target - Frenzy > Physical Projectile Attack Damage > Added Fire > Weapon Elemental Damage > Slower Projectiles - Current 5L DPS 114K

Alternate Setups
Spoiler
Pack Clearing - Ice Shot Pierce, Ice Shot Chain, Lightning Arrow Chain

Single Target - Pierce, Burning Arrow

Can Atziri?
Spoiler
Yes can Atziri.

Skill Tree's

Bandits
Spoiler
Normal - Help Oak (40HP)
Cruel - Kill All (+1 Skill Point)
Merciless - Help Kraityn (+ 1 Max Frenzy Charges)

Defenses
Spoiler
Daresso's Defiance: I build my defenses around this bad boy. We tend to be tight on gem slots these days, so not having to us enduring cry to gain endurance charges is awesome. It adds huge survive when combined with CWDT Immortal call becuase every time you take damage you have endurance charges up from killing mobs. That is pretty much the end of my entire defence strategy. It works for everything including Atziri doesn't need to do any more than that.

Gear
Spoiler

Gear Discussion
Chest
Spoiler

My Favorite Chest is Daresso's Defiance. It fills the criteria of being cheap. But it also provides stupidly good defences. You get free endurance charges which mitigate physical damage when you do get hit. Set yourself up with a Cast When Damage Taken Immortal Call Increased Duration and you have phys immunity for several seconds. This stops you dying to reflect. It's awesome!

Gloves
Spoiler

Maligaro's would be nice, but they are now several exalts so I just use rare gloves with attack speed life, phys damage and resist. Makes capping resist a lot easier.

Boots
Spoiler

Brinerat Whalers are the boss. Get these.
Failing that. Get yourself movements speed, which is essential to stay alive, life and resist boots. Rare all the way baby.
I do not rate the blood dance or dark ray vectors at all ever. That shit is annoying leave it alone.
I really like Atziri's steps. They are a good option if you can't get Brinerat's e.g. whatever the next league is.

Helm
Spoiler

I never rated Starkonja's head until this league. It is literally a baby Rat's nest but with life. It is not going to provide you with as much DPS but it cost's 1C. Rat's nest is spastically expensive these days. Unless one drops for you there is really no need to invest. If one dropped for me I would just sell it to fund another build.

Quiver
Spoiler

Drillneck is the ultimate quiver. There are very few builds that would not benefit from it. However it is a multi exalt item and you can reach very similar DPS with a decent rare. As you can see my rare is pretty average, but it gets the job done.

Belt
Spoiler

Doryani's Phys is great, usually pretty cheap later in the league, tri res and damage + leech. Really good belt. However you're better off with a Rustic Sash that has life, resist and strength. That is a massive chunk of your life pool right there. Rare FTW. You can also get surprisingly good rare belts for surprisingly cheap. Be surprised!

Jewellery
Spoiler

This is where you make up your resist and your life, so you need as much resist and life as you can get. If you are able to cap out, and can afford the life then Ming's heart is a pretty wining option for you to consider. But it is not without penalty, that life is a pretty big hurdle to overcome in the new meta.

Jewels
Spoiler

I use jewels to supplement my resistances. Add a little bit of damage and provide me with additional chance to pierce. I can reach 93% chance to pierce without having to use the pierce nodes on the tree. This saves you a valuable 4 skill points.

Current Warbands Gear for 114K Dps
Spoiler

DeeeeePS
Spoiler
114KDPS Frenzy With Atziri Flask
Spoiler

94KDPS Frenzy with 7 Charges
Spoiler

31K Ice Shot GMP Chain With Atziri Flask
Spoiler

26KDPS Ice Shot 7 Charges GMP Chain
Spoiler

24KDPS LA GMP Chain Atziri Flask
Spoiler

19KDPS LA GMP Chain 7 Charges
Spoiler

Video
Spoiler
Incoming

If you liked this guide and are interested in CoC here is my Poor Man's Guide to CoC.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1459132
Last edited by AngryCustard on May 15, 2016, 10:22:37 PM
Last bumped on Jul 2, 2016, 9:11:55 AM
u meh u know

SA meh he says, take that cancer of support chain and tell me again it's meh ;)

But I wanna buy u beer for part about TS and spotting LG isn't half bad.

