Critical Weakness

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Yes, you will deal 30% MORE damage on critical hits to cursed normal enemy
With Q20lvl20 curse, you deal 80% MORE damage on critical hit. Your crit multiplier doesnt really matter, you just deal MORE damage on critical hit, that's all.

I dont think this is correct and your crit multiplier and especially your crit chance does matter A LOT!

As far as I understand this calculation it isnt another full 'MORE' multiplier. It only multiplies your crit-dmg multiplier (your crit-dmg is 80% higher). But you dont get 80% more dmg in your total calculation, because you still have only 1 (crit) multiplier.

Calculation average dmg without curse :
base dmg * (1 + crit chance * crit dmg) * (1 + 'increased' modifier) * (1 + 'spell dmg on low life' modifier) and so on

Calculation average dmg with curse :
base dmg * (1 + crit chance * crit dmg * curse modifier) * (1 + 'incresed' modifier)...

Example (with 100% crit chance and no other multipliers than crit+curse):
1k base dmg; 200% crit dmg:
1000 * (1 + 1 * 2) = 3000 dmg

1k base dmg; 200% crit dmg and 80% more crit dmg from curse:
1000 * (1 + 1 * 2 * 1,8) = 1000 * (1 + 3,6) = 4600 dmg

=> You see, even without considering crit chance, the curse doesnt give you 80% 'more' dmg. In this case the curse only gives you 53,33% more dmg.

For a build highly based on crit it sill is a really awesome curse because of the high crit chance AND the crit dmg multiplier .
It's a whole package -> more crits -> more ele procs -> less variance -> better dmg.
-> But I dont recommend using a (20% qual) crit curse with less than 30% crit chance and 200% crit multiplier (unless you really need the crit chance to keep up your power charges).
There is one thing I dont understand with crit curse:

crit is rolled one time per cast, so all of e.g. EK's projectiles either crit or not

=> What happens when I hit cursed and not cursed monsters in 1 cast? Wich crit chance is taken for my cast? The higher chance with curse or the low chance without the curse?
I could imagine the following:

1. Crit is rolled for the monster you hit first (So basically if you hit an uncursed monster first, the whole curse doesnt do anything)
2. Crit is rolled for the lowest crit chance (The curse doesnt do anything if you hit a single uncursed monster)
3. Crit is rolled for the highest crit chance (even if you only hit 1 cursed monster, you get the bonus on your whole cast => curse radius isnt that imporant)
4. Crit is rolled for cursed/uncursed monsters seperately (well then crit isnt really rolled per cast)
5. A new average crit chance is calculated before the roll

Really need to know this as this would grately influence the power of the curse and your playstyle...
"
azraelb wrote:
There is one thing I dont understand with crit curse:

crit is rolled one time per cast, so all of e.g. EK's projectiles either crit or not

=> What happens when I hit cursed and not cursed monsters in 1 cast? Wich crit chance is taken for my cast? The higher chance with curse or the low chance without the curse?
I could imagine the following:

1. Crit is rolled for the monster you hit first (So basically if you hit an uncursed monster first, the whole curse doesnt do anything)
2. Crit is rolled for the lowest crit chance (The curse doesnt do anything if you hit a single uncursed monster)
3. Crit is rolled for the highest crit chance (even if you only hit 1 cursed monster, you get the bonus on your whole cast => curse radius isnt that imporant)
4. Crit is rolled for cursed/uncursed monsters seperately (well then crit isnt really rolled per cast)
5. A new average crit chance is calculated before the roll

Really need to know this as this would grately influence the power of the curse and your playstyle...

you don't roll against a specific creature, ever. not for hit not for crit etc.

think of it as in pen and paper games: you roll your attack, and THEN check the armor class of the monster:

in PoE version:

say you have 60% crit and a curse that gives you +30%chance to crit. That curse is applied to half the mobs.

You make a roll and roll 78% (for a crit you would need 1-60%). This means that on normal circumstances, this wouldn't be a crit, but when the engine checks the cursed mob it sees that hey, this mobs gives -30% in the player's check, so 78%-30%=48% so a crit.

so you would crit on the mobs with the curse and NOT on the mobs without.
"
shroudb wrote:

say you have 60% crit and a curse that gives you +30%chance to crit. That curse is applied to half the mobs.

