The forums aren't fun anymore

"
FadeXF wrote:
Having someone call you point blank a "fucker" and not seeing them get probation for it was just irritating... I find myself very often on the side of... how to say this... not bashing GGG, but disagreeing with them on certain points and aspects of their game. In opening my yapper about those points, what I think was happening is that "old GGG moderation" were letting "pro GGG" posters sort of volley at will at me. I tested this theory I had and I saw myself getting probation for using the exact same verbage that was used against me...
I just want to confirm this from the opposite perspective. I've deliberately repeated content I saw (briefly) in censored posts, just to see what happened to me. The answer is: nothing. Privileged status confirmed.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
personally i miss ino, dirk, bmbi,charan and charan jadem,wretch,moonyu and all other active forum poster, at least nait is still with us :D
Aye Aye Captain!
"
Xenocidius wrote:
After reading alot of threads like this one, I'm still wondering what solutions you guys are proposing?

I read the guidelines and I find them fine.
My guess is there has been a lot of internal talk about possible guidelines, brainstorming sessions, etc. and as a result some mods are confused about which guidelines are actually in effect. I've seen numerous instances of moderator action recently which haven't fallen within the guidelines at all.

For instance, during a discussion about whether it is okay for developers to be hypocritical or not (a surprising diversion from the usual question of whether they are or not - some said it's okay for devs to be hypocritical sometimes), someone asked me if I go around telling kids Santa isn't real. My response was:
"
You joke about this, but this is something me and my ex have argued about. The agreement we worked out is that she tells the bullshit and I shut up about it. I've never told my children that Santa Claus is real or bringing presents or whatnot, and I introduce the Night Before Christmas as a story. This isn't to say I've never lied to my kids - we all make mistakes - but I go to lengths to avoid institutionalizing lying to them. I don't see how people are comfortable with it.
The post was deleted. Not censored - outright wiped.

For the life of me, I can't find anything anti-guidelines about it, so I'd be flabbergasted if it was deleted twice.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 20, 2015, 5:58:11 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Xenocidius wrote:
After reading alot of threads like this one, I'm still wondering what solutions you guys are proposing?

I read the guidelines and I find them fine.
My guess is there has been a lot of internal talk about possible guidelines, brainstorming sessions, etc. and as a result some mods are confused about which guidelines are actually in effect. I've seen numerous instances of moderator action recently which haven't fallen within the guidelines at all.

I'm guessing there might be a little confusion regarding the "Transition Grace Period" that was outlined in the new guidelines post.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Wait... wait a sec... Santa Claus isn't real?
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

God....no...
What I find funny about all this is that I still havent seen some well known trolls that use the good ol' bait thread get what they deserve. Instead they will bait a little every so often until someone calls them out and then that person will suffer the consequences im sure. Me, im not even bothering to.

Now regarding trolling, some usual faces were trolling, some were joking, some did gave constructive criticism once in a while.
Mods seem to just find it easier to swipe them off the forums instead of picking each individually and seeing if that person is actually trolling or not. Tell me who exactly was Arnold hurting with his roleplay? "oh no he posted a picture of Schwarzeneger flexing, better report him, cause he said "do you even lift bro?", that was clearly a malicious post and not some stupid persona roleplay meant to liven up the forums that only the most special of snowflakes would feel hurt by.
Oblivious
But I actually don't lift. Must he constantly haunt me with reminders of my shame?
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I get it now. I was discriminating against the 9-year-olds who do Lunaris runs.
"
jooozek wrote:
I referenced to "game of thrones" as a bad tv series. My post was deleted. Can't even have opinions here.

I looked into this, and you're right. That comment shouldn't have been removed. However, the action was taken prior to the forum guidelines changing and talking to the support team. I hope that these kinds of issues will start to be resolved as we set into a place a new set of internal guidelines. If you find something like that is happening - please contact me! I'll look into it.

"

I'm confident that things will perk up again - but it won't happen on its own. We need to work at it by testing the limits of the rules, engaging with Bex and her team, and continuing to challenge each other as we've always done so the boundaries can be clearly identified.

Bex has a big part to play in this by communicating and being transparent about probations and [RBS] - not just for the benefit of the people impacted, but also with the forums as a whole so we can establish where the lines are.

Things were a little quiet prior to the guidelines going in, as some people are more active in the beta forum or they're busy testing deterministic lockstep! I'm confident things will pick up again.

Please do engage the team. Talking to you guys is the best way for us to find the right line for the Forum Guidelines. At the moment, they are slightly harsher than intended, but for now I'm okay with that. It's good to find the upper limit of what's too severe so we know where it is and can pull it back to a comfortable place while keeping the core intention of the changes.

I'll do my best to be as transparent as I can with these changes. I think making sure that players have the information they need about the transition will go a long way to making it smoother and more successful.

"
Xenocidius wrote:

I read the guidelines and I find them fine. Only this part can be hard to interpret and can "ruin" some fun :
"

Examples of this would include, "TLDR", "Lol" in response to a question asking for help, "Just keep telling yourself whatever lets you sleep at night.", "Did not read".

Just to clarify the "lol" response as dismissive - this only applies when laughter is kind of inappropriate to the thread. For example, if a new player comes in and asks a question that's quite obvious to people who have played the game for a while but they genuinely don't know the answer, and someone comes into the thread and is just like "LOL" - that to me is dismissive and quite rude.

However, if there's a thread that's actually funny, and all you post is "Lol" - that's totally fine. That's like a + 1 to the thread.

"
MaxTheLimit wrote:

At the moment, things are obviously changing. I think this is just a bit of a 'feeling out' period where the moderation is going to be a bit uneven until enough example situations are out there that Bex can point her team to. In the few interactions I've had with her, Bex seems to be quite reasonable. I'm sure she isn't trying to make this place less fun, but rather a more welcoming place for the players out there.

Thanks for your support, Max! This is indeed a feeling out period where things are going to be a little rough. I am working on finding examples of where the forum guidelines aren't working as intended or are too overbearing so that we can find a balance and settle things in the correct place.

"
FadeXF wrote:
It would be very interesting to see some sort of fub forum "flame war" section of some kind - no holds barred, extremely minimum moderation - and allowing people to just duke it out.

I just don't know how that would work out though. It's just an interesting idea.

I'll give this some serious consideration. I have some concerns about it, but it may be worth while. It's been suggested in the past but it's possible now might be a better time for it.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:

I laughed. Thank you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info