Plz buff Kaoms Heart back to 1000.

I still stand by my previous point about the 30% life node nerf over the last few patches. They had the item right the 1st time.

1000 life is a great bonus for no resist, global defense scaling and sockets period.

Armor is useless due to the scaling formula and the fact that it only mitigates physical damage.

I think legacy is the way it should be now.

No excuse not to. Unless you want to add 30% reduced incoming spell damage to the item. or 10-15% global reduced incoming damage. Belly will outshine this armor in terms of effectiveness. Notability the linked sockets and faster flask recovery with resist.
We'll just have to disagree then. I think the only thing Kaom's is missing is mitigation, which is probably best accomplished by adding more armor to it. I'm doing just fine without it by the way, 7885 armor before my granite, running 6 endurance charges. I am a bit skeptical of how my build will fare in the 2.0 maps, we'll just have to see when the expansion is released.

Edit: I decided to add another reason I might disagree here. You stated that flask recovery is a big deal, so lets talk about that versus my roughly extra 1k life.

The best flasks in the game, for instant recovery anyway are seething divine life flasks. I personally prefer sapping eternals, so lets see them both.
Spoiler

The seething divine life flask at 20Q is 979 life, straight up. My sapping eternal life flask is only 873.5 life, but it can last for 4 seconds. So it's got a little more utility.

My regen rate is about 6%:
Without chest I regen: 412.1 life/sec
With belly I regen: 455.4 life/sec
With Kaom's I regen: 516.4 life/sec

Based on pure flask versus my regen, my regen is actually about half a life flask. You have 50% more life flask recovery, while I have half a life flask on me constantly. An extra 60 life/sec doesn't sound imposing enough? Well maybe it isn't. But I'm only at 6% life regen. Some builds have 11% life regen, RF. Almost doubling my regen would mean that I get your flask every second. Granted if I did that, I'd have almost no dps nodes.

So I don't see the extra flask charge generation quintessential, because if I need to spam my pot more than 6 times during a fight (I always carry two life flasks), I'm doing something very very wrong, and am probably dead anyway.

And this is without even contemplating the effects of my 1k life on leech. Having an extra 1k life on my leech will give me an extra 200 life per second rate, based on the base life leech rate. With a 20Q life leech (which I use) it'll give me 240 life per second more. So, thats about a little under a quarter of a flask per second more regeneration to having that extra life.

Tell me again, how is belly doing me any favors? The elemental resistance? I can take the Diamond skin node from marauder and still have the benefit of either 2-3 extra fire damage nodes (average 10-12%) from wearing my Kaom's.
Last edited by ghoulavenger on Jun 5, 2015, 5:51:48 AM
"
Tell me again, how is belly doing me any favors? The elemental resistance? I can take the Diamond skin node from marauder and still have the benefit of either 2-3 extra fire damage nodes (average 10-12%) from wearing my Kaom's.

Becuase you are saving 1 node point on the tree. End game 85+ each point matters. extra flask Regen is utility. but not game breaking still very nice to have. What kills you most is the fact that you cant have a 5/6link. Signature mod or not. Excluding the fact that its Uber rare...

Having an additional 5/6link can make another powerful attack skill. Or you can make another utility skill that can proc curses and enduring cry when damage is taken. The big downside on my small list in the previous post is the sockets.... Belly is way better in terms of price for performance.

Do i think belly needs a nerf, hell no it does an excellent job. Do i think Koams needs a Buff, hell yea because 30% extra fire dmg and the life bonus is not worth the sockets lost for an item of that rarity. I would take a yellow shirt with resist and 80+life or belly over it. The fact that you need 1/3 hell maybe 1/2 of your points into life nodes to make it scale better says the buff isn't needed otherwise?

I have no qualms against blood magic, i use it for attack skills while reserving mana for auras. What i do hate about it though is the removal of mana even though you get that lusty keystone behind it. Still lose 1/3 of your life running 2 auras.

"
So I don't see the extra flask charge generation quintessential, because if I need to spam my pot more than 6 times during a fight (I always carry two life flasks), I'm doing something very very wrong, and am probably dead anyway.

