Ground Slam

I'm still waiting for an explanation of the animation \ casting \ slower mace ending up being faster experience I'm having. So far I've only experienced with this once mace with increased attack speed.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
"
Morsexier wrote:
I'm still waiting for an explanation of the animation \ casting \ slower mace ending up being faster experience I'm having. So far I've only experienced with this once mace with increased attack speed.
I'm not sure what your question is? On the previous page you said you made a video to explain the question, but I can't find any posts by you in this thread where you actually asked a question about this, nor can I see anything particularly out of the ordinary in the video.

I'll quote this from earlier in the thread in case it answers your question:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
dainbramage wrote:
Just to confirm - the attack speed of ground slam is now affected by the base weapon type, and also attacks ~17.6% faster (i.e. 1/0.85) than the character screen would indicate, right?
No? Ground Slam has never been affected by the base attack duration of your weapon, and still is not. The skill has it's own base duration, which is then affected by attack speed. The DPS/attacks per second display on the character screen is incorrect for ground slam, because it does not know this, but the amount by which it is wrong will depend on the base duration of the weapon, which the DPS calculation uses, but ground slam does not.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Morsexier wrote:
I'm not sure what your question is? On the previous page you said you made a video to explain the question, but I can't find any posts by you in this thread where you actually asked a question about this, nor can I see anything particularly out of the ordinary in the video.

I'll quote this from earlier in the thread in case it answers your question:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
dainbramage wrote:
Just to confirm - the attack speed of ground slam is now affected by the base weapon type, and also attacks ~17.6% faster (i.e. 1/0.85) than the character screen would indicate, right?
No? Ground Slam has never been affected by the base attack duration of your weapon, and still is not. The skill has it's own base duration, which is then affected by attack speed. The DPS/attacks per second display on the character screen is incorrect for ground slam, because it does not know this, but the amount by which it is wrong will depend on the base duration of the weapon, which the DPS calculation uses, but ground slam does not.

Fair enough I'm sure I did a bad job of framing my question.

I more wanted to know how despite the base duration\attack speed of Ground Slam, how having 25% on my weapon seems to make my ground slams occur ~twice as fast.

Also maybe I misunderstand, is it that the game animates the attack based on the speed of the weapon in question, but what actually happens is based solely on your attack speed?

To be clear, what I see on the screen in order of "attacks per second" to the naked eye from slowest to fastest, not what my character screen says go in this order

Slow weapon no + attack speed
Fast weapon.
Fast weapon with attack speed
Slow weapon with attack speed

The place of those final two are what confuses me. To be clearer, My Ground Slam gems, including faster attacks is in my chest, so swapping weapons has no other effect than what is on the weapon itself for Ground Slam for this test.

I hope I managed to make myself clearer !
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
Ground slam does not use the weapon's base attack duration. The skill has it's own base duration which is used. This is affected by any and all increases to attack speed. Effectively the base attack duration from the weapon is 'replaced' by the one from ground slam, with all the same modifiers applying.

As such, the base attack duration of a weapon is irrelevant, but the amount of increased attack speed is not.

The "attacks per second" displayed on the skill is incorrect as it cannot currently account for this.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Ground slam does not use the weapon's base attack duration. The skill has it's own base duration which is used. This is affected by any and all increases to attack speed. Effectively the base attack duration from the weapon is 'replaced' by the one from ground slam, with all the same modifiers applying.

As such, the base attack duration of a weapon is irrelevant, but the amount of increased attack speed is not.

The "attacks per second" displayed on the skill is incorrect as it cannot currently account for this.

Was my mistake, the fast mace with increased attack speed had only 15% vs the 25% on the new mace I got. Shows how much +attack speed I have in talents and gear that the 10% ended up being quite noticeable.
that makes me wonder... what IS the base speed of ground slam, given that the tooltip isn't currently correct?
850ms
So GGG doesn't care that ground slam is the best skill and is leaps and bounds better than any melee skill?
HC IGN: OrlandoFlorida / TheRoadBackToOriath
Last edited by haitu on Sep 18, 2012, 2:29:39 AM
When comparing this skill to other types of AoE melee skills (cleave and sweep), Ground Slam has a way too high base damage. Both cleave and sweep don't get the range bonus ground slam does, but both have lower base damage (70%ish from memery).

Whirling blades has a base damage of 60%, and is less effective than ground slam for area coverage (but it has movement advantages).

Lightning strike has base area damage of 50% (50% phys converted to lightning and shot out as projectiles). Lightning strike also has less area coverage (3 projectiles at fixed angles).

Ground slam has 80% (from memory) of phys base damage, creates a full cone of damage, with a reasonable distance at its peak. Also has a decent breadth. Also has additional stun properties.

I would suggest either making its base damage much less, OR making higher level gem not increase the damage, but increase the stun effects. (even then, I'd suggest dropping base damage to 70%).

My 2c.
Ground Slam: 88% base damage +4% per level as well as 35% reduced enemy stun threshold. Has a fixed attack speed that is increased by attack speed only. (Is it .85 attacks per second or .85 second attack animation?)
Cleave: 70% base damage +3% per level with weapon attack speed but not as much range
Lightning Strike: 100% damage on actual strike (50/50 phys/lit) and 3 projectiles that do 70% base damage, all +3% per level (Not sure if the +3% only affects the projectiles or whole attack)
Whirling Blades: 60% base damage +3% per level also causes rampant desync at higher attack speeds.

Not only does GS do more damage at level 1, it continually gets even higher damage as it levels. It also has the perfect balance between a defensive and offensive attack. It will also go through objects that block Lightning Strike's projectiles and go up and down terrain.

Whirling Blades by all means should be in the place that Ground Slam is since it puts you in the most compromising position of all of these attacks. But that is another topic.

Level 20 Damages! (Based on a 100 damage item cause I am lazy!)
Ground Slam: 154.88
Cleave:109.9
Lightning Strike: 157 (Melee hit) 109.9 Projectiles
Whirling Blades: 94.2

Attack speed aside, you can get comparable attack speeds via gems and passives, ground slam is obviously leagues ahead. Heck, whirling blades doesn't even get back to the base weapon damage.

In conclusion, DO NOT nerf ground slam. Instead BUFF the other abilities! Slammers stay happy, everyone else is happy too!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info