[2.0.x] Iron Will Incinerate Totems 1200+ Strength, 16k+ tooltip, 8k+ life (updated 11/13/2015)

My experience with a 5-link setup:

TL/DR - I found it very playable. So long as you have a 20% quality Incinerate and are able to achieve a total of 80% or so increased projectile speed (40 from the quality bonus on Incinerate and 40 from passives, jewels or gear).

Detailed thoughts:
Spoiler

Originally I leveled my character using a fairly standard 5-link, dual flame totem setup:

Flame Totem - Fire Penetration - Iron Will - Faster Casting - Faster Projectiles

This setup worked very well until I began mapping, at which point I was dissatisfied with my DPS.

So I bought a Kauri Ward, ran a few Increased Projectile Speed jewels and dropped Faster Projectiles for Added Chaos Damage. My DPS was much, much better and clear speed was greatly increased.

At level 89 I switched to dual Incinerate (Spell) Totems. My links currently are:

Spell Totem - Incinerate - Fire Penetration - Iron Will - Faster Casting

My Incinerate gem is 20% quality (gives 40% increased projectile speed) and I'm using Kauri Ward (30% increased projectile speed) and a PS jewel (8% increased projectile speed). This gives me a total of 78% increased projectile speed.

By way of contrast, if I were to use a Faster Projectiles gem instead of the Kauri Ward and the jewel, I'd have a total of 108% increased projectile speed.

With 78% increased projectile speed, my Incinerate Totem flames deal damage almost, but not quite, to the edge of the screen.

In the image below, I'm attacking mobs spawned by a Carrion Queen. You can see the legs of the Queen to the far right of the image. The Queen is just barely out of range - although the blue flames from my totem appear to stop fairly short of the Queen, it's because the exploding mob is obscuring the end portion of the flames.
Spoiler

After taking the screenshot shown above I temporarily re-geared and attacked the same mob using Faster Projectiles instead of the Kauri Ward/jewel (108% increased projectile speed); at 108% increased projectile speed the Queen was damaged by my Incinerate Totems.

Finally, some DPS numbers:

Flame Totem (level 20): 13.5K DPS tooltip, 27K total
Incinerate Totem (level 19): 8.1K DPS tooltip, 64.8K total

Basically, I'm doing double the DPS with Incinerate totems even though my Incinerate gem is a level lower.

In conclusion, I strongly recommend this build, even running on a 5-link, so long as you can achieve a total of roughly 80% increased projectile speed which is easily doable with a Kauri Ward and one increased projectile speed jewel.

If anyone is interested in my gear/passive tree, you can examine my character TotemsTotems_ (my profile is set to public). Please note that my passive tree is a total mess at the moment. Eventually I'll be using the mana version of this build, taking advantage of the Witch start. But right now, I'm out of Regret Orbs and will push on to level 90 as-is.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 1, 2015, 7:10:16 PM
"
My Incinerate gem is 20% quality (gives 40% increased projectile speed) and I'm using Kauri Ward (30% increased projectile speed) and a PS jewel (8% increased projectile speed). This gives me a total of 78% increased projectile speed.

By way of contrast, if I were to use a Faster Projectiles gem instead of the Kauri Ward and the jewel, I'd have a total of 108% increased projectile speed.

With 78% increased projectile speed, my Incinerate Totem flames deal damage almost, but not quite, to the edge of the screen.

I hadn't run the numbers myself so it's nice to see the comparison of the projectile speed and ability to run the build without our 6th link. I forget who in this thread first mentioned Karui Ward but that definitely now seems like a viable choice until progressing into the eventual 6L.

"
Basically, I'm doing double the DPS with Incinerate totems even though my Incinerate gem is a level lower.

Yup, that's what I found early on as well with the FT vs Incinerate totem argument, good to see it still holds true without having full gear.

"
In conclusion, I strongly recommend this build, even running on a 5-link, so long as you can achieve a total of roughly 80% increased projectile speed which is easily doable with a Kauri Ward and one increased projectile speed jewel.

I'll add your notes to the first page. These sorts of recommendations can definitely help newcomers :)
Got my last Hardcore Achievement! :-)
Spoiler
"
hankinsohl wrote:
Got my last Hardcore Achievement! :-)
Spoiler

GG!Grats buddy!
"
Fenrils wrote:
GG!Grats buddy!

Thanks!
Probably final update on the guide considering 2.1 is hitting. Given the inevitable incinerate changes, the build may or may not be viable come December. We shall see :)
Let's hope this build remains viable; scaling strength for life, armor and DPS is very nice.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd chime in with my experience on Darkshrine Softcore.

Currently I've tweaked the build and am running magic find - my goal is to save enough currency to purchase all the nice uniques/rares used by this build and to 6-link a high-armor chestpiece.

With a few tweaks, this build is extremely good at magic find, offering good mobility, high clear speed and reasonable safety (at least for softcore).

I haven't died yet while magic finding in spite of the fact that I'm a lot more aggressive when magic finding than I am when trying to level.

I'm running 292 rarity/18 quantity at 4.5K life, capped resists and 5.8K tool tip DPS with level 19 gems (46.4K actual). The downside is that I've given up a ton of armor (only 20% physical reduction), but this is fine for me as I'm in softcore and I'm running maps Tier 6 and lower.