Cheers
Burn all the orbs!
Hey good post. Me likey.

I'm lovin' me some Split Arrow for groups and Ice Shot for BBEG (big bad evil guys). I gave up on Poison Arrow no matter how fun it was, got tired of waiting for mobs to fall over from DOT.

But yeah very nice post.
Oh I praised OP too early. Lioneye's were fine enough in 1.3, been there saw that. That fairy tale about 100% killing yourself at reflect was spreaded either by folks which didn't even had LG or gibbed themselfs once on it and gave up.

for the record: althought far from being harmless you could perfectly roll with LG and pure eva setup. I did, killed my first Atziri with it.

Burn all the orbs!
Last edited by skuadak on Aug 10, 2015, 5:34:37 PM
i like this guide as a general perspective.

i think you are missing physical to lightning as a support gem. that gem is simply the most amazing. it gives you MASSIVE bonus to damage (more than added fire actually) also it inherently gives you lightning damage which will allow shocks, which ups your damage even more.

phys to lightning actually works a lot better with WED because 50% of your dmg is converted to lightning, which then WED boosts. without WED added fire/phys to lightning are almost completely equal in DPS boost.
however the absolute best boost you'll get is with all 3 together. include PPAD for your 5th link and you're golden.

those support gems are actually better and higher DPS than with slower projectiles. test it out for yourself. the absolute highest boost is with added fire/phys to lightning/wed. and because your phys gets converted to lightning then boosted by WED even further, PPAD will give you more damage than slower projectiles "more" modifier.
"
xMustard wrote:
i like this guide as a general perspective.

i think you are missing physical to lightning as a support gem. that gem is simply the most amazing. it gives you MASSIVE bonus to damage (more than added fire actually) also it inherently gives you lightning damage which will allow shocks, which ups your damage even more.

phys to lightning actually works a lot better with WED because 50% of your dmg is converted to lightning, which then WED boosts. without WED added fire/phys to lightning are almost completely equal in DPS boost.
however the absolute best boost you'll get is with all 3 together. include PPAD for your 5th link and you're golden.

those support gems are actually better and higher DPS than with slower projectiles. test it out for yourself. the absolute highest boost is with added fire/phys to lightning/wed. and because your phys gets converted to lightning then boosted by WED even further, PPAD will give you more damage than slower projectiles "more" modifier.

I have added a section on Phys to Lightning. I did miss this as it's not a gem that I use.

I personally believe it is Paper DPS only. You lose so much of your phys damage, that reduces your leech and also phys damage is not resisted by much. So I wouldn't use it myself.
"
AngryCustard wrote:
I have added a section on Phys to Lightning. I did miss this as it's not a gem that I use.

I personally believe it is Paper DPS only. You lose so much of your phys damage, that reduces your leech and also phys damage is not resisted by much. So I wouldn't use it myself.

if you leech, yes you do lose physical damage leech. however its usually great for splitting up damage for reflect unless you use glyph mark and 1 shot yourself on everything anyway.

yes, though some mobs will be resistant to your elemental damage (just as they would against added fire also) do not forget the shock factor, which significantly boosts your damage from ALL sources against the mob.
"
xMustard wrote:
"
AngryCustard wrote:

if you leech, yes you do lose physical damage leech. however its usually great for splitting up damage for reflect unless you use glyph mark and 1 shot yourself on everything anyway.

yes, though some mobs will be resistant to your elemental damage (just as they would against added fire also) do not forget the shock factor, which significantly boosts your damage from ALL sources against the mob.

Yes you're right about shock, but I run lightning arrow for mob clearing, if I ran phys to lightning I would have ZERO phys damage, as you end up with 100% conversion. This is no good for leech obviously. If you ran ice shot you'd end up with 10% Phys damage the rest is ele. Same problem.

On Frenzy I will consider Phys to Lightning instead of Slower Projectiles/Added fire. That might work well given you can show bosses with it. I'll have a play with my Tabula tonight.
Best written guide I have seen in a long time.
Updated with Screenshots of my current DPS

Spoiler
Frenzy

85K With Charges

101K With Atziri Flask

Lightning Arrow

28K With Charges

33K With Atziri Flask

Have also fleshed out the Gear discussion including links to various items and recommendations.
Last edited by AngryCustard on Aug 11, 2015, 11:24:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info