No mate you are doing nothing wrong at all... This does and will happen. BM marauders do not evade well. Plus if you play an end game map with damage modifiers on it, regardless of the armor you have, you will still lose 1/4 of your life minimum on hit. When a monster gets a double or triple hit in which they can, or a busty critical hit, you will be dead before you know it, life regen or not.
"
Theporter wrote:

Becuase you are saving 1 node point on the tree. End game 85+ each point matters. extra flask Regen is utility. but not game breaking still very nice to have. What kills you most is the fact that you cant have a 5/6link. Signature mod or not. Excluding the fact that its Uber rare...

The one node on the tree I take, is worth 3-4 nodes at 10-12% from Kaom's in fire damage scaling. This is a no brainer for me, since I scale fire damage. I will agree that the signature mod on Kaom's is annoying anyway, because it makes Kaom's more niche, but that is the price you pay for the 500 life super mod. Changing this to 1000 life will not make any significant difference on this penalty, this penalty will remain. This is something that you'll have to deal with regardless.
"
Theporter wrote:

The big downside on my small list in the previous post is the sockets.... Belly is way better in terms of price for performance.

Considering how much Kaom's has come down in price I'm not sure if I agree with you. I can buy a 6L belly for 25-30 exalts, but I can buy a Kaom's for 6-10 exalts. Kaom's will still have a significant advantage for my build over that 6L belly. If you're going for a 5 link though, it is more competitive.
"
Theporter wrote:

The fact that you need 1/3 hell maybe 1/2 of your points into life nodes to make it scale better says the buff isn't needed otherwise?

You're suggesting that I specced into life nodes to make Kaom's better? I specced into life nodes because I am playing a blood magic build. I need that life so I can use my spells effectively, period. It'd be like saying that a mana based build should invest nothing into mana. This is a non-argument.

For the typical person though, yes, I don't expect Kaom's to always be the best option. But when it is, it shines far stronger than belly could. But if you want to make me a 10k life build by buffing Kaom's back up to 1000, who am I to argue. I think it is unnecessary though.
"
Theporter wrote:

I have no qualms against blood magic, i use it for attack skills while reserving mana for auras. What i do hate about it though is the removal of mana even though you get that lusty keystone behind it. Still lose 1/3 of your life running 2 auras.

Seeing as I brought up blood magic, I guess I can talk about it, briefly. Blood magic as a keystone is probably more desirable to a caster than an attack based build, for the most part. Blood magic is an alternative for mana hungry spells to stacking insane mana regeneration. Because it requires high life to be used effectively for a non-low life build it is also extremely survivable without any auras whatsoever. And I use none. I always felt that the mortal conviction node was more of a gimmick for low life characters than a help.

So it isn't for everybody and I understand that the blood magic gem can be more desirable for aura stacking. Sometimes people with attack based builds can also make up the difference with mana leech on a ring. This is just not feasible for me.
"
Theporter wrote:

No mate you are doing nothing wrong at all... This does and will happen. BM marauders do not evade well. Plus if you play an end game map with damage modifiers on it, regardless of the armor you have, you will still lose 1/4 of your life minimum on hit. When a monster gets a double or triple hit in which they can, or a busty critical hit, you will be dead before you know it, life regen or not.

I play maps with extra damage and extra projectiles all the time. I have unwavering stance so I get crit almost constantly. By your explanation I'd die before I ever cleared a 78. You're not putting near enough emphasis on mitigation. Life, just like ES cannot stand on its own. Most of my deaths are my own negligence, a couple here and there to desync with about as many to one shot mechanics (which with my life pool sometimes I survive).

This is why I suggested it needed more mitigation anyway. As a base glorious plate it's mitigation is fine for cruel, debatable in merciless, and horrible in maps. But this is a level 68 requirement item, which is basically end game gear. For end game gear the mitigation is atrocious, and I have had to make concessions to try to make other parts of my gear better to compensate.
Last edited by ghoulavenger on Jun 5, 2015, 5:11:12 PM
As a base glorious plate it's mitigation is fine for cruel, debatable in merciless, and horrible in maps. But this is a level 68 requirement item, which is basically end game gear. For end game gear the mitigation is atrocious, and I have had to make concessions to try to make other parts of my gear better to compensate.

