Eternal Orbs

"
Cipherseed wrote:
I have always thought Mirror and Eternal orbs should have not existed together, but I feel like the clear choice would have been disabling mirror drops. Players should be able to perfect their gear, but not duplicate it once it's become one of the best items in the game. I think this is a good change, but it would have been better to keep eternals and disable mirrors.

Yeah, i also think so.
Mirror removal would make more sense.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Temp league economy has never been affected by Eternals. Standard economy will not be affected by this change as well. Chris already stated that they will re-evaluate Eternals with the next expansion after Awakening. Players with Mirror service gear have saved up enough Eternals to craft 6T1 items for years to come. All that this change does is solidify the mirror market and multiply the current wealth of already filthy rich players.

Imo. the ONLY reasonable way to remove Eternals, would be to really REMOVE all Eternals from the game and force-replace them by Exalted Orbs, by let's say 4:1, and be done with it once and for all.
IGN Riddericke ▪ UTC+1 ▪ SHOP 498896
Last edited by riddie on Jul 6, 2015, 4:14:43 AM
I would had preferred eternals being removed only from temp leagues and let them stay in standard. Test it out in temp leagues like always and then evaluating their state in standard.
Delicious tears, delicious tears.
La la la, delicious tears.
Speaking as someone who is terribly poor (I have found maybe 5 Exalted Orbs on my own and the best item I've found was a Soul Taker) after over 1000 hours in PoE and can only realistically play standard (I get bouts of busy days and can't play for a month or more sometimes), this destroys crafting for me.

There is no way I will ever, in standard, be able to craft something for cheaper than I can buy the item. Without a way to "ensure" my item isn't ruined by +7% fire resistance or something, I have no motivation to waste the Exalted orb on it. I am far better off simply saving that currency until I can afford a better option. Unless GGG has the idea of buffing current master crafting (which, for weapons simply don't cut it - if they did, say T2 and cost more, like Exalted Orbs more, it would be a God send), this is a huge hit for those of us that only dream of getting a 500+ DPS weapon. I've never found an Eternal myself, but at least currently, if my terrible relationship with RNGesus is mended and I end up with an item that has 3 T1s after alts and a regal, I am pretty much guaranteed to destroy it in 2.0. I could maybe scrounge up enough to get an Eternal at the pre-legacy rate, but it just is impossible now.

In leagues and races and such, I have no problem with the impact of not having Eternals available for crafters, but Standard is already saturated with mid tier items nobody can give away.

And as far as Mirrors, they don't exist in my PoE experience. And they might as well be done away with anyway. Why would I, if I got lucky enough to even get a Mirror, waste it on the newly crafted items? New items with the new T1s simply won't exist or be reasonably available for players that don't already have massive currency to use.
I like this change, however my dream would be that eternals would exist and be cheaper. So that crafting your own gear would be more viable and items can be mirrored only once. Crafting is addicting, too bad its a stupid waste of currency.
Path of Exile - RNG based hoarding simulator
Well, crafting is dead. But hey, at least I have a few bargaining chips if I ever decide to heavily invest into standard.

Exalts are far too rare to waste on a yolo exalt and eternals were far too rare to be used to save a 5-link item when trying for 6 link. The combination is obvious and hardly "unintended".

The next thing you need to do is significantly boost the drop rates on exalts and lower the stupidly low rarity of the current t1 affixes. 3000 alts trying to roll tyrannical is just not cool, especially because that's 3000 dropped items if you try to find one naturally (not exactly due to rares having more than 1 prefix). Crafting right now is simply not worth it, and removing eternals which allow people to perfect items over time is only making it worse.
Damn it, i never had one dropped :(
"
Altha wrote:
I would had preferred eternals being removed only from temp leagues and let them stay in standard. Test it out in temp leagues like always and then evaluating their state in standard.

I can stand by this mentality only because Chris stated that he is unsure if eternals will return. Wouldn't be the first time a league went without specific drops i.e. Kaom's Heart.
"
riddie wrote:

Imo. the ONLY reasonable way to remove Eternals, would be to really REMOVE all Eternals from the game and force-replace them by Exalted Orbs, by let's say 4:1, and be done with it once and for all.

While this may be the only way to truly remove eternals, the question bubbles up out of me, why? With legacy being a standing policy within game I stand by my argument that it unfairly targets the rich. What would removing eternals do in a permanent league? The upper 1% will remain the upper 1% and even if they didn't craft the next t1 gear, they'd still have the best items in game for a long time to come. Mirrors still exist and so far there is no threat to them, so you're still fighting a losing battle.

The only reason that justifies the removal of eternal drops is exactly what I said earlier, that GGG doesn't want people to get perfect gear. It'll happen anyway, maybe even a little bit slower. But it will happen. Mark my words.
"
elvorette wrote:

It's not targetting the rich.... Not only rich people have eternals, even though some people may have stockpiled them. It's also not making 'rich' players worse off. It is giving them less opportunity to create top tier items in just under a few weeks of the update. Currency conversion to exalts would stop them ruining the market within weeks of the update, which is pretty much the intention of the removal of this currency. What's the point removing them completely if rich people have stockpiled them, waiting for the update to roll over? It would have achieved almost nothing.

Only the rich would be hurt by such a change because only the upper 1% can possibly use eternals for top tier crafting. This is the abuse that is cited by many, and the average Joe probably doesn't care too much about losing one eternal, unless maybe he has an image or two lying around. The impact of removing eternals entirely is lopsided because of trading. If the currency was better distributed I wouldn't say that it targets the rich. But the currency will not be better distributed anytime soon because the drop rate is too low, therefore it is more valuable as a commodity, which means it'll mostly be the rich using it for crafting.

And what is the point of GGG removing their drop? Good question. Maybe they don't want the situation to get worse. Phasing out eternals will make it significantly harder in the long run to continue crafting 6T1 items. With the expected rarity of the new top level tiers on weapons as well, maybe they're hoping to drain the economy of them before reintroducing them. That could be only a benefit to the extremely rich right now, but a benefit to the entire player base when/if they return.

Maybe this is only a trial run to see how the players react to it.
Playing since release. Nether saw Eternal drop. Nothing changes for me, I guess! :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info