Critical Weakness

"
Dynas wrote:
Is the crit chance given from this skill affected by twin terrors? Is it affected by passives at all?

No, other than crit dmg passives obviously.
"
Torrenz wrote:
Wouldn't it make sense for the critical damage boost to be multiplicative? Contrary to its description, Critical Weakness actually becomes less effective the more focused on crits you are because the additive effects get weaker relatively as your base crit chance and multiplier increase.

As a wander with 25% or so critical chance and 220% modifier, the flat 25% total damage boost from Projectile Weakness is enough to outclass CW which at this point nets only ~23% more damage, and only on critical strikes. The crit chance bonus is additive too, so I only get 20% increased chance to crit; not enough to compensate for 25% more damage on normal hits and all the other goodies I could get with Projectile Weakness. In fact, I feel like I crit just as much with PW thanks to the evasion debuff.
I used lvl 1 gems here, but I think the comparison stands later on aswell. I abandoned my lvl 15 CW instantly when I tried out a lvl 1 PW.

This is my specific situation, but I imagine it applies to any build because every damage type has a multiplicative curse and most offer additional benefits with their damage boosts.
Conversely Crit Weakness gets *better* compared to Conductivity/Flammability/Frostbite the more focused on crits you are in an elemental build.

The Elemental Curses cap out around 14% chance to debuff on non-crits.

For a max level Crit Weakness to give 14% "chance to debuff" it would need to reduce your normal hit chance by 14%. Or roughly 1/7. Which means at 30% Crit Crit Weakness is better at debuffing than the elemental curses. That takes 400% crit chance on a 6% crit weapon. Not outside of the realm of possibility.

And of course curses affecting resistances above 125% are effectively useless (they reduce hidden resists not effective resists) for increases damage pr hit. I personally prefer Crit Weakness to Elemental Weakness curses because I like the extra crits as a melee.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
When in the discussion of Vulnerability/Projectile Weakness/Critical Weakness, which would be the two to take as far as raw damage? I'm running a build which with CW it will have 21.75% crit chance, and 212% increased critical multiplier from passives/gear (362% counting base) currently. Using dual EK totems and dual curses I've been running PW/Vuln, however would it be more beneifical to drop projectile weakness in most cases for CW? I hadn't considered it until I had a 7% quality CW, which puts it at a 60% at level 1.

Edit: Derped on the multiplier, forgot it's not additive with the base and subsequent. Not sure how much I'd have with my build as my brain cannot math currently. lol
IGN: TsukiZap
Last edited by Severrin on Mar 18, 2013, 10:06:25 PM
The curse is okay for skills that can shotgun but for any single target skill it's not even worth casting this.
"
Severrin wrote:
When in the discussion of Vulnerability/Projectile Weakness/Critical Weakness, which would be the two to take as far as raw damage? I'm running a build which with CW it will have 21.75% crit chance, and 212% increased critical multiplier from passives/gear (362% counting base) currently. Using dual EK totems and dual curses I've been running PW/Vuln, however would it be more beneifical to drop projectile weakness in most cases for CW? I hadn't considered it until I had a 7% quality CW, which puts it at a 60% at level 1.

Edit: Derped on the multiplier, forgot it's not additive with the base and subsequent. Not sure how much I'd have with my build as my brain cannot math currently. lol
Pretty sure PW is going to be more effective than CW at any point with EK.

CW is actualy better for melee than ranged on average, and better for elemental spells than physical damage. But that's because PW increases damage multiplicatively (they take more damage, thus increasing damage dealt not damage rolled) and adds high pierce.

Take it with a grain of salt because I haven't played aprojectile build. Unless you have very massive crit and crit multiplier PW is just going to be better.
all three damage boosting curses (crit weakness, vulnerability, and projectile weakness) are multiplicative boosts. the difference for EK with all three is: stun chance and duration with vern, knockback with proj. but not acc as it is a spell and always hit (unless mobs have spell block/dodge), crit chance inc and variable damage boost depending on investment. vern and proj will be the same roughly via ether knieves in number and utility, while crit weakness will be more if you already have crit damage invested or less if have none.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Mar 22, 2013, 2:47:06 PM
Ok, from reading through this thread, it's clear that critical weakness, like any curse, affects the monster, not the character.