You make a roll and roll 78% (for a crit you would need 1-60%). This means that on normal circumstances, this wouldn't be a crit, but when the engine checks the cursed mob it sees that hey, this mobs gives -30% in the player's check, so 78%-30%=48% so a crit.

Tested this a bit and In my experience this isnt right...

My Ek either crits on all mobs (cursed or not) or on none.
It has to be either the crit chance with curse for all monsters I hit or the curse doesnt boost my crit chance at all if I hit uncursed monsters too...

I assume the crit chance from curse doesnt apply if you hit uncursed monsters (or is rolled for the first monster you hit). I have a feeling that I crit more often when I only hit cursed monsters. But also could be just bad luck with my rolls...

Really need an confirmation from one of the devs...
Last edited by azraelb on Dec 7, 2013, 2:45:08 PM
"
azraelb wrote:
"
shroudb wrote:

Tested this a bit and In my experience this isnt right...

My Ek either crits on all mobs (cursed or not) or on none.
It has to be either the crit chance with curse for all monsters I hit or the curse doesnt boost my crit chance at all if I hit uncursed monsters too...

I assume the crit chance from curse doesnt apply if you hit uncursed monsters (or is rolled for the first monster you hit). I have a feeling that I crit more often when I only hit cursed monsters. But also could be just bad luck with my rolls...

Really need an confirmation from one of the devs...

Developers confirmed info provided by shroudb. Just search for it.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

i've tested this for days now and I really cannot see that my crit chance is different when I hit cursed and uncursed monsters in one cast.
My Ek either crits on all mobs it hits (cursed or not) or it doesnt crit at all.
"
azraelb wrote:
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

i've tested this for days now and I really cannot see that my crit chance is different when I hit cursed and uncursed monsters in one cast.
My Ek either crits on all mobs it hits (cursed or not) or it doesnt crit at all.

But if crit is determined per cast, that means that crit weakness doesnt increase chance to take crit at all.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
azraelb wrote:
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

But if crit is determined per cast, that means that crit weakness doesnt increase chance to take crit at all.

No, thats not what I meant.
I think your cast is calculated either for the first monster you hit or for the monster with the highest or lowest crit chance you hit.

1st example:
You hit a cursed monster first, so the crit is rolled with the increased crit chance of the curse and you crit all monsters you hit with your cast

2nd example:
You play in a party, some monsters are not cursed, some are cursed with lvl 5 critweakness and some are cused with a lvl 20 critweakness.
You hit uncursed, lvl 5 cursed and lvl 20 cursed monsters with one cast -> Crit is calculated for the highest chance (monster with lvl 20 curse) and you crit all monsters you hit with your cast

3rd example
Like example two but crit is calculated with the lowest chance and you crit all monsters you hit with your cast

4th example
like example two, but an average crit chance is calculated first and then the crit is rolled with that average chance and you crit all monsters you hit with your cast

In my experience it has to be one of the four examples...
"
azraelb wrote:

No, thats not what I meant.
I think your cast is calculated either for the first monster you hit or for the monster with the highest or lowest crit chance you hit.

1st example:
You hit a cursed monster first, so the crit is rolled with the increased crit chance of the curse and you crit all monsters you hit with your cast

2nd example:
You play in a party, some monsters are not cursed, some are cursed with lvl 5 critweakness and some are cused with a lvl 20 critweakness.
You hit uncursed, lvl 5 cursed and lvl 20 cursed monsters with one cast -> Crit is calculated for the highest chance (monster with lvl 20 curse) and you crit all monsters you hit with your cast

3rd example
Like example two but crit is calculated with the lowest chance and you crit all monsters you hit with your cast

4th example
like example two, but an average crit chance is calculated first and then the crit is rolled with that average chance and you crit all monsters you hit with your cast

In my experience it has to be one of the four examples...

as i said before:

you roll the crit only once, but that one roll is modified seperatly for each mob.

your empirical data that says it either crits for both cursed mobs and not cursed or doesn't crit for anyone may be flawed due to your crit chance and your perspective.

an easy way to test this is to use a very low crit chance character (5%) and a max lvl curse (+9%). The margin there is big enough to see the differance.

although, if you want to test it quick: equip incenerate and curse half a group of mobs. Incinerate has 0% crit chance. It will only crit on the cursed mobs.
"
shroudb wrote:
you don't roll against a specific creature, ever. not for hit not for crit etc.

think of it as in pen and paper games: you roll your attack, and THEN check the armor class of the monster:

in PoE version:

This is correct.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info