What if the notion of "legacy" didn't exist for standard leagues?

You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold dead hands.
Charan basically summed it all up quite nicely. The permanent leagues are basically compromises and nothing else. Anyone who thinks they are anything else or that GGG really bases any design decisions around them is fooling themselves.

PoE is a chaotic beast and it is always going to be changing. This has always been the way. You either embrace the changes or you make a lot of whine threads in the forums.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
"
The ideal player for GGG does not play Standard. Period.

We have a group of very stable Standard players. These are players who play nothing but Standard.

This group is very important for us, and they don't fluctuate with the coming and going of the temporary leagues.

We are very aware of these players, and the need to have content that pleases them, as well as content that pleases players who play only the new leagues.

Sometimes, when commenter wonder why we have done something that makes no sense to them, it is because that thing is not for them, but for a different player group.

"
Qarl wrote:
"

We have a group of very stable Standard players. These are players who play nothing but Standard.

This group is very important for us, and they don't fluctuate with the coming and going of the temporary leagues.

We are very aware of these players, and the need to have content that pleases them, as well as content that pleases players who play only the new leagues.

Sometimes, when commenter wonder why we have done something that makes no sense to them, it is because that thing is not for them, but for a different player group.

Well said ^.^
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
I think it's pretty hilarious that some folks are under the impression that standard players aren't "game," like hardcore players or streamers... GGG please feel to study my account and that of my brother... Anyways this stigma has to go ^.^
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Jun 24, 2015, 10:07:31 PM
"
Qarl wrote:
"

I appreciate the timely save, Q.
Spoiler
Things Picard would hate saying.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 24, 2015, 10:08:05 PM
it is an interesting take on legacies OP.

But I think you (and charan) are not considering a key pillar of the game when you are discussing why legacy items exist. Economy, essentially an upper echelon of economy that has fixed supply and attractive enough to retain mild actual demand.

These legacy items are more than balance or desire for no change, they are trophies and retain value both sentimental (too strong?) and economically greater than the benefits they give a character, especially in a ever shifting meta atmosphere. Or at least that's my take on part of their motivation at least, and the choices being just leaving them as well earned* trophies or fixing all the items by hand, I know which I would choose.

* either originally as a drop or by doing well enough economically to be able to buy one
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Jun 24, 2015, 10:42:02 PM
If.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"

Hang on, getting a bit dizzy from the spin.....

This is not something I often get accused of. I can assure I meant every word I said, my normal approach to avoid bluntness and unprofessional comments is to not post.

I play standard I collect items that is what I like. Every new league I play them for a week or two until I can get my hands on the new future legacy items I buy them then move back to standard.

I think expecting people to start over and over again is madness especially with such short time periods yet those short periods are there to cater to the streamers and other no lifers who play 8-10 more hours than people with jobs and family and you balance the game around the streamers instead of balancing it around the majority.

I play standard because I don't like losing progress. While Johny streamer corners the economy gets to level 100 in two weeks and chains uber atziri has more currency than he can turn into fg I can barely get a character to high maps. I don't buy items I don't flip I'm eternally poor in the leagues.

Most of my friends quit poe long ago when they come back they play the temporary leagues for a week or so then they quit again. I doubt any of them buy micro transactions anymore. The only reason I've played so long is my ocd got to catch them all uniques behavior compounded with my refusal to buy them. I only buy them when there is no other way or would cost too much not to since I'm not made of currency: leagues specific ones, or already legacy ones.

GGG treatment of standard players has been horrible inconsistent and erratic some items get legacy some get changed with no rime or reason except the old technical difficulties but it's been so long it's clear if they wanted to chance it they would have by now but they don't because we're clearly not important enough. The 10 guys who do pvp are more important than a quarter of the playerbase. Mirrors and eternal orbs which only have bad effect in standard are a disgrace the standard economy which is not getting enough players anymore like it used to (probably symptomatic of the entire game) is a joke most items have no value except like 10 uniques a few corruptions and the mirrored items who you could never buy unless you played decades or flipped like there is no tomorrow.

And yet I still play standard because for all its faults all the thrid rate citizen status ggg bestows upon it there is no better alternative for me and those like me.
Last edited by Avu on Jun 25, 2015, 12:52:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info