That means the additional crit chance is effectively additive with your final crit chance after all buffs, passives, etc. (at lvl 1, 5%->10%, 10%->15%, etc.), and the critical multiplier is multiplicative with your critical mulitiplier, i.e. only affects the number above 100% (150%->175%, 200%->250%, etc.).

Here's my question. From page 2,

"
konfeta wrote:
The support gem affects only the skill's base chance. The curse, according to every time I saw Mark or someone else discuss it, adds a flat +% crit chance after all other calculations are said and done.

Perhaps this was just not clearly stated (and not from Mark or someone else at GGG, so grain of salt), but "after all other calculations are said and done" confused me. Does this additional chance to crit add directly to the crit chance on a monster, or does it apply after the evasion calculation for avoiding a crit?

As an example, if I had 50% chance to hit, and a 10% base crit chance, then for a monster I have hit, the actual chance to crit would be:

50% * 10% = 5%

So, is the actual chance with critical weakness:

50% * (10% + 5%) = 7.5%
or
50% * 10% + 5% = 10% ?
Last edited by FrederickHermanJonesJr on Mar 24, 2013, 12:36:32 PM
Whether the skill Crits or not is determined before the Crit is confirmed (second Evasion Check). How Crit Weakness functions. Ergo, the first example.

(I honestly can't think of a way to make the second example work anyways, lol)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 24, 2013, 1:14:56 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Whether the skill Crits or not is determined before the Crit is confirmed (second Evasion Check). How Crit Weakness functions. Ergo, the first example.

Yes, I saw this example, but as with most others in this thread, it was for spells, and there was no mention of the evasion check.

I, like you, also believe that it is the first case (it makes more sense to me), but the wording seemed a little ambiguous. But to answer your final statement, the second example could easily work: while we often discuss two separate checks for evasion and for crit, there really isn't any reason there needs to be two, because the actual chance to crit is really just:

actual_chance_to_crit = chance_to_hit * chance_to_crit

So, just replace chance_to_crit in your example with actual_chance_to_crit. By doing only one check for the chance to crit rather than checking both evasion and crit chance, the added crit chance from critical weakness could easily modify the crit chance either before or after the chance to hit:

example 1:
actual_chance_to_crit = chance_to_hit * (chance_to_crit + bonus_chance_to_crit)

example 2:
actual_chance_to_crit = chance_to_hit * chance_to_crit + bonus_chance_to_crit

Or, do you have a link to the description of the second evasion check that would clear this up?
"
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Yes, I saw this example, but as with most others in this thread, it was for spells, and there was no mention of the evasion check.

I, like you, also believe that it is the first case (it makes more sense to me), but the wording seemed a little ambiguous. But to answer your final statement, the second example could easily work: while we often discuss two separate checks for evasion and for crit, there really isn't any reason there needs to be two, because the actual chance to crit is really just:

actual_chance_to_crit = chance_to_hit * chance_to_crit

So, just replace chance_to_crit in your example with actual_chance_to_crit. By doing only one check for the chance to crit rather than checking both evasion and crit chance, the added crit chance from critical weakness could easily modify the crit chance either before or after the chance to hit:

example 1:
actual_chance_to_crit = chance_to_hit * (chance_to_crit + bonus_chance_to_crit)

example 2:
actual_chance_to_crit = chance_to_hit * chance_to_crit + bonus_chance_to_crit

Or, do you have a link to the description of the second evasion check that would clear this up?
The crit roll works like this...

Roll for Hit
Roll for Crit
Roll for Crit Damage bonus (For attacks that aren't shield charge)

So example two can never happen because the rolls aren't the same roll. Ever.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info