[2.2 Video Guide] Beginner's Build: Dual Flame Totem, Blood Magic Chieftain [Atziri & HC/SC Viable]

"
damelon wrote:
Yes, the enduring cry is put into linked slots with CWDT/IC/ID but it is supposed to be self-cast. That alone is a huge part of the defense here. There is also plenty of time to do it. This has a double effect. First, you get the bonus of defense with it up, second your IC lasts longer. Considering us totem users don't have to target, casting EC on our own isn't so hard.

You have similar stats to me defensively... more armor even, but I don't really have any problems with death in maps at all. Use your movement speed and terrain to your advantage. Many times I cast totems around corners and wait for them to melt things. Yeah there are a lot of times we can take burst damage, but nothing should one-shot and insta-pots should recover that right away in time to get out of trouble.

So to sum up:
Manually cast EC
Keep IC setup, thats very important to prevent burst damage!
Avoid situations where you would take damage. (Stay out of packs, run around corners)
Use instant heal potions and 2 quicksilver flasks

Oh my gosh I feel like such a dummy! I saw "CWDT + EC" in the OP and assumed the guide was out of date, so I ignored that part. *HUGE facepalm* Well, I went ahead and put that 4-link of gems in my helmet and OH MY GOD I AM IMMORTAL! TANK ALL THE THINGS! I'm not sure how I'm able to tank such a ridiculous amount of damage with this setup (on paper it looks like pretty modest damage mitigation) but it definitely makes the build! Even with low level IC and EC gems I was literally laughing out loud last night as the CWDT proc'd and limited lethal damage to a minor dent in my energy shield. I even did a rare level 74 map with the "fracture" mod and cleared the entire thing without using a single potion!! Ridiculous!!

Thank-you so much for your reply! This character is so much more fun now!
"
Heywoody wrote:
"
damelon wrote:
Yes, the enduring cry is put into linked slots with CWDT/IC/ID but it is supposed to be self-cast. That alone is a huge part of the defense here. There is also plenty of time to do it. This has a double effect. First, you get the bonus of defense with it up, second your IC lasts longer. Considering us totem users don't have to target, casting EC on our own isn't so hard.

You have similar stats to me defensively... more armor even, but I don't really have any problems with death in maps at all. Use your movement speed and terrain to your advantage. Many times I cast totems around corners and wait for them to melt things. Yeah there are a lot of times we can take burst damage, but nothing should one-shot and insta-pots should recover that right away in time to get out of trouble.

So to sum up:
Manually cast EC
Keep IC setup, thats very important to prevent burst damage!
Avoid situations where you would take damage. (Stay out of packs, run around corners)
Use instant heal potions and 2 quicksilver flasks

Oh my gosh I feel like such a dummy! I saw "CWDT + EC" in the OP and assumed the guide was out of date, so I ignored that part. *HUGE facepalm* Well, I went ahead and put that 4-link of gems in my helmet and OH MY GOD I AM IMMORTAL! TANK ALL THE THINGS! I'm not sure how I'm able to tank such a ridiculous amount of damage with this setup (on paper it looks like pretty modest damage mitigation) but it definitely makes the build! Even with low level IC and EC gems I was literally laughing out loud last night as the CWDT proc'd and limited lethal damage to a minor dent in my energy shield. I even did a rare level 74 map with the "fracture" mod and cleared the entire thing without using a single potion!! Ridiculous!!

Thank-you so much for your reply! This character is so much more fun now!

Awesome! Glad it helped!
"
damelon wrote:
"
Ntee wrote:
What does your new passive tree look like?

It is here. A little different than txd's but not much.

Not sure if all this repathing is worth it. Not only you lose access to these 2 best life nodes you mentioned, you are now just far away from the last jewel slot we can take, under the Ancestral Bond. Which can be filled by something that will give you more DPS then the whole Mental Rapidity wheel combined?
Last edited by evilmindcz on Jul 29, 2015, 5:04:09 PM
"
evilmindcz wrote:
"
damelon wrote:
"
Ntee wrote:
What does your new passive tree look like?

