hmmm. some kind of intro/tutorial at the beginning would be nice...

^Damned that vaal oversoul :D

Kick ass!

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Alternalo wrote:
By saying intro i thought you meant a cinematics and not a tutorial :)
But for a real intro, i would love to see this ingame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWDd_HkulEg

Fixed the title to avoid further confusion.... o_O
oops
From the land of new zeal. Just here to stalk the forums.
A tutorial in PoE would be implemented easiest via a tutorial league that is the default league for new accounts. In this default league, the first zones have more scripted stuff like the zombie-eaten survivor and the starter gem, each with a few text popups pointing to the areas they talk about.

Concrete ideas of tut screens:

- When the game starts, a short overview of how to move, how to attack and so on with lines linking the explanations to the buttons on the skill setup.

- After killing the first zombie and looting the two items, explain how to get to the inventory and when on the inventory, give a quick overview of how it works and what the player is seeing there. Explain left/right-clicking for socketed gems.

- Let the player stumble through the starter area by himself. After the player reaches about the halfway point, explain potions and how they recharge and make it clear they should be used deliberately, but not wastefully.

- A screen away from hillock warn the player that there seems to be a big monster ahead and that he should perhaps conserve potions and be ready for a fight. Explain how bosses can be identified by their nameplates, that they often belong to quests and/or drop better loot and that they use much more complex and deadly abilities.

- After the first levelup, give an overview of what the skill wheel does. Do not go indepth, but make it clear how it works and that the player should pick one of the two starting nodes that fits his character for now.

- When entering town for the first time, have a screen explaining what this means. Explain the waypoint, that towns are safe havens, that there are vendors and your stash and that potions refill there, and that portal scrolls can bring you there from anywhere.

- The first time the player opens the stash or goes to a vendor, have a screen that explains a few things there, like ctrl-clicking stuff, tabs, currency system, a few tips on what to identify and what not, what to keep and what not.

- When the player turns in the Hillock quest, explain quests, rewards and perhaps difficulties. Explain how to reach the other skill gems and how they unlock/drop.

- After getting the first support gem, explain support gems and links.

- About that time, give a bit more indepth explanation of the skill wheel. Perhaps when reaching level 10. Give a one time automatic full skill point refund now that the player has a bit of an understanding of how to use it. Explain the keywords, ideally with examples, so the player knows which passives modify which abilities.

In addition to all that, have a menu button to re-read these help screens or at least something similar.
That would be really helpful. D:
This is a neat idea, Stormfox, however there's a drawback.
A seperate league would be empty. This is not bad for explaining stuff but you would have to delete this character and create a new one in the normal leagues. This is some serious interruption if you just got used to the game, get sucked deeper into wraeclast and... that's it, please start over.

I'd keep it very short. Until Lioneyes or the medicine chest. You could disable the passage to mud flats and let "The Storyteller" say something like:
Well done, Exile. Heed my advice and you may master the risks of Wraeclast. But be careful as there is a lot more knowledge to gain and a lot more threats to survive.
[start in regular league] (character selection)
[practise some more kill-the-crab]

Dynamit,
Architekturkritik, die man tatsächlich sieht!

Farin Urlaub
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nz5q9
That problem can easily remedied with existing tech.

When a hardcore character dies, he gets transferred to standard. Make the tutorial league work similarly. The moment you kill, lets say brutus and tag the next waypoint or something, you get transferred to standard. Ideally with the quest and waypoint structure intact, and of course with the usual stash transfer just like a league ending.
hmm, still hoping a staff member will comment on this eventually??
russian garena once more...

I don't understand a single word but this is definately some nice tutorial video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yh-5KCMTYA
Dynamit,
Architekturkritik, die man tatsächlich sieht!

Farin Urlaub
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nz5q9
"
Helvetica's basic point is sound and it's well past time that GGG did SOMETHING beyond a few token tooltips.

Yeah, it would be good to have more tutorial stuff. Don't think we'd have a video, though.

Bit of a necro, I guess.
Code warrior
welcome back, code warrior.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info