How many ppl on "Probation" before they give up?

Every probation of me so far ended up in an e-mail correspondence.

And usually it's because of lack of context.

My last probation was for asking somebody

"why did you post?"

And this was deemed dismissive of his arguments.

All fine, until you realize that dude just entered a thread and posted a two-liner insulting the GGG balance team and going off-topic (his post had nothing to do with the thread i created)

so instead of a dismissive "why did you post?" it was actually an honest question. I was really curious to his motivations for posting such drivel.

So i wrote an e-mail to support and provided them with feedback about there moderation.

I don't mind being probated if the reason is justified. Wanna lash out = gotta take the heat if you do.

I do mind a probation when there is no valid grounds for it. It's tricky on the forums though, context is hard sometimes.

And i have this feeling some of the newer moderators don't know me yet :'(.

They honestly believe i am capable of being disrespectful on purpose, the shame. If i wanna be disrespectful, people will realize it and i won't be hiding it between double edged sentences.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
^well some empathy seems in order though, i can totally understand them missing the context some-times.

My one complaint though is that usually a quick [edited by support] would suffice with a follow up PM asking for an explanation.

If a sufficient explanation cannot be formed, a probation should follow.

I think that would solve a lot of the context misunderstandings.

Then again, that's a lot of following up and as such funds. Not sure if that's the way to spend those funds.

Ill take those 1 day probation's if it saves GGG cash :), as long as i know my intent was pure and justified i am not really bothered by it.

I just send a mail explaining my intent, so it's clear to GGG for future events.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I got probation for referring to FullBlownDaddy in his own unique style of speaking. They thought I was trying to provoke him. They didn't know him or me, and judged me on how I said something.
Just stopping by to say that the PoE forums are a breath of fresh air compared to a certain Halo forum that I have been posting at. I have never been probated on the PoE forum and I'm really not bragging about that because there were a few times that I wouldn't have been surprised if I had been probated. I feel the mods are very fair and they respond to your questions promptly and professionally.

On that Halo forum I swear they will ban you for minor/strange reasons and then when you try to plead your case or follow their process to appeal the decision you are straight up ignored.
Standard Forever
I think it's basically that they don't want us referring to each other personally. Anything I say about player X could be taken as "provoking" or "demeaning" or "criticism".

Just don't talk about anyone... even the person you're talking about.
"
"
ghamadvar wrote:

+1

It is funny that many people who always said "GGG is so indy, is so small and so cool with their community" now blame GGG for being courageous. For being brave enough to change something. And even now connecting with the community. It seems like GGG has only been cool for "these" people when everything was as they wished. Now, where things change for the masses (i would say), those "diehard"-fans vanish. "Lakers-Fans" i will call them ;)

Good analogy.

I'll add one.

To me, the whole situation reminds me of a kid that favored one "cool" parent because they were more lenient in the rules. Then, when the little whippersnapper pushed the line too far, the lenient parent suddenly becomes stricter than the other, and all of a sudden is not "cool" anymore.

You win ;)

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
Boem wrote:
And i have this feeling some of the newer moderators don't know me yet

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
They didn't know him or me, and judged me on how I said something.

And this is how it should be. Moderation should be based equally on what is said, not who has said it. And even if a moderator does know you and knows that something you've said isn't meant to be offensive, if it will come across as offensive to any user who doesn't know you, then there is grounds for moderation.

"
Like everyone knows good ol BMBI1 is harmless and just here for the giggles

Harmless to who though? While I'm fairly sure from reading many of your posts that you have no malicious intentions, you have made countless posts in these forums that basically contribute nothing to the forums. These posts, while harmless in themselves, can have a massive effect on the signal to noise ratio here, which harms the forums themselves, even if it doesn't directly harm any individual.
I didn't mean that I should skate because of who I am. I meant that the joke was that I adopted a different style of post to inject humor in a situation that used the manner in which a different poster routinely posts as contrast to how I usually post.

They took literally, instead of in the (obvious to most) humor that it was intended.
"
LennyLen wrote:
Harmless to who though? While I'm fairly sure from reading many of your posts that you have no malicious intentions, you have made countless posts in these forums that basically contribute nothing to the forums. These posts, while harmless in themselves, can have a massive effect on the signal to noise ratio here, which harms the forums themselves, even if it doesn't directly harm any individual.

Don't want to agree or disagree. Thing is: There were occasions where BMBI's postings seemed to be without a deeper purpose. But still: He often takes the hot air out of some inflated discussions. Don't know if this is intentional. But it very often works (for me). Otherwise: "Too much Schwarzenegger sometimes provokes the predators" ;)

edit: too much praise ;))
Last edited by ghamadvar on Jun 15, 2015, 12:31:28 PM
It is a good thing. There were occasions were discussions were super-serious (for me). And i tried to be more serious than necessary. Or good for me. It was not that i was writing something. Just reading some shit around here made me angry or running on steam. And sometimes you posted some stuff. Arnold, a one-liner, something. And it made "paff" and all my/the fake seriousness was gone. I appreciate that, even if i am not sure if this is intended.

Anyways: this is part of the "too much praise" shit. So i'll stop it here ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info