It is here. A little different than txd's but not much.

Not sure if all this repathing is worth it. Not only you lose access to these 2 best life nodes you mentioned, you are now just far away from the last jewel slot we can take, under the Ancestral Bond. Which can be filled by something that will give you more DPS then the whole Mental Rapidity wheel combined?

I didn't lose a jewel slot, at least not based on how many jewels I planed to take (3) endgame. First I moved my 2nd jewel to the node above Barbarism, and there is still a 3rd 2-slot jewel slot i can take next to Mind Over Matter, so it isn't really a loss of any "current" slots, and a future slot used means I swapped +10 int for +10 str. For 100% chaos damage crit, the re-path is necessary, and better in every single way at my current level. The regen makes a huge difference. I can see how valuable the Combat Stamina nodes are.

If I remained fire damage (as stated before) then the re-path out of the Celestial wheel isn't really necessary as it benefits a crit-fire build significantly.

The use of wheels like Mental Rapdity are more due to node optimization. Since the nodes north of fire walker aren't used, we need to get to Shaman's Dominion another way. And once you remove the celestial wheel, the nodes below ancestral bond (int/str) also become wasted. Connect them via the path around the top saves the most total nodes. Normally fire walker would also be removed but at the moment I still have it. Those two nodes can be replaced by a jewel eventually. At that point mental rapidity is right off the path and doesn't require any gear change. If I somehow find a 4th jewel that will be overall better than 12% cast speed, I can always use 3 nodes to swap it out, but with the switch to the dagger I lost all of the cast speed on my wand, so these does help to replace what is lost.

Losing those large life nodes sucks, because in each case the bonus life for the first two nodes are great, but they also cost stat nodes to get to them. At that point lesser nodes straight off the tree end up adding up to more. I did a side by side comparison beforehand for my level 90 tree, and penetration was the only thing "worse" off. (other than some STR loss) But again, that is assuming the 100% chaos conversion. I wouldn't have re-pathed if I did fire damage. Now the only thing I diddn't calculate would be how the STR loss affects my iron will. Not just from the few str nodes, but from Devotion. I may tweak it more as I go but I figured I'd use the example paths as a start.

I keep thinking about the 5 points vested to take the devotion nodes, because it isn't just the 20% life, it is the 40 strength too. Which is 20% and +20 life and dmg added to Iron will. Then IF you go there you can use the Jewel node like you mentioned, vs the one by MOM, which again uses a +10 str node vs an int node. I definitely noticed that one of my nodes is in-efficient, which is the final +4% life +3 all resist nodes after barbarism. I'm already capped, so that needs to be un-done. I may end up going back to devotion eventually. We'll see.
Last edited by damelon on Jul 30, 2015, 9:39:27 AM
Hi

Currently enjoying this build at lvl 82.

Some questions

- Why did you take the nodewheel granting life + mana regeneration (3 nodes)?

I've discussed this with a friend of mine and we can't seem to figure it out

We have acces to other life wheels that seems to add similar ammount of hp though they require 1 more point invested, at the same time they offer other benefitial buffs (armor increase / more regen or less mana cost for herald of thunder)

- What levels did you manage to get on your dex based skills, especially vaal haste?

I can no longer upgrade my own vaal haste and I already took the +30 dex node and have some +dex gear.

Awesome build, easely one of the easiest progressing builds I've played so far!

Last edited by Alpropos on Jul 29, 2015, 6:25:44 PM
"
Alpropos wrote:
Hi

Currently enjoying this build at lvl 82.

Some questions

- Why did you take the nodewheel granting life + mana regeneration (3 nodes)?

I've discussed this with a friend of mine and we can't seem to figure it out

We have acces to other life wheels that seems to add similar ammount of hp though they require 1 more point invested, at the same time they offer other benefitial buffs (armor increase / more regen or less mana cost for herald of thunder)

- What levels did you manage to get on your dex based skills, especially vaal haste?

I can no longer upgrade my own vaal haste and I already took the +30 dex node and have some +dex gear.

Awesome build, easely one of the easiest progressing builds I've played so far!

