[2.1] The FlameCoC Barrage Wander

Disclaimer: this build is not recommended for weak PCs due to the amount of projectiles it produces.

This particular variation is aimed to excel at clearing maps.
Atziri should be doable too, but have not been tested yet so I can't say anything about that.

This build can be operated on a very low budget if needed, as most of its gear is really cheap, with the exception of any 6L, which can still be cheap if you get Tabula / a corrupted one / random one and chaos roll it, which is actually what I did myself

I focus on using fire skills, namely Fireball and Firesorm / Magma Orb.
It is just so satisfying to fill the screen with fire and very fun to play ;)

[2.1] Fireball + Firestorm (T11 Crematorium)
[2.0] Magma Orb + Fireball
[2.0] Magma Orb + Firestorm

Pros & Cons

Pros

- ranged build, no melee-only shenanigans like getting hit for 8k damage by Volatile Blood explosion from Nemesis rare, or getting caught in the middle of 10 ground bombs left by Bloodlines Mobs
- shocks most targets except map bosses / ele resistant rares
- doesn't need any mana at all, which makes gearing easier and frees passive tree points
- can reserve 100% mana due to EB
- Chain+GMP provide great distribution of damage between enemies for Fireball, and massive area coverage for Magma Orb
- can do most map mods, just depending on their rippiness. Can run Blood Magic and No Regen for example.
- single rare reflect is not dangerous due to VP. Unless you are in a curse immune map.
Cons

- with heavily condensed enemy groups can cause a significant lag. Can even disconnect other players or you in some cases, like if someone decides to use Vaal Cyclone.
- dodge/evasion-based defense. This means a problem with high phys hits that can potentially oneshot you and require manual dodging.
- not doing that great vs melee enemies that try to get close, requires hasty skele brotem deployment and evasive manoeuvres

Build Mechanics

Main attack skill is Barrage, which is used to trigger other linked spells using Cast on Crit gem.
GMP and Chain support both Barrage and Fireball / Magma Orb. Unfortunately, they don't support Firestorm, however Firestorm's stacking capabilities are superior for taking out single targets.
Fireball and Barrage are further enhanced by unique jewels, one of which gives Barrage additional projectiles, and another one increases Fireball's detonation radius the further it travels.

Chain affects both Fireball and Magma Orb, but in different ways.
Chained fireballs will just autotarget to other nearby enemies after the first hit, while Magma Orb gains an additional number of bounces instead, which greatly increases its range, so it is able to hit a lot more enemies along its path.

Skill manacost is covered entirely by taking Eldritch Battery keystone and using one +3 ES gained on hit Cobalt jewel.

Defences consist of Evasion (optional if using Grace), Acrobatics and Spell Acrobatics. Dodge / spell dodge can be further increased by Atziri boots and Hyyri's Ire if desired.
Build also can use 3 Endurance charges and CwDT-IC setup. Charges are replenished by Warlord's mark curse.
It is possible to gain quite solid % phys dmg reduction too, but more on that later.
The most important thing however is just manually dodging attacks.
Build is ranged, and this advantage should be utilised to the max.

Main links:
6L: Barrage - CoC - GMP - Fireball - (5L) Firestorm / Magma Orb - (6L) Chain
I don't recommend 4L for this, as you can just get a Tabula instead, or a white 5L for a chaos or two.

4L: CwDT (req. lvl 42) - GMP - Arctic Breath - Warlord's Mark
4L (alt): CwDT (req. lvl 42) - GMP - Arctic Breath - Flame Dash

4L: HoT - CoH - Assmark - Warlords

4L: CwDT - Inc Duration - IC - Vaal Grace
3R1G is hard to chrome on pure DEX base, so until then use an alternative layout
4L(alt): CwDT + aura + Ice Golem + Warlords

Additional links:
3L: aura + Ice Golem + Flame Dash
3L(alt): CwDT (req. lvl 42) + Inc Duration + IC (Shield)

3L: Spell Totem - Faster Casting - Summon Skeletons

1L (Unset Ring): aura of choice

Auras
There are many combinations which you can run, all personal preference.
Herald of Thunder is mandatory though, for auto-dual-cursing.

1) HoT + AA + Grace - high Evasion, better phys dmg defense.
2) HoT + HoI + Grace - high Evasion, better dps
3) HoT + PoF + PoL - better ele damage defense. This is the setup for Atziri.
4) HoT + PoF / PoL + AA - better phys / fire dmg mitigation, combine with RoTP for Crematorium boss
5) HoT + HoI + Anger - maximum dps

To easily switch between auras as needed use an Unset Ring.

