[outdated] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+)

Hi there. Haven't played in a long time and looking for some advice. I've been following your Pure Bow leveling progression, and am at the point where you suggest "Golem's Blood" (for HP) or "Corruption" (for more Chaos damage).
From the most recent changes, Corruption has been moved on the tree, and is not really reachable. What would you suggest as a good alternative?

Thanks!
"
Shearscape wrote:

Also, regarding body armours: is Belly a decent option as well? I feel a little on the low side for life and was wondering how it stacked up compared to Carcass Jack.

if you follow mf setup it's pointless, as you really dont get alot of hp to scale on rings, boots and often amulet
i will use kaoms, as soon as i find a way to fit 191 str req
belly adds more hp than rare ofc, but i wouldn't consider that as final option
No rest for the wicked
Last edited by mezmery on Dec 24, 2015, 7:37:11 AM
Somewhat off topic question for those pursing challenges...

How are you guys leveling your masters (and in particular Zana)? Soloing? Running with guild mates? Or running with PUGs?

/global 820
No rest for the wicked
"
Shearscape wrote:
Also, regarding body armours: is Belly a decent option as well? I feel a little on the low side for life and was wondering how it stacked up compared to Carcass Jack.

Hi Shearscape:

If you're in Standard/Standard Talisman league, my advice is to stick with evasion (or Iron Reflexes if you prefer) as a form of defense and find a decent, rare evasion chestpiece with life and resists.

The resists are especially valuable as you level your character and improve your gear. Resists on your chestpiece will allow you to run more magic find and thus will enable you to accumulate wealth faster.

I wouldn't recommend BoTB or for that matter Kaom's as a Standard/ Standard Talisman player.

If, however, you are playing in hardcore, where one death means starting over... well, then, I'd start with a high evasion chest piece and move to a Lightning Coil. Havoc (#2 to 100 in Tempest) amply demonstrated the viability of Lightning Coil last league.

As a Warband's player in the last league, I used a Lightning Coil just to level to 90 (not magic finding while doing so) and found that the increase in survivability was huge (but, due to the additional pressure on resists, I wouldn't recommend this setup for magic finding in Standard/Standard Talisman).
---------

If you're in Standard Talisman, I think your eventual goal should be a Carcass Jack. But to equip a CJ you'll either need a nice +3 bow sporting a bunch of resists or a fairly high level character with a bunch of jewel passives (to get resists on jewels).

Serleth can likely offer even more advice on the above... I never did advance my Warbands character in terms of equipment to the point where I could equip Carcass Jack.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Dec 24, 2015, 11:40:13 AM
"
Shearscape wrote:
Hey all, hope you're all enjoying your holiday.

I had a question regarding the pierce cluster on the tree. Is there a reason why you go for the 5% pierce / 5% projdmg instead of the 10% projectile damage route? Shouldn't these be equivalent in damage? Or is it scaled differently? It feels like just grabbing the 30% notable faster would be better if they're the same, so I figured there was some scaling I didn't understand.

Level 95 build, can afford to do it.

Secondly, utility. Extra 10% pierce means it's easier to thread an arrow into those annoying invulnerable aura packs.

Maximum Life = (38 + (Level * LifePerLevel) + (Strength / 2) + flat life bonuses) * (100% + percent-based modifiers), with 12 life gained per level

In a finished level 95 build, you're getting 45 life from Drillneck, 80 life from both your helmet and gloves, let's say 90 life from your belt, and 65 life from your amulet. Ideally. Those are the only sources of flat life, for a net total of 270, not including your chest. Let's deal with averages numbers to compare Carcass Jack and Belly (60 flat versus 35%). Assuming no strength on gear and four jewels with 5% life:

Carcass = (38 + (95*12) + (164/2) + 330 + 58 flat life off tree (if I've done my math right)) * (100% + 167%)
= (38 + 1140 + 82 + 330 + 58) * 2.67
= 4400 life

Belly = (38 + (95*12) + (164/2) + 270 + 58) * (100% + 167% + 35%)
= 1588 * 3.02
= 4795 life

So, strictly in terms of life gained, sure, Belly's worth it, but remember it's predominantly an armour chest better used with Iron Reflexes rather than Acrobatics. Without quality, Carcass Jack adds 607 evasion compared to the 181 flat of Belly.

Even on its own, including no other modifiers to evasion (dexterity adding % evasion, % evasion off tree, % evasion from Frenzy charges) it's pretty clear that as an Acro character, you're still better served with -400 life with greater evasion than you are a minimum amount of additional armour and higher life at the cost of 607 evasion. That's the lowest roll, without quality, which when modified by the above evasion % figures (69% + 72% from dex + 4% * 7 frenzy charges = 169% = 1632 evasion from Carcass. I'm not sure exactly what that translates to in terms of chance to evade in the game but IIRC it's about 10%. That's huge.

In short, use Belly if you're fine with less AoE and you're using IR. Otherwise, stick with Carcass.

"
From the most recent changes, Corruption has been moved on the tree, and is not really reachable. What would you suggest as a good alternative?

Dirty Techniques.

Also, the leveling guides are out of date, as I stated on that post, just so you're aware that you're kind of adjusting it on the fly, on your own.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Dec 24, 2015, 2:23:31 PM
Yeah, I should have noted that I'm using IR currently, so the armor is actually pretty nice.

Serleth, did you see that the % Inc. Evasion Rating and Armour stacking is broken with IR (as in, it double-dips)? Does this change anything in gearing / passives?
"
Shearscape wrote:
Yeah, I should have noted that I'm using IR currently, so the armor is actually pretty nice.

Serleth, did you see that the % Inc. Evasion Rating and Armour stacking is broken with IR (as in, it double-dips)? Does this change anything in gearing / passives?

It shouldn't double dip. What should be happening is that your evasion rating flat is modified by eva %, then converted to IR, without the dex bonus.

I'd have to investigate further but no it doesn't change anything. The build isn't intended to invest in defense.
Last edited by Serleth on Dec 24, 2015, 2:47:51 PM
"
Serleth wrote:
"
Shearscape wrote:

It shouldn't double dip. What should be happening is that your evasion rating flat is modified by eva %, then converted to IR, without the dex bonus.

I'd have to investigate further but no it doesn't change anything. The build isn't intended to invest in defense.

Right, but see here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3xz4nu/psa_iron_reflexes_actually_double_dips_increased/

I realize that's how it's supposed to work, but it seems to be double-dipping at present.
"
Shearscape wrote:
Right, but see here:

I realize that's how it's supposed to work, but it seems to be double-dipping at present.

Interesting.

Anyway, they'll fix that, it's not intended. So don't plan around it.
Last edited by Serleth on Dec 24, 2015, 4:23:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info