how the f*** to sustain boss fights/single target as shadow?

Show us your gears.
You're not supposed to. You're supposed to portal out to refill flasks every 20-30 secs. Now THAT is what I call a hardcore experience.
"
Deadpeng wrote:
Show us your gears.

I'm curious too.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
You can see his gear by clicking his name then going to his character tab.

In a general sense I think charge on crit flasks are supposed to be part of the solution for shadows. Won't help you much though. Interesting build...
When I kill a man he stays dead.
Last edited by mucker on Jul 22, 2015, 10:55:53 AM
for super fast attack builds:
The Hyperbomber for 2.6: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1879383
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Z_Fighters wrote:
I'm playing LS as pure range ability hence only projectile nodes. and I have 1% life regen from heart of oak what is not even noticable so I took vaal pact which makes life leech a ton more powerful as it wont suffer from the leech per second new mechanics, problem is there's just not enough of it.

yes I am going life/es hybrid atm 3.2khp and 700 es with discipline. using ghost reaver to sustain my ES to prevent chunk burst damage one shotting me also I am specced into pot's for my HP pool. I made the decision to go Life/es hybrid as it was the only way I could see my self getting a decent effective hp pool I want at least 7k and knew i'd not achieve much more then 5k hp from going into duelist (it was either duelist life pool or scion, duelist was more powerful per point investment), so that is why I didn't go further into duelist. I am just staring to spec into ES and have a lot more to get.

yeah my build is a bit odd, wanted to try something ...odd as it was the only reason I was going to play PoE again. my dps is carried from a 2hander. LS 150% base damage is huge dps with a 2hander and LS allows me to use multi strike for a range attack which greatly takes care of attack speed and the draw back of using a 2hander, they are generally slow. I have much more dps then I would as a duel wield melee with any skill - with the amount of talent point investment into dps that I have (not sure about caster though tbh )

I have no problem sustaining a 5L of mana and abyssal cry.
against packs of mobs I can leech all day.

1v1 fights just feel shit

but I'm talking about the fundamental mechanics, which is all the same for the right side of the tree.

single target sustain..is really difficult to pull off. especially with the right hand side of the tree defenses been so much weaker

fair play, I dont agree with puppies I thinik hybrid is absolutely a thing and can work really well, I have hybrid characters and theyre great. You do need a way to sustain that es though, ghost reaver is pretty much essential. I feel like maybe tho you went ghost reaver a little early perhaps? If I were doing it I would be tempted to spec and gear 100% life based until I had some sort of 450 evasion, 450 es, 100 life endgame chest and maybe some kind of nice es hat, I guess a vertex is probably out of the picture for tempest league but something along those lines, a high end mask with a good 200+ es and maybe life too.

If warlords is working for you then keep doing it I guess. An option there is to leech to es with warlords and then swap out your LL gem for LoH so that you are refilling both pools from attacking, that might take pressure off your pots a bit with no regen and no leech to actually gain back life when you lose it, forces you to pot for even small bits of damage.

When I go hybrid its always with a shield, thats one thing Id say, usually an aegis but maybe with a 350+ es with 90+ life rare shield, without the shield ur gonna need a pretty decent evasion + es hybrid chest and hat but hopefully that all works out.

that LoH idea is awesome, definitely going to give it ago. thanks.

and yes I also plan on rolling crit and surgeons, but it takes quite a lot to get crit working so il put it off till later.

Life gain on hit, acutally putting effort into getting life leech (apparently putting in 2 skill points for life drinker was the tactical build decision level change accepting for most people) in gear, or god forbid not having max dps to have a life leech gem in your gear.
"
Snorkle making something work and that thing actually being good are 2 different things. Like all choices there is an opportunity cost. I don't see a single situation in which hybrid is better than a different defensive set up.

Are you saying hybrid can handle hits the same way a pledge of hands, lightning coil, taste of hate, MoM, acrobatics character could? How about a low life ES with ghost reaver and zealots oath? What about even a janky ass new EB character? (I set one up for my gf that got hatred, grace, herald of ash, and AA with exactly zero mana remaining). What about a standard life and armour character who uses fortify and endurance charges?

Even CI, which I hear is hurting badly, has to be stronger than hybrid.

With hybrid you have to split regen and leech into two separate pools. That is a downside that it only shares with EB, and while EB gives you extra auras as compensation hybrid gives nothing. You may claim you get an extra large effective life pool, but any MoM or ES build can get around the same, without the downside I mentioned.

Hybrid is bad.

no its fine, its as good as many other setups. Has up sides and down sides, what you mentioned as a downside isnt even a serious downside. Its better than mom eb because you can recharge es while still using mana. It has benefits over ci in terms of being able to life pot 5k+ of your 10k+ life pool back, ci has benefits over hybrid too. Low life you can have more auras but cant get the same size life pool. Life builds with coils and armour etc are just different builds, more mitigation, less life pool, its just a different thing. You cant make a good armour char as a shadow because you cant get the endurance charges etc, theres no point even comparing characters like that because its not an option to go one or the other, tree placement dictates what ur options are.

Ci is fine too.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Snorkle making something work and that thing actually being good are 2 different things. Like all choices there is an opportunity cost. I don't see a single situation in which hybrid is better than a different defensive set up.

Are you saying hybrid can handle hits the same way a pledge of hands, lightning coil, taste of hate, MoM, acrobatics character could? How about a low life ES with ghost reaver and zealots oath? What about even a janky ass new EB character? (I set one up for my gf that got hatred, grace, herald of ash, and AA with exactly zero mana remaining). What about a standard life and armour character who uses fortify and endurance charges?

With hybrid you have to split regen and leech into two separate pools. That is a downside that it only shares with EB, and while EB gives you extra auras as compensation hybrid gives nothing. You may claim you get an extra large effective life pool, but any MoM or ES build can get around the same, without the downside I mentioned.

Hybrid is bad.

no its fine, its as good as many other setups. Has up sides and down sides, what you mentioned as a downside isnt even a serious downside. Its better than mom eb because you can recharge es while still using mana. It has benefits over ci in terms of being able to life pot 5k+ of your 10k+ life pool back, ci has benefits over hybrid too. Low life you can have more auras but cant get the same size life pool. Life builds with coils and armour etc are just different builds, more mitigation, less life pool, its just a different thing. You cant make a good armour char as a shadow because you cant get the endurance charges etc, theres no point even comparing characters like that because its not an option to go one or the other, tree placement dictates what ur options are.

Ci is fine too.

<3 perfectly summed up. I like you.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"

Hybrid is bad.

Ci is fine too.

It isn't fine though. It is the weakest defensive option in the game, and has been since GGG tried to make it a thing a few patches ago. Glad you can enjoy it though. I prefer playing strong set ups.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info