how the f*** to sustain boss fights/single target as shadow?

Double strike
Melee physical damage
Life leech
Mana leech
(5 link) faster attacks
(6 link) multistrike

Fall asleep beating down almost anything melee oriented in a 1v1 scenario.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
Your problem is you are trying to run hybrid. Hybrid is trash and will always be trash. Maybe try a defensive set up that is actually viable?

EDIT: Also leech is still viable without vaal pack vs single target if both the leech clusters at the south of the tree are picked up. From my understanding they raise max leech per target from 2% to 15%.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Last edited by Fluffy_Puppies on Jul 22, 2015, 9:27:56 AM
"
Your problem is you are trying to run hybrid. Hybrid is trash and will always be trash. Maybe try a defensive set up that is actually viable?

EDIT: Also leech is still viable without vaal pack vs single target if both the leech clusters at the south of the tree are picked up. From my understanding they raise max leech per target from 2% to 15%.

It's a little bit more complicated than that:

Increased leech per second - flat multiplier to your baseline 2% leech. Get 100% (basically full south-end tree investment) and you're leeching for 4% each hit.

Word salad leech from to within max life stuff nipple salad - This adds to your total leech per second cap. It starts at 20%, and with full south-tree investment, you can pick up an additional 13% for a total of 33%.

So with full tree investment, you get around 3.4% leech from physical, each hit leeches at a rate of 4% of your max life/second, and it caps out at 33% of your max life per second, or after around 9 hits. It works pretty well for my build, but it's obviously a lot of investment and the leech from the tree only scales off physical damage so it's not for everyone.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
"
Z_Fighters wrote:
I'm playing LS as pure range ability hence only projectile nodes. and I have 1% life regen from heart of oak what is not even noticable so I took vaal pact which makes life leech a ton more powerful as it wont suffer from the leech per second new mechanics, problem is there's just not enough of it.

yes I am going life/es hybrid atm 3.2khp and 700 es with discipline. using ghost reaver to sustain my ES to prevent chunk burst damage one shotting me also I am specced into pot's for my HP pool. I made the decision to go Life/es hybrid as it was the only way I could see my self getting a decent effective hp pool I want at least 7k and knew i'd not achieve much more then 5k hp from going into duelist (it was either duelist life pool or scion, duelist was more powerful per point investment), so that is why I didn't go further into duelist. I am just staring to spec into ES and have a lot more to get.

yeah my build is a bit odd, wanted to try something ...odd as it was the only reason I was going to play PoE again. my dps is carried from a 2hander. LS 150% base damage is huge dps with a 2hander and LS allows me to use multi strike for a range attack which greatly takes care of attack speed and the draw back of using a 2hander, they are generally slow. I have much more dps then I would as a duel wield melee with any skill - with the amount of talent point investment into dps that I have (not sure about caster though tbh )

I have no problem sustaining a 5L of mana and abyssal cry.
against packs of mobs I can leech all day.

1v1 fights just feel shit

but I'm talking about the fundamental mechanics, which is all the same for the right side of the tree.

single target sustain..is really difficult to pull off. especially with the right hand side of the tree defenses been so much weaker

fair play, I dont agree with puppies I thinik hybrid is absolutely a thing and can work really well, I have hybrid characters and theyre great. You do need a way to sustain that es though, ghost reaver is pretty much essential. I feel like maybe tho you went ghost reaver a little early perhaps? If I were doing it I would be tempted to spec and gear 100% life based until I had some sort of 450 evasion, 450 es, 100 life endgame chest and maybe some kind of nice es hat, I guess a vertex is probably out of the picture for tempest league but something along those lines, a high end mask with a good 200+ es and maybe life too.

If warlords is working for you then keep doing it I guess. An option there is to leech to es with warlords and then swap out your LL gem for LoH so that you are refilling both pools from attacking, that might take pressure off your pots a bit with no regen and no leech to actually gain back life when you lose it, forces you to pot for even small bits of damage.

When I go hybrid its always with a shield, thats one thing Id say, usually an aegis but maybe with a 350+ es with 90+ life rare shield, without the shield ur gonna need a pretty decent evasion + es hybrid chest and hat but hopefully that all works out.
"
gilrad wrote:
"

It's a little bit more complicated than that:

Increased leech per second - flat multiplier to your baseline 2% leech. Get 100% (basically full south-end tree investment) and you're leeching for 4% each hit.

Word salad leech from to within max life stuff nipple salad - This adds to your total leech per second cap. It starts at 20%, and with full south-tree investment, you can pick up an additional 13% for a total of 33%.

So with full tree investment, you get around 3.4% leech from physical, each hit leeches at a rate of 4% of your max life/second, and it caps out at 33% of your max life per second, or after around 9 hits. It works pretty well for my build, but it's obviously a lot of investment and the leech from the tree only scales off physical damage so it's not for everyone.

ya, thing is hes ghost reaver too with 700 es so really, he needs vp because his max es is pretty tiny. Essentially turning it into LoH where theres no rates based on max pool size is the only way leeching to 700 es is going to be effective.
"
"
Double strike
Melee physical damage
Life leech
Mana leech
(5 link) faster attacks
(6 link) multistrike

Fall asleep beating down almost anything melee oriented in a 1v1 scenario.

That doesn't work without melee/sword nodes, and apparently OP's gone for Eastern projectile damage nodes to pump the Lightning Strike as a purely ranged skill. Very odd, very unusual, very interesting.

It would be fine. I have built plenty of toons over the years that never had a single node invested in damage. It might just take longer than most are used to killing things.

I'm trying to offer a solution to Op's problem without changing gear or reformatting his tree.

If you're worried about his dps, then rallying cry and hatred should solve it.

This is where i wish my computer could handle recording my gameplay.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
Snorkle making something work and that thing actually being good are 2 different things. Like all choices there is an opportunity cost. I don't see a single situation in which hybrid is better than a different defensive set up.

Are you saying hybrid can handle hits the same way a pledge of hands, lightning coil, taste of hate, MoM, acrobatics character could? How about a low life ES with ghost reaver and zealots oath? What about even a janky ass new EB character? (I set one up for my gf that got hatred, grace, herald of ash, and AA with exactly zero mana remaining). What about a standard life and armour character who uses fortify and endurance charges?

Even CI, which I hear is hurting badly, has to be stronger than hybrid.

With hybrid you have to split regen and leech into two separate pools. That is a downside that it only shares with EB, and while EB gives you extra auras as compensation hybrid gives nothing. You may claim you get an extra large effective life pool, but any MoM or ES build can get around the same, without the downside I mentioned.

Hybrid is bad.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Last edited by Fluffy_Puppies on Jul 22, 2015, 10:04:58 AM
Pretty sure this is exactly what they intended. You have to really commit to leech if you want it to be as effective as it was. That means giving up some offense.

Trade-offs are good for the game. That means that everyone wont be doing leech.
My summoner guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1765329
My shop thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1748967
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
Z_Fighters wrote:
yeah, so how the fuck do they expect the right hand side of the tree to sustain in 1v1 combat. the left hand side looks so op now with its huge hp pools and massive amounts of life regen...it's honestly bullshit.

Claws. I guess.

that's why there are so many new unique claws :-)
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info