Divination cards could be so much more than a grinding option GGG!

"
MegaDeth666 wrote:
"
RestInPieces wrote:
Triple triad in FFXIII (best example of a very simple but fun card game)

Did you just shamelessly insult Final Fantasy VIII by comparing it with the abomination that is XIII?

Oh the horror! Fixed that terrible mistake! Thanks for pointing it out. :)
As everyone is bashing on you and your idea for no other reason than "I don want ma game to be diff´rent, cuz I don like things that´re diff´rent" I feel obliged to agree with you, OP.
Not necessarily in your stance towards Divination Cards and GGG having missed an opportunity there (although a Wraeclast-TCG with cards you can get as loot would be freaking amazing) - because I agree with other posters that balancing such a minigame would be a nightmare.

But in general I really like the idea of minigames, that we could play with or against other players, especially with a feature to bet currency or items and such.
I mean, it would make perfect sense for those games to be included. Apart from the point you make, that such minigames could break the monotony of grinding, I think they would do a great deal to immerse one into the game and give a great deal of depth to the world without adding any gaming complexity. It could even be already existing games, like dice or poker.

Just think about it, and this is MY point why such games would be good and believable in PoE, they make sense LORE-wise. We players are exiles and therefor criminals. Gambling in the real world is often a crime and more so in fantasy lore. Additionally we learn from the lore that Theopolis has a very complex social system, a bureaucratic government (which is very likely to ban gambling unless they can benefit from it, much like in the real world) and organized religion (which usually bans gambling unless it is a cult of RNGsus - which it isn´t). Taking into account all the references to the later Roman Empire I think it can be safely assumed that Theopolis´ culture is rather decadent and on the brink of collapse. There is every reason to believe that such a culture would develope and implement games like chess, checkers, dice, cardgames and what not. And there is NO reason to believe that ppl of said culture who were exiled to a different continent (consisting in parts of the absolute scum of Theopolis, like Hillock for example) would never play those games again. On the opposite, as they have no other means to kill time (except for slaughtering each other in the Sarn Arena) they would gamble even MORE, especially if you consider that normal ppl need a little fun in their lives or they go mad and Wraeclast doesn´t have many fun things to offer for normal folks (read: ppl who are not into killing bandits and beasts by the thousands). So from a logical standpoint as well as lorewise it would be absolutely believable to have minigames and options to gamble in PoE.

I am not saying it should be a Divination Card TCG. But minigames make a lot of sense, you are right about that.
Hold on to yer shite load o´ bloody barnacles on me arse-cockles, me hearty!

IGN: Trapsdrubel
Last edited by Azdrubel on Jun 26, 2015, 4:21:27 PM
"
Azdrubel wrote:
As everyone is bashing on you and your idea for no other reason than "I don want ma game to be diff´rent, cuz I don like things that´re diff´rent" I feel obliged to agree with you, OP.
Not necessarily in your stance towards Divination Cards and GGG having missed an opportunity there (although a Wraeclast-TCG with cards you can get as loot would be freaking amazing) - because I agree with other posters that balancing such a minigame would be a nightmare.

But in general I really like the idea of minigames, that we could play with or against other players, especially with a feature to bet currency or items and such.
I mean, it would make perfect sense for those games to be included. Apart from the point you make, that such minigames could break the monotony of grinding, I think they would do a great deal to immerse one into the game and give a great deal of depth to the world without adding any gaming complexity. It could even be already existing games, like dice or poker.

Just think about it, and this is MY point why such games would be good and believable in PoE, they make sense LORE-wise. We players are exiles and therefor criminals. Gambling in the real world is often a crime and more so in fantasy lore. Additionally we learn from the lore that Theopolis has a very complex social system, a bureaucratic government (which is very likely to ban gambling unless they can benefit from it, much like in the real world) and organized religion (which usually bans gambling unless it is a cult of RNGsus - which it isn´t). Taking into account all the references to the later Roman Empire I think it can be safely assumed that Theopolis´ culture is rather decadent and on the brink of collapse. There is every reason to believe that such a culture would develope and implement games like chess, checkers, dice, cardgames and what not. And there is NO reason to believe that ppl of said culture who were exiled to a different continent (consisting in parts of the absolute scum of Theopolis, like Hillock for example) would never play those games again. On the opposite, as they have no other means to kill time (except for slaughtering each other in the Sarn Arena) they would gamble even MORE, especially if you consider that normal ppl need a little fun in their lives or they go mad and Wraeclast doesn´t have many fun things to offer for normal folks (read: ppl who are not into killing bandits and beasts by the thousands). So fom a logaical standpoint as well as lorewise it would be absolutely believable to have minigames and options to gamble in PoE.