From my experience, this magic find setup is on par with Poison Arrow magic find.

My gear:
Spoiler

My tree:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUABLMGDgn2C2EMXw3NEMwUIBZvGjgaPhynHM4nLyftKS4qEytQNZI62DwtPfxDyEbXSshPBFBHU6VXDVhjWOVZ81orW6BfP2P9ZlRmnmebaFhoZWjyah5qO26qbztxhXIPcql4DXrmeyB7w3wOfLiCB4KbguSDX4PMidiKr4zPkBGQVZRvmjuiAKPyp1Wtja4-r2yvp7FCtfK3PsAawGbE9sauxtjPftIh1HzVpteW2L3ZYdl82rnhc-Nq5FHsOO087w7wH_Gs8i_yQfOb9kj4k_rS_gr-VP6H

Notes:
1. I'm running two +8% projectile speed jewels along with Karui ward since I've swapped out my Projectile Speed gem for Item Rarity.
2. I was lucky and found a 6-linked white chest early in the league. But you could run a magic find setup similar to this using a Tabula Rasa.
3. I've made up for resists/missing projectile speed/DPS by abusing jewels; six jewels are extremely effective.

Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 14, 2015, 1:39:11 AM
"
Fenrils wrote:

New chest has been crafted :D

Outside of the "meh" strength, it's basically perfect for non-eternal crafting as far as I am concerned.

Out of curiosity, how did you craft that?

Two weeks into softcore Darkshrine and there's a disappointing lack of very high armor/life chests.
"
hankinsohl wrote:
"
Fenrils wrote:

New chest has been crafted :D

Outside of the "meh" strength, it's basically perfect for non-eternal crafting as far as I am concerned.

Out of curiosity, how did you craft that?

Two weeks into softcore Darkshrine and there's a disappointing lack of very high armor/life chests.

That one I actually just chaosed but I have crafted similar (though admittedly worse) chests for IW in the past.

Steps to craft it from scratch (without eternals) are as followed:

1. Alt into t1 life, flat armour, or strength. No roll is worth regaling unless it has at least one of these three.

2. Regal into a third t1 stat of the aforementioned rolls leaving you with at least 2 ideal affix and a keepable but not necessarily perfect (e.g. a not worthless resist. scour if you regal into regen or thorns).

3. From here, you should have a 3 stat rare with either 2 suffixes and 1 prefix or vice-versa. Either way, you want to multimod and then put on thorns if you have 2 prefixes open or life regen if you have a suffix open. What this does is make it so that on your exalt, the only rolls you have a chance of seeing are %armour, flat armour, or hybrid. Ideally you get t1 flat but a t1 % is also keepable. If you exalted a trash roll, unfortunately you need to start over (unless you already happened upon t1 strength, t1 life, t1 flat, at which point you take off the master mods and yolo exalt in hopes it still ends up being good).

4. Reaching step four means you have a 4 stat rare with t1 life, t1 strength, t1 flat armour, and a keepable suffix. From here you have two choices: you can either put thorns on and exalt for a t1 resist or put life regen on it and exalt for t1 %armour. Either way, the obvious rolls are ideal. With some luck, you get a t1 stat of either variety and can move to step 5.

5. At this point, you have 5 t1 stats and far too much luck. From here you either exalt hoping for a perfect resist or master mod your last resist (or %armour assuming you went for the t1 resist in the last step) and be happy with a gg chest anyway.

As you can tell from all this, crafting from a white chest is a huge pain in the ass and requires a hell of a lot of luck on each step. If you aren't worried about perfect stats, I'd honestly suggest just chaosing it until you get 1.5k+ armour, strength, and good life. Resists can be made up for but those stats are key for your chest.
Last edited by Fenrils on Nov 18, 2015, 2:08:07 PM
Thanks for the detailed response Fenrils.

On the topic of crafting...

Do you know whether or not there's a list of affixes along with the probabilities/weights of rolling them? I've googled for this and found some sparse data about a few items but nothing comprehensive and nothing about chest piece affixes.

For master crafting, it seems that you ought to be able to leverage "prefixes cannot be changed" or "suffixes cannot be changed" perhaps in combination with multi-modding. The "cannot be changed" mods aren't nearly as nice as eternal orbs but they would allow you to back up to the point of 3 tier 1 suffixes/prefixes so you'd not need to start all over in the event of a bad exalt. I'm thinking of going this route (probably on standard where I have more currency and level 8 masters). For Darkshrine I'll probably just get a 6-link Astral Plate and chaos it if nothing good turns up in trade within the next week or so.

Oh, one other question... how many chaos orbs did you spend crafting that chest? Seems you could easily spend a thousand or more getting such a nice outcome.

Edit:
Spoiler

I picked this up for 10c in Darkshrine
Spoiler

I think I'll take that back to standard, remove the strength mod, stick on "prefixes cannot be changed", scour and then go for t1 strength and a t1 resist via the method outlined above, backing up to the 3 prefixes in the event of a bad exalt. Life on the chest is t2 but I can live with that...

Meanwhile, I'm going to turn in 6 Celestial Justicar cards for a 6-link astral plate and chaos it for use in Darkshrine.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 19, 2015, 8:47:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info