Cold to Fire

Because that would create a loop of Cold -> Fire -> Cold -> Fire. Conversions are always one-way.
I believe it's Phys -> Cold -> Lightning -> Fire -> Chaos.
"
visibiliti wrote:

If Ice Bite happened "before" Cold to Fire, it would mean that the %'s are being Multiplicative, and the devs have made it clear that %'s are to be additive to prevent abuse of combining mechanics.

That's regrettable, it eliminates a creative way to have high spell damages without resorting to the almighty critics. People would have to heavily specialize to get good damages out of it, as ice spells have lower base damages than fire spells, and they would lose the defensive benefits of chill and frozen status. As it is now, this gem is merely a curiosity.
Last edited by SmilingCat on Dec 29, 2013, 12:20:45 AM
"
SmilingCat wrote:
ice spells have lower base damages than fire spells

Per hit, yes (and even that is arguable, with Firestorm, Incinerate, Flame Totem and Cold Snap all breaking that). They also sport other benefits in return, such as having massive Crit Chance (Ice Spear), high Cast Speed (FP), Chilled Ground (AB). The average Base Crit Chance on Cold Spells is also slightly higher than that of Fire Spells.

However, that's not really relevant. If Conversion (and by extension, Damage Based On) were to allow multiplicative stacking, Iron Reflexes would once again be brutally overpowered, Hatred would become far stronger than it should be, and Converting your Physical Damage through the whole spectrum of Damage types would get you crazy tons of Chaos Damage.

There's plenty of good reasons it works the way it does.

Avatar of Fire combined with this Gem allows you to fully convert a Cold Spell to a Fire Spell btw.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 29, 2013, 10:51:27 AM
"
Berjiz wrote:
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
Berjiz wrote:
If I want to use cold to fire gem on Hatred should the cold to fire gem be in the aura or the skill to be used? Will a cold to fire gem in an attack skill convert the damage from hatred?
you'll need to support an attack skill to convert hatred's buff on you to another element.

Just what I thought, thanks.

I think this should be changed. It would be most beneficial for most damage lackluster phys damage specs that are based on high strength.
"
Rakschas666 wrote:
I think this should be changed. It would be most beneficial for most damage lackluster phys damage specs that are based on high strength.
i'm not sure what you're saying, the comment chain had nothing to do with str stat. it was "where do i put the support gem in order to get the effect". additionally cold to fire does not improve dps in the slightest unless you crit, then you count burning.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
Rakschas666 wrote:
i'm not sure what you're saying, the comment chain had nothing to do with str stat. it was "where do i put the support gem in order to get the effect". additionally cold to fire does not improve dps in the slightest unless you crit, then you count burning.

if cold to fire could change part of hatreds % based cold damage into % based fire dmg, it would scale with %fire dmg on gear and perhaps with lava lash. so while the gem does not per se improve dps, specific ele dmg type boosts through gear and nodes would.
btw - quality on the gem DOES increase both fire and frost dmg.

any support gem works on any linked skill gem no matter where in a chain of links you insert it. if it is able to support this gem at all. which is apparently not the case with ftf and hatred.

i would very much like that changed.
Cold to Fire cannot apply to Hatred. Hatred does not deal Cold Damage, so there is no Cold Damage to Convert to Fire Damage. All Hatred does is emit an AoE that applies a Buff.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Cold to Fire cannot apply to Hatred. Hatred does not deal Cold Damage, so there is no Cold Damage to Convert to Fire Damage. All Hatred does is emit an AoE that applies a Buff.

ffs im not that thick.

i know it is not a bug.
i know WHY it does not work.
i know it is intended the way it works now.
is it so hard to understand that all im asking is one gem to work together with an other gem?!
i simply advocate changing the gem in a way that the elemental changing property of the support gem affects the hatred aura too to allow for even more variety in fire based builds.

why?
because it seems to be more fun that way.
thats why
FUN
Last edited by Rakschas666 on Jan 6, 2014, 8:15:59 PM
then we're not sure what you're complaining about.
in order to get cold to fire's effect to "work", it has to be linked to a skill that deals damage (like an attack or a non-curse non-buff spell).
to get hatred's cold to become some portion of fire, just have it on as normal and do the previous sentence.

your sockets will be like this (a - or | indicates a link):
hatred
lightning strike - cold to fire

a lv 9 hatred and a lv 6 cold to fire means that 15% of the extra damage from physical is fire and equal amount is also cold.

the only difficulty is that the support gem goes on something ELSE than the aura. there is nothing about str bring in the way unless you don't have the attribute points for the other skills. you might as well use glacial hammer + cold to fire though to be honest as a mostly str build.
Small questions about CtF :

Let's say i play a total conversion (ctf+aof) for 100% cold=>fire.

What about passive abilities (such as the one in shadow three) that gives 5% chance to freeze? Do I still get those 5%, or none ?

And another : using Taryn's shiver, same question. Would I get the 8% chance to freeze (for this one i'm pretty sure I would, tho uncertain)

PS : build would be gmp ice spears with ++crit chances to spread lots burning (through conversion) around, possibly relying on additional safety from freezing them (if that applies)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info