Divination cards could be so much more than a grinding option GGG!

"
Warsplit wrote:
OP is right, look how well pvp turned out with the resources given

I'm sensing sarcasm. PVP turned out pretty well IMO, did you not participate in the season? Its not very active out of the season because its a PVE game...But come PVP season 2 Im sure many will be joining.

Theres quite a few options of PVP too such as arena, Capture the flag, 2 vs. 2... Have you not played D3? They haven't even put out the arena they were previewing 4 years ago before release.

GG GGG (and with limited resources too, it was just a side team that developed pvp).
"
neonive wrote:
But come PVP season 2 Im sure many will be joining.

Why... Why are you sure of this?

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Because it has only been one season and plenty of participants...And did u not see those badass artworks I linked above?

It's pretty fun honestly, granted u need to be fighting someone on similar skill/gear but there have been epic moments in the arena.

But not to derail... I like the idea of the Divination's if theyre tradeable...(they are tradeable aren't they)? But I also like the idea of a mini-side-cardgame with cool artwork :)
"
Azdrubel wrote:
(minigames based on already existing games)

Now THAT is what I call a good idea, and a well reasoned argument. Kudos, sir!
"
Hodari wrote:
I never claimed I was a representative or anything. I'm allowed to give my opinion on it the same as you are. And yes, I'd agree that PoE is overall a superior game. But having a difference of two orders of magnitude in the number of employees IS going to mean there are some limits to how much GGG can do. Adding an entirely separate mini-game might not be completely impossible for them, but it is going to take a lot of work. I simply feel that those resources could be better spent elsewhere.

As for hideouts, I suspect the main reason they were able to include those was that a lot of the resources needed for it were already there to begin with. All of the artwork/tilesets/objects were already there for existing in-game assets(or stuff they were planning to add eventually). Even the editing system may have already been there in some form as what the developers were using to design the actual game maps. So all that might have been needed was taking the existing assets and modifying them a bit to something that they could allow players to use. That's still a long ways off from creating and maintaining what is effectively an entirely separate game.

That's why the thread is about divination cards. The artwork is already there (perhaps a few more will be needed) - the only thing that remains is making a ruleset and an interface which can, at first, be extremely simple. I never said "it has to be done now", but I wish it is something that gets considered in the future.

"
Azdrubel wrote:
"
Hodari wrote:
That's still a long ways off from creating and maintaining what is effectively an entirely separate game.

I agree. You make an absolutely undebatable point, because it WOULD require resources that could as well be spent on other new content.

But at least for me this comes down to something else. Because let´s be realistic, when you - and most other ppl on the forums - are talking about new content, you usually mean new acts and areas, new maps, new items - basically more of the same but "biggerer and betterer", which ironically strengthens my point that you don´t want your game to be different because you don´t like stuff that is different. Additionally, all that new stuff caters to one single group of players, the ones that like the endgame or want more endgame, as new acts means raised arealevels, more questrewards (primarily skill- and respecc-points) and faster xp-gain.

If I am honest I do not belong to that group. I get bored when my chars reach level 80, I get bored from maps, I get bored from running through the same area over and over again. I like the midgame though. Smashing stuff because I found a crazy new weapon, find another more optimal route on my skilltree that saves me one or two skillpoints...
I also liked low-lvl-dueling a lot, until it became infested with mirrored gear and legacy master-crafted shit. If I am honest, in retrospect I wish GGG had left PvP alone, so noone would have cared and we would still have a fun and easily accessible side-activity for when I am not in the mood for farming or rerolling.

You say those ressources could be spent on new content. I say that minigames WOULD be new content. I simply wish for overall MORE stuff to do instead of more of the same stuff to do. Have multiple easy minigames that, from a technical standpoint, can basically be copied 1:1 from any flashgame like chess or dice or poker or whatever, give it a PoE-look (dice carved from bones, cards made from monster- or banditskin, boards/tables/playingfields made from old weapons or crates), give us the option to bet against our opponent and there we go. I think those ressources would be well spent.

regards

edit: Those minigames could fairly easily be implemented into the already existing content. Like for example: assuming in Theopolis everyone was obsessed with playing dice simply add a few letters of exile saying "blah blah, exiled for serious crimes against our holy antique rulebook full of nonsense blah blah for gambling blah cheating with the dice blah blah manufacturing loaded dice blah" (easily doable as there is no voiceover anyways), then when we save Elena in act2 normal she invites us to a round of dice (as her personal way to thank us for saving her life she tries to rip us off; oh thanks kind woman!) and then the game goes "BOOM!" (sound of quest completed/achievement earned) and a text says "You can now challenge other players in town to play dice", have human monsters have a slim chance to drop pretty and rare dice (ofc not loaded ones) that you can bring to the table and show off. Then again in Act2 when we kill Captain-I-drop-no-shit and his friends to complete The Way Forward quest we find a chess-, checkers- or backgammon-set on his table, sidequest says "Bring this set to Eramir and he will teach you how to play [insert board game name]". Once we did that the screen goes BOOM again and text says "You can now challenge other players in town to [insert board game name]". I mean, the possibilities are like endless.

Excellent point. You can't just keep adding "new content". You also have to enrich the existing content. And as you say in your edit, with a little creativity, the implementation shouldn't be much of a hassle.
Witcher 3 rocks!
So bumping this thread after we got a good look at the divination card system.
"
neonive wrote:
"
Warsplit wrote:
OP is right, look how well pvp turned out with the resources given

I'm sensing sarcasm. PVP turned out pretty well IMO, did you not participate in the season? Its not very active out of the season because its a PVE game...But come PVP season 2 Im sure many will be joining.

Theres quite a few options of PVP too such as arena, Capture the flag, 2 vs. 2... Have you not played D3? They haven't even put out the arena they were previewing 4 years ago before release.

GG GGG (and with limited resources too, it was just a side team that developed pvp).

I think maybe YOU haven't played it.. they added it 2 years ago.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/gameplay/pvp

No one cared so they refocused (intelligently I might add) on PvE.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Jul 29, 2015, 1:54:48 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:

Straining pretty hard there?
"
innervation wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:

Straining pretty hard there?

Not even, just pointing out the obvious. Unless you consider googling and linking something easy like a blizzard link strain, then yes, sure buddy.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info