There is no good reason to take the 3x life/manaregen nodes, use the points elsewhere.

With the +30 dex node you need a total of 89 more dex on your gear to use max level vaal haste which shouldn't be hard to get on gear between an amulet with a dex base, and 2 more pieces with 30+ on them. It can be crafted on rings if needed.
Last edited by txd on Jul 29, 2015, 6:59:50 PM
Would a normal Haste gem instead of Vaal Haste also work?
"
Would a normal Haste gem instead of Vaal Haste also work?

A normal haste gem reserves mana (or life in this build's case) and vaal haste does not.
Hello,

First, I want to thank everyone in this thread for discussing and providing constructive insight into the mechanics behind the build. I haven't played since 2013, so I have had to relearn a lot.

That being said, I am playing this build in Tempest league and am a level 86 marauder. It's been going well so far, however I would like to optimize and make the build more efficient and effective for end game mapping and leveling. I am hoping to receive some input on how to increase DPS while still maintaining solid defense. It seems as though taking the route of crit damage appears to be the most popular choice.

Here is the link to my current build (it's pretty standard to liftingnerdbro's build):
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEABAcEswYOCfYLYQ48EFgQzBEtFCAUcRkuGjgaPh8CJbwnLyftKS4rtiycLKcyNDLRNZI22DpYOtg8LT38RUdFnUbXSRtKxErIUEdTUlXGVw1YY1jlWfNaK15dXz9j_WaeaPJuqnGFcg965nyDfLiCB4Kbg1-DzIPbh2WMRpBVmjua4KIAo_KnlKyYrY2vbK-3sUK18rc-wGbDE8QVxFjE9sauxtjPftH90iHUfNWm2L3ZYdl82rnbT9-_4MPhc-vu7DjtPO8O8B_xbPGs8i_yQfZI9q74k_4K

Current Gear:
Spoiler

Gems are all currently level 19.
Maxed resistances.
5,809 HP.
7,800 armor with a 44% physical damage reduction.

DPS:
Flametotem Tooltip (TT) DPS: 11,211.3
Flametotem TT DPS w/ Fire Golem (FG): 11,575
Flametotem TT DPS w/ FG and Herald of Thunder: 12,095

In addition, I am using a 51% Clear mind jewel. No other jewels are being used at the moment.

After reading through this entire thread, I've noticed my dps is severely lacking compared to others. I understand that I'd get a huge increase in DPS if I were to upgrade to a 6-Link Mantle and use Iron Will. I'm about 4exalts away from affording a 6-link mantle. In addition, I am aware that revising my skill tree and/or going crit (the consuming dark) can also greatly boost my DPS. I am wondering what route I should take etc... Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading through my post.
"
Damerae wrote:
Hello,

First, I want to thank everyone in this thread for discussing and providing constructive insight into the mechanics behind the build. I haven't played since 2013, so I have had to relearn a lot.

That being said, I am playing this build in Tempest league and am a level 86 marauder. It's been going well so far, however I would like to optimize and make the build more efficient and effective for end game mapping and leveling. I am hoping to receive some input on how to increase DPS while still maintaining solid defense. It seems as though taking the route of crit damage appears to be the most popular choice.

Here is the link to my current build (it's pretty standard to liftingnerdbro's build):
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEABAcEswYOCfYLYQ48EFgQzBEtFCAUcRkuGjgaPh8CJbwnLyftKS4rtiycLKcyNDLRNZI22DpYOtg8LT38RUdFnUbXSRtKxErIUEdTUlXGVw1YY1jlWfNaK15dXz9j_WaeaPJuqnGFcg965nyDfLiCB4Kbg1-DzIPbh2WMRpBVmjua4KIAo_KnlKyYrY2vbK-3sUK18rc-wGbDE8QVxFjE9sauxtjPftH90iHUfNWm2L3ZYdl82rnbT9-_4MPhc-vu7DjtPO8O8B_xbPGs8i_yQfZI9q74k_4K

Current Gear:
Spoiler

Gems are all currently level 19.
Maxed resistances.
5,809 HP.
7,800 armor with a 44% physical damage reduction.

