Magma Orb

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Sep 28, 2020, 4:08:10 PM
So, what are your thoughts on this gem? So far, I find it a bit underwhelming and I'm not sure of its application.
GGG listens to its fans!!! Thank you!
First impression as I used the skill for the first time:
Wow, a better version of fireball that doesn't fly straight but gets thrown. Guess I sell my fireball gem then.

It feels way too strong compared to fireball and both are available on lvl 1.

For me it's the same as lightning tendrils and spark. I'd always choose tendrils over spark for leveling.

Don't know the ice skills that are comparable at the moment. Guess it was ice nova and freezing pulse before ice nova being changed to require lvl 12. Before that, I considered nova and pulse to be equally powerful options with different style of play - ultimately the only element that had balanced early skills for casters.
_____

I guess the balance of fireball and magma orb should be tweaked regarding cast speed and aoe effects to present 2 viable early game options - another possibility is to make magma orb a lvl 12 skill to be more of a successor.

_____
Edit: spelling
_____
Edit: One more thing: you really have to get used to magma orb physics. It doesn't feel real when throwing a ball thrown close to yourself with it bouncing a way farer distance. Maybe add minimal range but real physical behaviour of the bounces (=same distance of every bounce as thrown distance)? Of course I don't oversee all possible situations... throwing in a wall's direction maybe a problem here e.g.
Last edited by ben_mit_b on Jul 13, 2015, 5:15:37 AM
So... Molten Strike - Multistrike - GMP - CoC - Fireball - Magma Orb? literally everything that's a ball of flame into one build.

how to protect it properly, though?

Haven't tested the gem myself, honestly. heard it was underwhelming. if only reduced projectile speed worked on it, we could have AoE shotgunning shenanigans with it.
Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.
Can magma orb shootgun with lmp/gmp?
I've been using this as a primary attack skill from level 1-21. So far, I've been having a lot of fun with it. It's very quick to cast, and I like its splash damage. The little bounce that it does is icing on the cake. Coupled with the sound effect, it has a very satisfying feeling to it when used (...that sounds weird, doesn't it). Flaming basketball of doom!
"
enveratise wrote:
So... Molten Strike - Multistrike - GMP - CoC - Fireball - Magma Orb? literally everything that's a ball of flame into one build.

how to protect it properly, though?

Haven't tested the gem myself, honestly. heard it was underwhelming. if only reduced projectile speed worked on it, we could have AoE shotgunning shenanigans with it.

I am trying it now and it's pretty ridiculous. I don't have the crit chance right now to do it frequently, but when I do crit, the entire screen fills up with fire. :)
This is a very interesting skill. I'm having a lot of fun with it though normal and cruel difficulties(though Lightning Tendrils may actually do more damage in my setup). My little suggestion, as somebody above has mentioned, is to make this skill act more closely to everyday physics. When thrown under feet, it should bounce near. When thrown in a distance, it should bounce further away(there's a similar skill in ds2 which represents a very nice example).
Two-handed - Mop
Dual Wield - Slippers
One-handed & Shield (close combat) - Brush & Basin
One-handed & Shield (ranged) - Hair Dryer & Mirror
Main-hand & Off-hand (evil witch) - Sponge & Soap
Played with Magma Orb from 1-78 so far. CI AoE Scion spec.

Felt a little lackluster until the end of normal where 4 links and the important supports are available. Until then you will be lacking either damage or area of effect, making it difficult to efficiently clear with. Works quite well with Flame Totem though. I guess anything works well with FT right now, but what I mean is that you throw down the totem to draw aggro, which keeps them in place well enough to aim "shotgun" Magma Orbs.

After getting a 4L with Magma Orb + Spell Echo + Increase AoE + Mana Leech things feel much better, and adding Fire Pen with a 5L is a big jump in damage. I might swap out Increased AoE for Conc Effect if the area doesn't feel too small, and with a 6L I would add in Slower Projectiles. Ideally I would drop the Mana Leech gem as well, but I don't have the mana regen to sustain it without.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun with it at higher levels. One of my favorite things to do is Flame Dash to the middle of a pack, Abyssal Cry, then drop Magma Orbs at my feet and watch everything explode.
Last edited by Nobake on Jul 17, 2015, 7:32:08 AM
I think it should be allowed to Fork on the last normal bounce.
"If they actually showed gameplay with it zoomed out and then zoomed it in for the real one I think there would be actual riots in the street. I think that people would burn the building down."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info