Why is GGG so against people getting level 100?

"
comradespike wrote:
The entire reason people love Diablo2 and it lasted so long was that they rushed through the boring 'content' often boosting and getting carried - to hit level cap ASAP. Then you have fun farming and turning your character into the most rediculously strong character you can. THAT is the entire concept of an ARPG that is beloved. What we get is a bastardized MMOishARPG which uses terrible RNG absolutely everywhere to PREVENT you from reaching the pinacle.

Now if they wanted true progression they would remove iLevel cap for maps (not for items) and have map level be based on iLevel. Then you would have one of the best ARPGs that ever existed. Testing your build in a level 175 map with white mobs that hit as hard as Vaal with 1 million HP would keep people playing literally FOREVER. (map drops would have to not suck of course) Why wont they? because it breaks the illusion of viabilty. People would quickly realize that 90% of the skills and builds are junk. We already see it how many builds get murdered in Act 4 Merciless.

tldr; PoE is not a Hardcore ARPG. Its a slot-machine parading as an MMO.

Not sure if you played D2 properly but there would be like 5 people actually level 100 in the entire ladder which where bots who did baal runs 24/7 with 5 other bots.

Also the true progression is false. D3 has nearly infinite "progression" (1000 levels over the cap, infinte scaling "maps" ect). People still complain about end-game, technically the only way to play ARPGs is to reroll every 4 months and play most combinations until they run out.
"
tinko92 wrote:
Oh look, same old people that don't have high level characters are being ignorant, as always.

Actually... I see you have a completely stripped level 98 character. I'd be very interested in knowing why you didn't feel it worth making the final push with the finish line so near.

As for myself, I've had a few mid-80's characters and one at level 90. I've played some level 78 maps but mostly was grinding level 75-76 maps because that was what I was able to sustain without depleting all of my currency on map rolling.

And to everyone saying why obsess over level 100 I wouldn't say it's an obsession at all, but a clearly laid out finish line if you can make it that far. Of course it needs to be a challenge or the game will get boring. But over leveling your map pool and bashing through the same low maps 1000 times doesn't feel particularly rewarding to me.
I only appreciate people reaching level 100 becuase it's "hard". I tend to rip on my chars around 92-94 sometimes earlier, but I give big probs to the people reaching 100.

I say "hard" because in reality it's not even that hard for half of the game - Highly time consuming/requiring and takes some skills but it's definitely doable on SC.
Meh, just remove XP penalty on death and everyone will be level 100 in no time.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
"
tinko92 wrote:
Oh look, same old people that don't have high level characters are being ignorant, as always.

Actually... I see you have a completely stripped level 98 character. I'd be very interested in knowing why you didn't feel it worth making the final push with the finish line so near.

As for myself, I've had a few mid-80's characters and one at level 90. I've played some level 78 maps but mostly was grinding level 75-76 maps because that was what I was able to sustain without depleting all of my currency on map rolling.

And to everyone saying why obsess over level 100 I wouldn't say it's an obsession at all, but a clearly laid out finish line if you can make it that far. Of course it needs to be a challenge or the game will get boring. But over leveling your map pool and bashing through the same low maps 1000 times doesn't feel particularly rewarding to me.

98 isnt particularly close to 100. the leveling curve isnt linear.
"
"
tinko92 wrote:

Mainly FPS issues that arrived in some of the patches back then. And of course, pay to level, I had to flip items to be able to play high level maps. It all accumulated.

But I don't see how is that relevant to my comment and what's going on in this thread. Specifically with the "re-rollers" being ignorant and fail to see how not everyone likes what they like, elementary school thinking.
"
tinko92 wrote:

But I don't see how is that relevant to my comment and what's going on in this thread. Specifically with the "re-rollers" being ignorant and fail to see how not everyone likes what they like, elementary school thinking.
exactly the same applies to the other side
just because someone likes to try and to push to hard cap doesnt mean they should. and it doesnt mean anyone else should share their views.

any time the argument bogs down to 'but I wanna', it's exactly that- elementary school thinking and reeks of terrible self-entitlement

oh and pay to win != spending currency on maps

at least try to get your terms up

farming currency and items isnt 'paying'. its playing the game. so is spending currency and items you've converted to maps. its all in the game yo
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Just cycloned into a pack of dogs in a Tora mission. They were corrupted by a tormented spirit. My ES dropped instantly when I hit them so I quickly exited the game with about 10% ES left. Logged back in and found 10% exp gone. This makes it my 3rd stupid death during lvl99.

- 1st death. Still don't know what happened. I opened up a strongbox with "summon skeletons" mod. Think they trapped me combined with desync in a ring and I couldn't attack or move. 10% exp gone. I uninstalled immediately and quit the game for over month in frustration.

- 2nd death. After 2.0, game crashed just as I entered the Necropolis boss chamber. Full ES and not engaged in battle. Log back in to find 10% exp gone.

- 3rd death. Just now. Almost instant death against some Tora blue pack that was tormented. It seemed like reflect but reflect does nothing to me. So don't know what happened.

Three stupid deaths whilst the other 99.999% of the time I'm facerolling content. Why should I continue trying to get to lvl100 when stupid things like this keep knocking me down. Quitting for a while again. Don't see the point in spending hours when it's wasted due to stupid things. I don't mind legit deaths. The only way to stop the above deaths would be to not play.

ES char has by far the shittiest defense, I mitigate as much as I can and then you have to be extremely careful and play like HC mentality in high level maps now to avoid insta RIP.
Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist
"
tinko92 wrote:
...But I don't see how is that relevant to my comment and what's going on in this thread.

Sure it is. Why people stop short of 100 is as important as the fact that they do. My feeling is that if GGG would make reaching the level cap equal to about what it currently takes to make 95, people would tend to play their characters LONGER rather than typically abandoning them somewhere between 80 and 90. While that may diminish that accomplishment for a very few people, it would become a realistic goal for the general population to set their sights on and probably to attain several times with different characters. God forbid we should have anything resembling fun in PoE.

"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Almost instant death against some Tora blue pack that was tormented. It seemed like reflect but reflect does nothing to me. So don't know what happened.

Of course. Because GGG's RNG believes that even the most powerful characters possessing the strength and coordination, as well as the equipment, to dominate the top bosses in the game might still die by tripping over their own shoelaces. Looks like another case of ludicrous randomness.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info