DPS:
Flametotem Tooltip (TT) DPS: 11,211.3
Flametotem TT DPS w/ Fire Golem (FG): 11,575
Flametotem TT DPS w/ FG and Herald of Thunder: 12,095

In addition, I am using a 51% Clear mind jewel. No other jewels are being used at the moment.

After reading through this entire thread, I've noticed my dps is severely lacking compared to others. I understand that I'd get a huge increase in DPS if I were to upgrade to a 6-Link Mantle and use Iron Will. I'm about 4exalts away from affording a 6-link mantle. In addition, I am aware that revising my skill tree and/or going crit (the consuming dark) can also greatly boost my DPS. I am wondering what route I should take etc... Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading through my post.

So right away I can tell you that while you may or may not go crit, consuming dark is in no means necessary to do crit with this build. I had a very high DPS before going that route (Around 29k) so I can assure you that you don't have to make drastic changes like the ones I just did recently like going full chaos to dip into crit and reap some of the DPS benefits from it.

Lets start with what you have. A lot of people make the mistake of going a super high spell/fire damage weapon with not much else on it. This is a misconception of where you totem damage comes from. Cast speed, and flat spell damage added are more valuable than flat spell damage on your weapon. I had a sceptre that gave me around 120% combined fire/spell damage and it wasn't close to another sceptre I had that had half that. Find a 19-22% cast speed item, with at least 50+ added damage to spells (fire nets you the most bonuses overall) and around 50%+ total spell/fire/elemental damage. It doesn't need to be super high to make a big difference. Also look at wands, as there are many more of them with these stats. It is an added bonus if you get crit chance or multiplier on the weapon, even if it is a low roll.

Also, you did start as a marauder, so your life/armor choices will lose you some offense overall. It is the most defense starting class. Witch and Templar all have pure damage nodes to start with. So you will be behind a little because of that choice offensively.

From there your tree is specced very defensively. You even have a +15% all resist node, you want to dump that ASAP and get that on your gear. Try to find more int and get rid of the +30 int node. I'd spec out of all nodes above Cruel Preparation and quick recovery, and finally the 5% node above heart of the warrior. Those can net you 11 nodes.

Now you have options. Your rings are average. You spent a lot of nodes on life and resists but your rings have fire damage instead of high life and resists. that 11% is a single node elsewhere in your tree. If you want damage on your ring, get diamond rings with crit chance, or rings with cast speed. Fire damage is nice if you get a perfect ring with it, but 70+ life and T1 resist rolls are much more important. If you get those your life will scale up so much more with those bonus nodes. Your helm has awesome armor but no resists other than chaos. You can add a resist to your gauntlets from crafting. Resists should always be on gear if possible. Nodes with resists are costly and damage nodes in your tree are cheap!

So what to do with those nodes. Well, 1 or 2 jewels with life / damage / cast speed or any combos of them are good. Any combination of damage. added damage, fire damage, spell damage, projectile damage, totem damage works. 7% max life is excellent always on a jewel. 4% cast speed is great. Look for rare jewels with 3 of those stats on them in combination. IMO, they should always have a 7% life mod on them, but that's just me.

If you want your damage to really scale up you need to invest a little in crit. You don't even need to go chaos. Just Shaman's dominion (right side) and Annihilation help immensely with damage. Add in crit chance or multiplier on rings/weapon/amulet and it REALLY scales up.

All of your gems may be level 19, but none have quality on them. Faster Casting and Faster Projectiles have big bonuses with quality in this build. Flame totem isn't that necessary. Fire Pen, Added Chaos, and Iron will will also all net you bonus damage with quality. Even a corrupted lv 21 flame totem will jump your damage quite a bit, and is much better than a 20% lv 20 flame totem, but it just costs money.

And lastly you can upgrade your clear mind jewel. If you look often enough you can find some amazing deals on them. I've probably purchased 6 60% jewels for 5c or less in this league, but you have to be fast to find them. 57-58% jewels sell for 20c almost all day though otherwise.

Last edited by damelon on Jul 29, 2015, 11:02:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info