Dominating Blow

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
gameglz wrote:
-question chain about minion item find-
we cannot see the monster's mods. they take yours and add it to kills with credit given to owner of the respective minion. we have no information on what stats the monster actually has other than resistance and things that are listed under thier life bar.

hmm so can i assume that DW minions just work as other summoner's minion in terms of item drop? Or this is just cant be confirmed at the moment...
i already said all that can be confirmed. yes, they are treated as summoner minions, in all aspects. they are similar to spectre's only stronger because of the skill effects itself and that some mobs have extra abilities... and keep thier own buffs. for cost of needing to be melee and near finishing kill and limited duration.
"
Aragashia wrote:
Ever since I got hold of a Soul Taker I've been using Dominating Blow when soloing - before that the life/mana costs were just too absurd to make the skill worthwhile. I would go as far as to say that this skill actually requires a Soul Taker to be used properly.

Positives: It's a truly amazing skill when playing solo, and I find that it encourages a sort of 'zerging' behaviour due to me wanting to keep the minion counter high. While the minions generally lag behind, just using leap slam to get past a pack you want to kill is usually enough to drop your army directly ontop of them.

Negatives: The fun factor really drops fast once you enter a group though - and more often than not I'll just swap it for something else. One or two Infernal Blow/Culling Strike users can really mess things up for you - at least this was my experience so far.

For those interested - Merciless Lunaris 3 + Piety run: Youtube Video

The problem is this build requires a 40 to 50 exalted orb item to make it work.

One of two things really need to change with this skill - either reduce the mana usage by about 3 fold or increase the "short" duration between hitting a mob and that mob dieing.

My mana cost on this skill is about 190/attack with 3 attacks/second and around 250 mana/second regen and mana leech on the skill. On average, I get 1 or 2 attacks of this a second in and this short duration is maybe .5 seconds after hitting the mob because well over half the mobs I'm hitting are not getting converted.

I just can't sustain 570 mana/second and it doesn't make sense that it is that high because you have to essentially land a killing blow with the skill to get the dominated mob. You can't use culling strike because your minions have culling strike, too.

From a logical stand point, this either needs it's mana reduced by 3 fold to around where frenzy is or it needs it's short timer extended to over a second.
Last edited by darkel on Nov 26, 2013, 8:32:15 AM
Do dominated mobs with auras have their auras buffed by my Increased Effect of Aura passives?
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
Last edited by Kenzorz on Dec 1, 2013, 7:06:42 PM
"
Do dominated mobs with auras have their auras buffed by my Increased Effect of Aura passives?
no, they don't have your passives.
"
darkel wrote:
"
Aragashia wrote:
Ever since I got hold of a Soul Taker I've been using Dominating Blow when soloing - before that the life/mana costs were just too absurd to make the skill worthwhile. I would go as far as to say that this skill actually requires a Soul Taker to be used properly.

Positives: It's a truly amazing skill when playing solo, and I find that it encourages a sort of 'zerging' behaviour due to me wanting to keep the minion counter high. While the minions generally lag behind, just using leap slam to get past a pack you want to kill is usually enough to drop your army directly ontop of them.

Negatives: The fun factor really drops fast once you enter a group though - and more often than not I'll just swap it for something else. One or two Infernal Blow/Culling Strike users can really mess things up for you - at least this was my experience so far.

For those interested - Merciless Lunaris 3 + Piety run: Youtube Video

The problem is this build requires a 40 to 50 exalted orb item to make it work.

One of two things really need to change with this skill - either reduce the mana usage by about 3 fold or increase the "short" duration between hitting a mob and that mob dieing.

My mana cost on this skill is about 190/attack with 3 attacks/second and around 250 mana/second regen and mana leech on the skill. On average, I get 1 or 2 attacks of this a second in and this short duration is maybe .5 seconds after hitting the mob because well over half the mobs I'm hitting are not getting converted.

I just can't sustain 570 mana/second and it doesn't make sense that it is that high because you have to essentially land a killing blow with the skill to get the dominated mob. You can't use culling strike because your minions have culling strike, too.

From a logical stand point, this either needs it's mana reduced by 3 fold to around where frenzy is or it needs it's short timer extended to over a second.

ur crazy man

use culling and bloodmagic. who cares if your minions cull? that actually helps you get the domination. it's not hard to hit at low life with cull. not really a skill intended to be spammed.
"
waffenheimer wrote:
ur crazy man

use culling and bloodmagic. who cares if your minions cull? that actually helps you get the domination. it's not hard to hit at low life with cull. not really a skill intended to be spammed.

Culling strike doesn't help or hurt your chances to get the domination. Effectively, you would need to figure the attack based off of 90% of the health instead of 100% of the health. The likelihood that 90% of the mob's health is gone .5 seconds after you hit with this skill is the same as the likelihood that 100% of the mob's health is gone .5 seconds after you hit with this skill when both you and your minions make the kill at that health level.

Blood Magic would waste a gem slot and cause the spell to be around 400 health a use or make you squishy and screw up your auras. You're better off running it on mana and only converting a third of the mobs.
You don't exclusively fight monsters that are on 100% Life, so you don't need to one-shot literally everything just to get a Dom off. Let your Dominated monsters hit a guy and just killsteal them. Lot cheaper than to hit stuff all the way from 100% to zero.
If you're all alone, well, that's what you have that whole skillbar for.

Inclined to agree on Blood Magic though. Sounds prohibitively expensive and doesn't make your minions any more impressive (and you're already running Cull too? Ehh).
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 2, 2013, 9:47:46 PM
The tool-tip has a bug where it applies the "More Minion Damage" to your damage read-out.
Tin foil hats are a lie propagated by the aluminium industry.
This is my new favorite skill, found it 2 days ago and leveling has never been funnier... :D
Right now i use only increased duration to support it and have about 40 sec duration..
Don't know how this works in Merciless but in Cruel act3 it still outperforms my totem by a lot.

It requires some learning to use it effectivily, but after 10 hours i'm getting used to it.
When you enter a new area, first encounter is kinda difficult but after you manage to convert 5 minions, things get a lot easier.. for the next pack of monsters i can choose who to convert.

My favorites are either fast moving melees or big tanky ones.. and i try to always convert all the rares..
My funniest moment was after converting few whites, some lightningarrow/crit blue archers and a Strom Herald rare and then laugh my ass off while they raped Perpetus, i just stand in the Beartrap and spam Temporal Chains on poor Perp.. those archers kept him shocked and SH did the rest.
d:-D*

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info