Why is GGG so against people getting level 100?

Since a (very few) players get to L100 faster than GGG wants.... ALL players must of cause be punished with un-fun balancing!!!

Why not just multiply XP at levels like this:
L91: x2
L92: x4
L93: x8
...and so on until...
L100: x100 (with however many extra '0's is needed added)...
"
Auxion wrote:
"
Demonoz wrote:
I think its funny as hell myself.... considering the #1 in Tempest is on pace to hit 100 faster than anyone else.. about 3 Weeks! In HC! I mean.. Now what?

Of course HC beats SC, as they're not corpse hopping their way through the game.

Thats not the point the point is the map change did NOTHING for what it was intended for... it only hurts everyone else!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Look guys seems to me they listen a minority on reddit thinking map drops are too high, monsters should have more life and stuff like melee ice-crash or cyclone should be nerfed but not ts.

They see etup, hvr names on top ladder without looking their stream and how they trade for free items and maps, sell over prices items cause they are streamers.

So, you read names get level 100, some getting carried, you don t see their infinite currency to roll maps and boxes, their guild only made to make them win ladder, free trade and bosses bro deal and think let s nerf maps its too easy.

Are they really playing level 90 + for some weeks solo and see if this is ok? I don t think so, I think they just look numbers and graph instead.

Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Jul 23, 2015, 8:17:36 AM
 GGG has never had an endgame to PoE and The Awakening does not have one either. This has been a failure of GGG forever and I've posted several times about this as being a huge problem. So what does GGG do about it? Nothing so far. In fact GGG did just the opposite. I can imagine the PoE founders sitting in a meeting and saying things like "since we still don't have a (real) endgame for PoE we need to make it exponentially harder to reach level 100" or "our statistics show that hundreds of players are getting to level 100 in every temp league so we must nerf xp or high level drop rates to stop this". Never mind the fact that with millions of accounts and let's say for discussion sake, a million active players that if 1000 can get a build to level 100 in a 3 month (or so) league that it only amounts to 0.10% of the player base. My god GGG!... you are willing to turn your backs on 99.90% of the players. And many, many (such as myself) are loyal players and have been here since the pre-1.0 PoE (the real CB times). So GGG nerfs higher level map drop rates, makes the lower level maps harder (more damn power creep) and thinks that it's all good. We should see fewer level 100 builds now. Well, with 255 Tempest builds in the 90s (some are dead) and top player closing in on level 100 in less than 2 weeks, GGG hasn't stopped the no-lifers from level 100. All GGG has done is piss off the rest of the 99% of players that choose to play (many solo) and now can't use millions of builds anymore because the PoE 2.0 monster damage now (more power creep) makes all these "fun to play" builds unplayable.

What really needs to happen with PoE is for GGG to stop viewing level 100 as a goal to prevent at all costs and do a 180º in their thinking and make level 100 achievable with some kind of cinematic ending (D3 style ending maybe) with our exile being freed and sailing away from Wraeclast back to Oriath as a free person. Then place that build on a level 100 retired ladder for all to see and have links to the gear and passive tree so all us lesser skilled players can see it and learn from it for more ways to improve our own builds and giving us new brain storming ideas for our next new build. For me the best of PoE is when I see other viable builds and can theory craft how my next build will be better than my current build. Also, with a dozen and a half existing builds that must be respect'd I could examine other builds first and come up with a better build with all my Standard League unique gear I now have. The daily map grind is not where most of the fun of PoE lies (masochists need not respond as I know they love grinding forever). It lies in the wonderful open sandbox of a bazillion ways to make a build. To slam the door on build diversity with huge increases to damage and one-shot deaths and remove millions of builds that were viable and fun to play in PoE 1.3.x, all in the name of making act 4 "harder" than previous acts, just to satisfy the no-lifer elite players, that is just so wrong.

If GGG persists in this direction then I personally won't be around to see act 5. Life is way too short to throw 1000s of hours into PoE and watch GGG remove the fun all in the almighty name of their (mis-)perception of hardcore. GGG needs to take a step or two back and re-examine what most of us who love to play PoE (at least used to) want most from this arpg.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jul 23, 2015, 8:28:46 AM
You're really asking "why do we have a soft cap, rather than a hard one?"

Gems have a hard cap. Level 20. It's expected that you'll get your gems to level 20.

Character levels have a soft cap. It's not expected that you'll get your characters to 100.

With a hard cap of 100, everyone would be expected to reach level 100 and the game would have to be balanced based on the players getting there. You wouldn't have the chance to improve, or beat that assumption. Players would simply be expected to all be the same.

With a soft cap, players decide for themselves when to quit. They can surpass that soft cap and become better than expected if they choose to grind it out. There's motivation to continue play after reaching it, but it's not required to complete the game.

Each player defines their own soft cap, but I place mine at n+10 where n is the highest level of content. Since players are saying that level 75 seems to be the point where maps aren't sustainable, I'd place my soft cap at 85. Anything I did past level 85 would feel kind of pointless to me.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jul 23, 2015, 8:29:17 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Gems have a hard cap. Level 20. It's expected that you'll get your gems to level 20.

Character levels have a soft cap. It's not expected that you'll get your characters to 100.

