Magma Orb

Magma Orb is way better than fireball.
The 80% dmge effectiveness doesn't compensate anything.

Without a big bunch of node in crit and burning dmge, fireball can't follow the comparison... and the joke is that fireball cost more mana and is slower to cast.

I'm not saying that fireball is too weak in comparison of the game, just that if you have a choice to do, there is no reason to use fireball.

The tooltip of magma ofb says that it chain one time but it's not a chain.
A chain always touch a second target and you don't control it (Any Arc user knows wht i'm talking about).
Pierce is going through the target.
Magma Orb is a bounce effect and you can use it at your advantage to hit a backline.

Arc got 70% dmge effectiveness, is slower to cast than Magma Orb, cost more mana but chain 2 times.

Magma Orb love concentrated effect... fireball doesn't.

Magma Orb should cost more mana than fireball.
Magma should do less dmge too.
"
Daiop wrote:
Magma Orb love concentrated effect... fireball doesn't.
you got that backwards, but otherwise correct complaining going on =p
that's pretty much as i previously stated: magma orb feels like a replacement for fireball at the moment
I'm currently trying to run a crit build based on magma orb but it's still early days so I still need to get my 4 link supports up and running before I draw any conclusions.

One thing I'll say about the skill is that it dosn't feel like a beginner skill at all. I mean conceptually its a bit counterintuitive as a projectile that doesn't do any damage in its own right but rather works by triggering two aoe effects. Making it available at lv1 seems a little inappropriate as I can see a lot of new players misunderstanding how the skill scales with passives.

Other than that, it's a solid skill that takes a bit of practice to get a feel for. Nothing feels better than when you master shotgunning larger targets by placing that first bounce just right. Damage output seems okay. At this point it seems to be a viable aoe skill which also has pretty good single target capabilities.
I tried this skill from level 1 to 60, then i died to a PC crash on malachai :/

One word: AWESOME. Insane AoE clear speed and single target damage. With 44% increased AoE from tree you're going to hit a mob with the first AND the second bounce if positioned correctly. Dealing double the damage

At the beginning without AoE nodes is a little lackluster, after the first 20% from templar or which the skill becomes really strong

Also: i leveled it in areverberation rod with faster cast + Fire pen + Magma Orb
@GGG

Can we please have the Flashing effects of this skill heavily reduced...

when playing with this skill for more than an hour it gets on your nerves with those VERY bright flashes.
this was also refered to by Ziggyd in the State of Exile Podcast Ep:35 Part 2 at 32:00.

just the visual effect alone is makeing me considder the sadly inferior fireball.

the damage feels kinda okay, but that may just be my gearing so far ( and the fact that i still need a fire pen gem ).

the skill it self ( the visual aside ) seems really fun to use, and mecanically very interesting.
Last edited by Strataz on Jul 28, 2015, 8:37:45 AM
With enough cast speed and multiple projectiles, it can easily be called japanese anime aka epilipsy. Srsl so bright compared to the background, if you try to lower brightness it doesnt help cause you have to lower to the point you only see the orbs flying around and if you dont reduce it after 10 mins of gameplay your eyes start hurting. Might be cause im semi-colourblind but yeah, contrast is kind of horrible.
Going to agree with the others even though im not epileptic or anything (one of my favorite games is house of the dead, lol).

The explosion flash could probably trigger people who arent good with quick bright flashes.

However i do love the ability though, its pretty neat.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
I'm pretty sure this skill was thought of in the wee hours of the morning, when playing with one of those enormous posture/exercise balls, probably one that was red or orange in color. You know, the kind you see on YouTube where people are holding the balls on their chests, running at each other and displaying the fun side of physics.

I like it.
"People ask me why I do this at my age. People are rude."
Currently running a BM EB MoM Crit Magma Orb on Templar to test out the Chain buffs of 2.1.

What I've been noticing is Magma Orbs can't bounce down or up at the top of stairs. The orbs can bounce from the bottom up, but then just vanish when it hits a certain point at the edge of the top of the stairs. The same effect happens when you attempt to bounce your orb from the top of the stairs down, where the orb will vanish at the top of the stairs basically denying you the ability to use Magma Orb bounces from the top of stairs.

It'd be great if Magma Orb got a QoL buff to fix this. The skill is not very efficient when you have to play around the top of stairs.

Edit: A great map to see what I'm talking about is Channel.
Last edited by VwjUnit on Dec 15, 2015, 1:11:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info