Discharge

Is it possible to use the Trap support gem to Discharge at a distance, or is it like totems where the game goes "well we SAID it uses the skill as if you had cast it, but it's going to check the trap's charges instead of yours, because fuck you"?
IGN: Totemofo
Last edited by lordbadguy on Sep 24, 2013, 9:09:56 PM
"
lordbadguy wrote:
Is it possible to use the Trap support gem to Discharge at a distance, or is it like totems where the game goes "well we SAID it uses the skill as if you had cast it, but it's going to check the trap's charges instead of yours, because fuck you"?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Trap

"Creates a Trap which uses this skill when triggered", according to this, all the trap does is use the skill. I would assume that it does allow discharge to be used at a distance using your charges.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Spell_Totem

"Creates a Totem which uses this skill", according to this skill, the totem is using the skill. Based on the wording, I would also believe that it is a separate entity that uses your spell damage reduced by a percentage, and does not share anything else with you as previously discussed.

I don't see why you are so expectant that spell totems should've had your charges. Discharge is already overpowered, even if you just pop it in to most builds that use charges.
Last edited by Natharias on Sep 28, 2013, 1:33:59 PM
The wording for both Traps and Totems is the same, except for 'when triggered': both imply the newly created entity uses the Skill. I don't see how you interpret both in a different way :P
The Trap uses Discharge, the Trap burns Charges.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 28, 2013, 1:48:10 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The wording for both Traps and Totems is the same, except for 'when triggered': both imply the newly created entity uses the Skill. I don't see how you interpret both in a different way :P

The wording may be essentially the same but the entities are somewhat different. The totem has a purpose and will act independently, but the trap acts only when you tell it to. It would be possible for a trap to work in such a way, but I doubt it.
"
deusapollo wrote:
"
casval776 wrote:

Even at lvl 27, my Templar is Discharging for...

Try leveling a Discharger to lvl 90 an u'll see that it isn't that easy...

I've seen and played many other builds, which were way more safe and could kill enemies almost the same speed.

As for maintaining charges: It happens so often, that u run into a boss mob, just after ur charges expired. Then u can't use ur main attack and will struggle to survive. Or try killing a MapBoss like Piety with Discharge... gl with that ;)

Try leveling some reading comprehension and you'll see what I'm saying.
At Lvl 27 I was hitting the whole screen and maintaining constant charges. I fail to see the difference between Lvl 27 and 90 for that purpose, considering you'd have higher EC/WM and probably a few more AoE Passives.

I won't hold my breath for another "clever" attempt.

"
Natharias wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:

The wording may be essentially the same but the entities are somewhat different. The totem has a purpose and will act independently, but the trap acts only when you tell it to. It would be possible for a trap to work in such a way, but I doubt it.

They're not.
Totems and Traps are separate entities that use the skills linked to it. If you link Discharge to either, they'll use the skill and their own charges. The only difference between the two is that one repeats for a set duration, the other just uses it and expires.

It's like putting Frenzy on a totem and wondering why the totem is getting charges and not you.
If you're reading this, I'm probably on another year-long ban.
Thanks GGG.
Last edited by casval776 on Oct 16, 2013, 8:23:00 PM
Lately I've been having a lot of technical issues with discharge, where I would discharge and see the animation and effects on the ground, but no endurance charges would be spent and the discharge wouldn't damage the mobs.

This can be very tricky when surrounded by mobs, especially since the first discharge that doesn't do damage uses up your mana. Died few times to it as I though I discharged and would leech life but since it was a 'false' discharge, I just died.

„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
Last edited by Odoakar on Oct 19, 2013, 5:21:47 AM
If you're surrounded by monsters, it's not uncommon to be Stunned. That will interrupt your cast.
Are you Stun immune?

(there do seem to be cases where the cast is interrupted even under Stun immunity)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 19, 2013, 7:31:32 AM
If you can just spam discharge, I can see how that would be OP. As a person who doesn't have the gear to do that (probably could trade for it), I don't think discharge is overpowered. Getting all the charges "manually" can be a pain and takes some time. Maybe the uniques just need to be nerfed.
anyone knows the range for discharge? I would like to know how much I need to increase the range to cover the whole area around me which I can see. if anyone knows it would be great to know.

"
Mephos wrote:
anyone knows the range for discharge? I would like to know how much I need to increase the range to cover the whole area around me which I can see. if anyone knows it would be great to know.

mark is nice if you ask also helps to look around =p

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info