With a hard cap of 100, everyone would be expected to reach level 100 and the game would have to be balanced based on the players getting there. You wouldn't have the chance to improve, or beat that assumption. Players would simply be expected to all be the same.

With a soft cap, players decide for themselves when to quit. They can surpass that soft cap and become better than expected if they choose to grind it out. There's motivation to continue play after reaching it, but it's not required to complete the game.

Each player defines their own soft cap, but I place mine at n+10 where n is the highest level of content. Since players are saying that level 75 seems to be the point where maps aren't sustainable, I'd place my soft cap at 85. Anything I did past level 85 would feel kind of pointless to me.

There is not much difference in power between a level 95 and a level 100.

Also the game is already balanced with people getting level 90-100.

All those monsters hp raise in merciless, legacy unique level 70+ nerfed, master nerf and all.

This is pointing in the direction GGG is "balancing" thinking the game is too easy for 90+. It is weird since their maps only goes to 81 and merciless 70.

Imagine if A5 got level 90 maps? don t think 1% of level 100 will be able to clear them because GGG would have balanced everything thinking players are too strong.

I don't mind POE to be hard, but it should be because of cleaver things, not stupid 1 shot 50k life monsters.

IF only they did not create those stupid AOE skills maybe the game would not look that easy even for 90+ players.

Forum pvp
We're not playing the game you've made, we're playing the game called PoE. If you think your game would be better, make it.
If all of you hit level 100 within 2-3 weeks of no lifting (but not as bad as the ones that already hit level 100) you would be complaining there is no end game and there's nothing to do in the game anyway.

Sadly to make PoE work you have to be roll alt type of person and have multiple characters within a league. Unfortunately at some point there aren't enough characters (Types of characters to play that are different) for you to roll every new league if you actually do that.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jul 23, 2015, 9:04:42 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

So you say that GGG deliberately places a cap on playing a build to level 100? I know most (and me) used to view that as level 80. So I should play a build to level 80, consider it finished, and then start over with a new build. Ok, so GGG wants most of us all to view a lower level as the end of playing that build. That may be a "good intension" and a lofty idea in the devs minds but reality is such that most humans (me too) want concrete goals to achieve in all the games we play. So I see level 100 as the goal as it is the highest level in PoE. When a hard goal is reached then there is usually a great feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction knowing that the top level of the game has been reached. Making us have to settle for a lower level as the end of playing a build, the "softcap" level (whatever that is now) leaves me very unsatisfied and feels incomplete. It also leads to frustration which is never a good thing for a game to have in knowing that level 100 is never ever achievable by me and my lesser time and playing skills. If GGG doesn't want us to play a build to the level 100 hard cap then GGG should have been real visionaries and moved the goal posts to 666 or 1000 so a no-lifer player can play a build forever to their hearts content.

What GGG should have done is make level 100 achievable for most and then have added post end game content. Would have been much more satisfying to have a build at level 100 at the end of killing the Merciless final act boss and then make maps be for anyone wanting to go beyond level 100 builds. Then we get the satisfaction of having reached that level and it would make it a whole lot easier to view playing maps with the focus on seeing how far a build can be pushed rather than viewing maps as a necessity just to get to level 100. The other major benefit of shifting the end of Merciless act 4 to level 100 is that we would have 32 more skill points and thus our build diversity would be greatly increased and this would eliminate a ton of problems (and negative posts) about the act 4 content difficulty being over-tuned.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Arrowneous wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

So you say that GGG deliberately places a cap on playing a build to level 100? I know most (and me) used to view that as level 80. So I should play a build to level 80, consider it finished, and then start over with a new build. Ok, so GGG wants most of us all to view a lower level as the end of playing that build. That may be a "good intension" and a lofty idea in the devs minds but reality is such that most humans (me too) want concrete goals to achieve in all the games we play. So I see level 100 as the goal as it is the highest level in PoE. When a hard goal is reached then there is usually a great feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction knowing that the top level of the game has been reached. Making us have to settle for a lower level as the end of playing a build, the "softcap" level (whatever that is now) leaves me very unsatisfied and feels incomplete. It also leads to frustration which is never a good thing for a game to have in knowing that level 100 is never ever achievable by me and my lesser time and playing skills. If GGG doesn't want us to play a build to the level 100 hard cap then GGG should have been real visionaries and moved the goal posts to 666 or 1000 so a no-lifer player can play a build forever to their hearts content.

What GGG should have done is make level 100 achievable for most and then have added post end game content. Would have been much more satisfying to have a build at level 100 at the end of killing the Merciless final act boss and then make maps be for anyone wanting to go beyond level 100 builds. Then we get the satisfaction of having reached that level and it would make it a whole lot easier to view playing maps with the focus on seeing how far a build can be pushed rather than viewing maps as a necessity just to get to level 100. The other major benefit of shifting the end of Merciless act 4 to level 100 is that we would have 32 more skill points and thus our build diversity would be greatly increased and this would eliminate a ton of problems (and negative posts) about the act 4 content difficulty being over-tuned.

I very much prefer a soft-cap. In fact I would really like it, if there were no hard level cap at all. Rather I would like to see an exponential increase in XP needed for the next level. That way you can spend forever increasing the power of your character.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info