I am not saying it should be a Divination Card TCG. But minigames make a lot of sense, you are right about that.

Thanks for a constructive post Azdrubel. Yes, that mindset is typical, same thing with the hideout suggestions some years ago.

I agree that it doesn't have to be a divination card TCG (although I do think that it would make one hell of a minigame) and that it can be any minigame (fishing, rhoa fighting, hireling missions, various browser-like minigames and many more) which serves the purpose I talked about in the OP.
"
Azdrubel wrote:
As everyone is bashing on you and your idea for no other reason than "I don want ma game to be diff´rent, cuz I don like things that´re diff´rent"

No, that is NOT the only reason...and I wouldn't even say most people are "bashing on" the idea at all. Nor is everyone who disagrees with the OP "trolling" as they claim...

The main objection I and a few other people have raised is quite simple. GGG almost certainly does not have the resources to devote to both this sort of mini-game AND to providing more content for the actual game. I have yet to see any real counter to this argument except "other games have done it". Other games that were made by MUCH larger companies than GGG. I'm sure Blizzard or even Square Enix could easily pull enough people off of their main development teams to make a mini-game like that and not even notice it. They could probably have a team for those kinds of mini-games larger than GGG's ENTIRE staff and not worry. So far, the ENTIRE GGG staff is something like 55 people. Many of those are customer service, gm's, forum moderators etc. Maybe now that they have the new office and can expand staff a bit, things will change eventually, but I really don't see them having the ability to create and maintain an entire separate game within the game while still doing everything else they're trying to do.

So it'll come down to a question of which would you prefer:
1. They devote a lot of their time and resources to creating a mini-game within the game that only a small number of people are likely to spend much time playing and an even smaller number of people actually CARE about.
or
2. They put those resources into adding new acts, new items, and various other new content that most people DO want and for those people who want to play some kind of tcg as a break from the main game, let them choose from all the other options that are already out there.

I think most people would prefer the second option.
To further add to my point:

Number of GGG employees: 57
Number of Blizzard employees: 4,700 (As of 2012)

Last edited by Hodari on Jun 26, 2015, 5:36:19 PM
"
Hodari wrote:
"
Azdrubel wrote:
As everyone is bashing on you and your idea for no other reason than "I don want ma game to be diff´rent, cuz I don like things that´re diff´rent"

No, that is NOT the only reason...and I wouldn't even say most people are "bashing on" the idea at all. Nor is everyone who disagrees with the OP "trolling" as they claim...

The main objection I and a few other people have raised is quite simple. GGG almost certainly does not have the resources to devote to both this sort of mini-game AND to providing more content for the actual game. I have yet to see any real counter to this argument except "other games have done it". Other games that were made by MUCH larger companies than GGG. I'm sure Blizzard or even Square Enix could easily pull enough people off of their main development teams to make a mini-game like that and not even notice it. They could probably have a team for those kinds of mini-games larger than GGG's ENTIRE staff and not worry. So far, the ENTIRE GGG staff is something like 55 people. Many of those are customer service, gm's, forum moderators etc. Maybe now that they have the new office and can expand staff a bit, things will change eventually, but I really don't see them having the ability to create and maintain an entire separate game within the game while still doing everything else they're trying to do.

So it'll come down to a question of which would you prefer:
1. They devote a lot of their time and resources to creating a mini-game within the game that only a small number of people are likely to spend much time playing and an even smaller number of people actually CARE about.
or
2. They put those resources into adding new acts, new items, and various other new content that most people DO want and for those people who want to play some kind of tcg as a break from the main game, let them choose from all the other options that are already out there.

I think most people would prefer the second option.

Excluding the fact that you aren't the playerbase's representative in order to decide what "players want", if things were like you present them to be, there wouldn't be any hideout, decorations and many other things that add flavor to the game. A few years ago there were some people saying the same things about suggestions similar to the hideout we have now. Guess how that turned out.