Anger added about 14% overall dps for me. Not worth it when you take into account other available options.
Haste - couldn't notice any difference in clearspeed. Not worth it.

Helm - The Three Dragons - allows to shock with fire damage
Gloves - Maligaro's Virtuosity
Belt - rare leather belt with STR and max life rolls.
Body - lots of options:
rare EV/ES
Hyrri's Ire - if using Grace, for stacking Evasion/dodge
Average colouring cost for 5L: 154 chromes, 6L: 116 chromes.
Carcass Jack - life, res, dmg, AoE - now even more desirable since the tree has less Increased AoE on nodes
Belly of the Beast - 40% increased max life, some resists
Average colouring cost for 5L: 283 chromes, 6L: 381 chromes. Only go for 6L.
Tabula - budget 6L
Atziri's Splendour (EV or combined with EV) - meh, doesn't really add much in boss battles as some bosses don't have adds
Voll's Protector - what most people use, it gives literally no defense, but it will allow you to retain power charges when fighting bosses.
I do not recommend using this armour, because staying alive is much more important than having constant charges, and Voll's doesn't help at all with this.
Average colouring cost for 5L: 73 chromes, 6L: 287 chromes.

Phys dmg mitigation options:
Lightning Coil - the best physical mitigation you will ever get (especially legacy one!) when combined with Purity of Lightning. Even better when used with AA. However it is hard to chrome, requires 3 off colours on both 5L or 6L.
Average colouring cost for 5L: 438 chromes, 6L: 575 chromes. Only go for 6L.
Cloak of Flame - less phys mitigation than Coil, but doesn't have huge negative resist penalty. Use with Purity of Fire and AA. Much, much easier to chrome compared to Coil.
Average colouring cost for 5L: 13 chromes, 6L: 45 chromes.

Boots - Atziri's Step - gives spell dodge and high evasion.
Jewelry - all rares - hp, res, accuracy, crit multi on amulet.
Optimal rings are Diamond (crit) and Unset (gem slot)
Shield - Saffel's Frame. Raises max ele resistances.
An alternative to better defend against phys attacks would be 1300+ Evasion shield with high life roll.
For Crematorium boss use Rise of the Phoenix
Weapon - rare wand withh 11+% base crit.
Mandatory roll - increased critical strike chance.
Useful rolls:
spell damage
spell crit multi
spell crit chance
accuracy
attack speed
+X to fire spell damage

A decent wand with 11+ crit chance and some spell crit chance can be bought for 10c or less.
I do not recommend Imbued ones, since attack speed doesn't really add much due to CoC cooldown, but you will get much lower crit chance, which would be a problem.

Jewels
1 x Rolling Flames - in central Witch socket
2 x Volley Fire - first is left of Vaal Pact and second one is near Heartseeker.
2 x rare ones with Increased Max Life, maybe some resists you are missing, and damage/crit mult increases. One of these must have +3 Energy Shield gained on hit.
Check the tooltips when hovering over unique jewels to ensure that they are actually active.

[2.1] My Gear

Leveling

20 pts - Get Soul Siphon to help with mana sustainability. Use Flame Totem + whatever main spell you want
40 pts - get life in Shadow area next to crit node cluster, then move up towards EB and wand nodes
60 pts - get the wand nodes + power charges. At this point you can level as a hybrid or elemental wander (KB-LMP-WED-PPAD / FA), get a wand with as high crit chance as you can. Link Herald of Thunder to Curse on Hit - Assassin's Mark for charges, or use Voll's Protector chest, in which case use Warlord's mark curse instead. If you have alts, try to roll +2/3 ES gained on hit Cobalt jewel, and if you succeed, take one jewel slot in Witch area.
80 pts - Unspec Soul Siphon, get dual-curse nodes (Warlord's and Assassin's mark, both linked to HoT-CoH), then Phase Acro and move further down to get crit + hp nodes. At this point you should already have Three Dragons helm and Maligaro's Virtuosity gloves. If you get a 5L armour (or Tabula), which shouldn't be difficult, switch to CoC setup.

