Cold to Fire

freeze duration is based on cold damage. chance still happens even if your cold damage is 0, but that (the 0 damage) also means freezing (and chilling) never happens.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
SmilingCat wrote:
ice spells have lower base damages than fire spells

Per hit, yes (and even that is arguable, with Firestorm, Incinerate, Flame Totem and Cold Snap all breaking that). They also sport other benefits in return, such as having massive Crit Chance (Ice Spear), high Cast Speed (FP), Chilled Ground (AB). The average Base Crit Chance on Cold Spells is also slightly higher than that of Fire Spells.

However, that's not really relevant. If Conversion (and by extension, Damage Based On) were to allow multiplicative stacking, Iron Reflexes would once again be brutally overpowered, Hatred would become far stronger than it should be, and Converting your Physical Damage through the whole spectrum of Damage types would get you crazy tons of Chaos Damage.

There's plenty of good reasons it works the way it does.

Avatar of Fire combined with this Gem allows you to fully convert a Cold Spell to a Fire Spell btw.

You don't get the cold status benefits once the damages are converted to fire, it's irrelevant. Ice spells have lower average dps than fire spells, their base speed, crit chances or whatever don't change that. A full conversion of cold spells to fire damages with avatar of fire + cold to fire gives you close to 0 benefit unless you play an ice spear burning build at the moment.

Hatred would just require some numbers adjustements, which is far to be complicated. Going through all the spectrum conversion would cost massive points investment for great damages, which is exactly what critical strike already does. Only real trouble is with the use of Iron Will and Iron Grip, which are awful designs anyway in my opinion. Of course since they buffed elemental spell nodes it would be unbalanced, so the idea is unapplicable with the current numbers. Specialized elemental damages nodes should have a higher value than general ones, not the contrary, the current balance makes very little sense.

There is a good reason almost no one uses cold to fire, it's god awful in 99% of cases.
Last edited by SmilingCat on Mar 28, 2014, 5:40:47 AM
This support gem would make a lot more sense for the average build if it said "X% of cold damage added as fire", like how the Added Fire Damage support works. At the moment, the only practical use for it seems to be weird Avatar of Fire builds that use cold spells to ignite things, but even then, you're probably better off just wearing a Three Dragons helm.
Love it ^^
I got AA and using freezing pulse -hurts against reflect so what I do is: I switch life leech with CtF against reflect - AA mitigate all the fire dmg (since 50% for each proj) and only a tiny % of cold dmg hurt me.
An interesting way to make this gem work is with a atar of fire + three dragons unique helm

On a gmp freezing pulse there is 5 projectiles so 5 x the chance to shock which would stack quickly

Thats just one idea im sure theres plenty more
idk if this has been mentioned earlier but GGG should consider to make this gem able to fit on blue sockets also, this gem is a nice way to deal with reflect if you run artic armour but most of the time its not worth changing colors just for a Map

When You die on Softcore, you lose experience.
When you die on Hardcore, you gain experience.
If this gem were "Fire to Cold", i could have fun with this. As it is, I can't find any uses for Cold to Fire. You would normally rather want to Chill/Freeze over Ignite.
You can Shock with Three Dragons on your face. :p Shock is still awesome.
It also simply increases your Damage output multiplicatively now. Ice Spear should be p good for a Burn build now; Cold to Fire and Ice Spear have been buffed recently.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 2, 2014, 9:37:17 AM
Cold to fire is really useful for migrating dmg.

If you convert 50% of the cold dmg towards fire, your arctic armour will reduce this on reflect.

It's the main use for cold to fire in my opinion.
Does this gem convert before, at the same time, or after the new ring Pyre?
ex: linking Ice nova + cold to fire, while pyre is equipped.

It seems like it does, but I'd like to confirm it somehow.....
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info