Cold to Fire

Post your 0.9.3 feedback for this support here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a support.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on Apr 17, 2017, 9:40:57 AM
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
"
MrBautista wrote:
Will this gem work with auras, such as hatred?
No. Auras do not ever deal damage. This support changes the type of damage dealt by the supported skill.
"
But if you had it on a weapon attack skill and you were affected by Hatred I do believe it would convert some of the cold damage to fire damage then, right?
correct
"
visibiliti wrote:
"
thrilled wrote:
Another interesting question...

Lets say I have a weapon skill that has 100 cold damage. Then I also have the passive Ice Bite which gives 45% extra cold damage on weapon attacks. So that would make the cold damage to be 145 damage. What happens now if I would use the Cold to Fire support gem, would it make fire damage based on the 100 cold damage or the 145 cold damage?

Sincerely!

/Thrilled

From some posts that Mark@GGG has made, I would answer your scenario like this:

Base: 100 Cold Damage
Passives: +45% Cold Damage
Support: 40% cold damage converted to fire

He does the math like this (seems backwards at first but the more you research it in combination with other modifiers the more it makes sense):

100 cold damage base becomes:

60 cold damage * (1 + .45) = 87
40 fire damage * (1 + .45) = 58

In this particular example, the fire damage used your cold damage passive modifier because the fire damage came from cold damage. 58+87=145 so you may think that it came from the 145 but if you had additional modifiers you would see this is not the case. It just worked out this way in your simple example. If, for instance, we changed the question to this:

Base: 100 Cold Damage
Passives: +45% Cold Damage, +20% Fire Damage, +10% Elemental
Support: 40% cold damage converted to fire

It would go like this:

100 cold damage base becomes:

60 cold damage * (1 + .45 + .1) = 93
40 fire damage * (1 + .45 + .2 + .1) = 70

Note that it is more clear in this example that Ice Bite did NOT happen "before" Cold to Fire in terms of Order of Operations.

I hope my example helped you see how damage is calculated in the equation and in what order. Maybe Mark can confirm whether I shared this correctly :)

If Ice Bite happened "before" Cold to Fire, it would mean that the %'s are being Multiplicative, and the devs have made it clear that %'s are to be additive to prevent abuse of combining mechanics.

(The only time that something is "multiplicative" is when they use the word "MORE" instead of "Increase %", an example would be Chaos Innoculation Keystone- it says "80% MORE maximum energy shield". This is a flat 80% that goes ON TOP, after other increase % mods)
I didn't go to the extent of checking the actual numbers you got out of them, but the way you laid out the calculations is correct, as is your explanation of why they need to work this way. Well done! Now I don't have to do it for this thread :P
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 11, 2012, 7:34:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info