"
Hodari wrote:
To further add to my point:

Number of GGG employees: 57
Number of Blizzard employees: 4,700 (As of 2012)

Funny, because these 57 employees created a game far more superior and way more complex compared to the game the "4700" employees of Blizzard created and you claim that they will have a hard time creating a minigame. I wouldn't say that's adding to your point - the opposite.
Last edited by RestInPieces on Jun 26, 2015, 5:56:39 PM
I never claimed I was a representative or anything. I'm allowed to give my opinion on it the same as you are. And yes, I'd agree that PoE is overall a superior game. But having a difference of two orders of magnitude in the number of employees IS going to mean there are some limits to how much GGG can do. Adding an entirely separate mini-game might not be completely impossible for them, but it is going to take a lot of work. I simply feel that those resources could be better spent elsewhere.

As for hideouts, I suspect the main reason they were able to include those was that a lot of the resources needed for it were already there to begin with. All of the artwork/tilesets/objects were already there for existing in-game assets(or stuff they were planning to add eventually). Even the editing system may have already been there in some form as what the developers were using to design the actual game maps. So all that might have been needed was taking the existing assets and modifying them a bit to something that they could allow players to use. That's still a long ways off from creating and maintaining what is effectively an entirely separate game.
"
Hodari wrote:
That's still a long ways off from creating and maintaining what is effectively an entirely separate game.

I agree. You make an absolutely undebatable point, because it WOULD require resources that could as well be spent on other new content.

But at least for me this comes down to something else. Because let´s be realistic, when you - and most other ppl on the forums - are talking about new content, you usually mean new acts and areas, new maps, new items - basically more of the same but "biggerer and betterer", which ironically strengthens my point that you don´t want your game to be different because you don´t like stuff that is different. Additionally, all that new stuff caters to one single group of players, the ones that like the endgame or want more endgame, as new acts means raised arealevels, more questrewards (primarily skill- and respecc-points) and faster xp-gain.

If I am honest I do not belong to that group. I get bored when my chars reach level 80, I get bored from maps, I get bored from running through the same area over and over again. I like the midgame though. Smashing stuff because I found a crazy new weapon, find another more optimal route on my skilltree that saves me one or two skillpoints...
I also liked low-lvl-dueling a lot, until it became infested with mirrored gear and legacy master-crafted shit. If I am honest, in retrospect I wish GGG had left PvP alone, so noone would have cared and we would still have a fun and easily accessible side-activity for when I am not in the mood for farming or rerolling.

You say those ressources could be spent on new content. I say that minigames WOULD be new content. I simply wish for overall MORE stuff to do instead of more of the same stuff to do. Have multiple easy minigames that, from a technical standpoint, can basically be copied 1:1 from any flashgame like chess or dice or poker or whatever, give it a PoE-look (dice carved from bones, cards made from monster- or banditskin, boards/tables/playingfields made from old weapons or crates), give us the option to bet against our opponent and there we go. I think those ressources would be well spent.

regards

edit: Those minigames could fairly easily be implemented into the already existing content. Like for example: assuming in Theopolis everyone was obsessed with playing dice simply add a few letters of exile saying "blah blah, exiled for serious crimes against our holy antique rulebook full of nonsense blah blah for gambling blah cheating with the dice blah blah manufacturing loaded dice blah" (easily doable as there is no voiceover anyways), then when we save Elena in act2 normal she invites us to a round of dice (as her personal way to thank us for saving her life she tries to rip us off; oh thanks kind woman!) and then the game goes "BOOM!" (sound of quest completed/achievement earned) and a text says "You can now challenge other players in town to play dice", have human monsters have a slim chance to drop pretty and rare dice (ofc not loaded ones) that you can bring to the table and show off. Then again in Act2 when we kill Captain-I-drop-no-shit and his friends to complete The Way Forward quest we find a chess-, checkers- or backgammon-set on his table, sidequest says "Bring this set to Eramir and he will teach you how to play [insert board game name]". Once we did that the screen goes BOOM again and text says "You can now challenge other players in town to [insert board game name]". I mean, the possibilities are like endless.
Hold on to yer shite load o´ bloody barnacles on me arse-cockles, me hearty!

IGN: Trapsdrubel
Last edited by Azdrubel on Jun 27, 2015, 2:53:03 AM
OP is right, look how well pvp turned out with the resources given
I agree OP. Mini collectable card game with nice artwork would be a nice break of the monotony and that's the only thing I could think of before they announced what they actually were.

It would have been nice. I don't know how to play Magic the gathering. and I wasn't even good at the Final Fantasy card game... but I like the idea of side quests and mini games or missions. Maybe in the future. It would be a great display of the art team and could make for some good interaction.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info