After that grab some more life (Herbalism), get remaining jewel sockets (socket either +es gained on hit or +6-7% to max life), and if you have Blood Dance - get Frenzy charges.
[2.1] Shadow 115pt

My current tree

Bandits

Norm - Oak
Cruel - Krait
Merc - Alira

Map mods and adjustments

Curse Immunity - extremely annoying, I advise to reroll/skip. You don't have life leech here, so you will die to ele reflect unless you use LL gem, which is not possible without recolouring body armour.
Blood Magic - doable, curse with Warlord's manually, slot in PCoC gem instead of Firestorm/Magma Orb.
- max - beware of rare ele reflects. I recommend running RoTP + PoF for these maps
ele weakness - run Purity of Elements instead of Grace
No Regen - has no effect on you at all. You already have no life regen due to VP, and don't use mana for attacks/casting.
Chaos degen clouds - can be dangerous when combined with some other mods, because if you drop to low life, a chaos cloud can swiftly finish you off.
Ele Reflect - reroll, you aren't surviving this one. Regular single reflect rares are fine though.

Notable Bosses

Orchard - skip. Fires slow and fast fireballs. Even fast ones will oneshot you without any damage mods on map.
Residence Dominus - with skele brotem doesn't present much threat as long as you evade lightning streams.
Necropolis - skele brotem lowers the threat to minimum.
Crematorium - extremely dangerous. 87% fire resist from RoTP and PoF is not really enough to consistently survive, while standing in Firestorm you still die in around 1 second.
Use at least 2 Ruby flasks, portal out as soon as they run out if the boss isn't dead.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Jun 10, 2016, 1:40:16 AM
Last bumped on Apr 16, 2016, 5:59:32 PM
Hi there,
Very nice build ! It looks fun an effective.
One quick question, what is your critical strike chance ? and crit strike chance for spells ? (as it looks like you are not using power charge, I suppose it should be quite high >70%)
Thanks again for the build !
"
edessiex wrote:
Hi there,
Very nice build ! It looks fun an effective.
One quick question, what is your critical strike chance ? and crit strike chance for spells ? (as it looks like you are not using power charge, I suppose it should be quite high >70%)
Thanks again for the build !

I do use power charges.

With 5 charges chance to crit on Kinetic Blast is 80%, and 50% chance to crit on fireball.
This is using a wand with fairly low 10% base crit chance, and one less power charge than possible (taken frenzy as a3 reward), so higher value is definitely achievable.

Without any charges KB is as 52% crit, and Fireball - 33%
Last edited by Shajirr on Jul 19, 2015, 7:07:22 PM
Is the build Uber viable? Like, viable enough to manage uber in at least 3 or 2 deaths
@Axdie
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2076866 >>> Wolves of Wraeclast <Wolves>

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2093385 >>> Morbid Torc | Old #1 Howa Amulet
"
Axdie wrote:
Is the build Uber viable? Like, viable enough to manage uber in at least 3 or 2 deaths

Most likely not.
At least I have no idea how it could be done with such type of wander.
Shotgunning removed, and enemy hp including bosses buffed.

If you want an Uber build search WayneTrain discharger, that build can do it either deathless or with very few deaths.
ok thx for your reply, ill look into other builds to fit my uber needs :)
@Axdie
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2076866 >>> Wolves of Wraeclast <Wolves>

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2093385 >>> Morbid Torc | Old #1 Howa Amulet
I'm running this right now and it's already going pretty smoothly at 46 on just a couple 4-links. For the moment I'm using HoA along with HoT because crits are still somewhat unreliable. It definitely eases the leveling process a bit. So far EB with 1 jewel with 3 ES on hit is enough to sustain mana.

Thanks for the guide, it's definitely a fun build so far. :)
"
Travesty9090 wrote:
For the moment I'm using HoA along with HoT because crits are still somewhat unreliable.

What wand do you use?
HoA is a valid choice is you have some kind of phys wand I guess, either Twyzel or similar rare, but ultimately you don't deal that much dmg with just attacks later on

For improved crit rate get Ungil's Harmony
"
"
Travesty9090 wrote:
For the moment I'm using HoA along with HoT because crits are still somewhat unreliable.

What wand do you use?
HoA is a valid choice is you have some kind of phys wand I guess, either Twyzel or similar rare, but ultimately you don't deal that much dmg with just attacks later on

For improved crit rate get Ungil's Harmony

For now I'm just using a high phys damage wand with a crit chance master mod. I don't expect HoA to continue to be worth it for very long. It's a nice supplement for clearspeed for the moment because of the unreliability of crits at 46, especially since I don't need the mana, but as crit reliability increases I don't expect it'll be worth it.
Last edited by Travesty9090 on Jul 21, 2015, 9:51:40 PM
Wouldnt be better to use ice spear instead of kinetic blast? The other form of ice spear have 600% more crit chance. That way we wont need to put points on wand stuff and save like ~10points. But yeah also would need to change some other points

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info