Mitigation is an issue due to high damage and monster crit mult. I made an experimental build using lightning coil legacy saffells, purity of lightning. with all the life and armor stacking use nodes and iron reflexes. I even tried to get MOM in the mix but i couldn't get enough mana regen to make it usable. Scion template. Needless to say melee build.

The armors mitigation formula is useless. a 1500 armored garb won't protect you from 1 shots. But a huge life pool will. Life scales way better than armor ever will, because you can take more damage from all sources, not just physical. My scion was able to tank fine for level 71 maps. But higher end maps with any form of a damage multiplier she got destroyed. In part she was level 74 which can be a hindrance. But for all the vestment in defense, i had abysmal clear speeds, and 1 shot tables became 2 at best.

MY level 90 armor bow/crit ranger has 3.6k life 12k armor using grace iron reflexes. 3.6% life regen in passive nodes with 1 to max frenzy charge blood dances. 7% added additional life regen. Aura stacked, armor buffed moderately. decent life pool. I still die in 2 shots when i get hit in high level maps. I use rearguard to block, lions eye for speed and always hit.

The life bonus is needed. that 10k pool will protect you from 1 extra crit hit. i was never a fan of 90-100% increased monster dmg as a random element, nor reduced max resist and 30% increased monster dmg. that's adding 3-4k attack dmg before resistances are in play.

some maps i roll unfortunatley have all 3 on them and i go WTF!!!!. one palace map i rolled once had combo reflect and half regen =/..........
Actually, mitigation is more of an issue when dealing with packs then it is dealing with one shot mechanics. One shot mechanics mostly ignore mitigation, but if you stacked no mitigation whatsoever, you'd die to white packs almost immediately. Ask some ES builds. It's why they like artic armour so much.

As far as your 3.6k life character, I think that one is far too low life to see high level maps. I believe 5500 is the recommended minimum for 78s. Which actually isn't too hard to pull, it just costs dps. Which was one of the attractive points I made about blood magic. Why stack mana when you can stack life?

But you're right, assuming it was a 1500 AR piece which is pretty significant, it still wouldn't help very much against one shots. Armor has a diminishing returns formula. The higher the damage done, the harder it is to mitigate. Which makes the soul of steel cluster extremely worthwhile just for that extra 4% damage reduction.

Against one shot mechanics there are only two real viable defenses, absorb it (requires an absolutely unbelievable life pool sometimes even my 8,465 doesn't cut it) or dodge it (this includes block, dodge, spell dodge, spell block, and evasion -- none of which will necessarily work).
"
As far as your 3.6k life character, I think that one is far too low life to see high level maps. I believe 5500 is the recommended minimum for 78s. Which actually isn't too hard to pull, it just costs dps. Which was one of the attractive points I made about blood magic. Why stack mana when you can stack life?(/quote)

I tried, i have about 100% increase in life, all the ranger life nodes/evasion. duelist life and regen wheel. Shadows life nodes. MY problem is the travel distance needed to get the bow and crit nodes. That and needing to sink some pts into evasion just for extra armor. I have a decent tree i would like to link hers. Ill see what i can do.

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40ILu2DGY4AXtN-73rnCgqbeOv8xVb6OdR313b3Mfp_KzB8jX0j9k2SveY-z1FHyqldaJrxCImVBW1s53To1gW1jb-ly7VIcFIqC_PqH0EGIxa_Ax5VS2HiJpWMNmyMnao2Pd0NwTOGziF2W68ppU4qdcu3to1-tkHqYr6nvTZlTYTZR36E7xvIQzF07SfVYEsFLVO7v9VaGm5p1fhiWiSd_rp9dcHYqKKq-F5FkvP66-dUJP3_3s3qm7Ui6hqP9tr7CRmKsTC1CHGhj0-gn6_rzZiJ03DV

I might unspec the ias node the 2 crit nodes a the proj dmg speed but still 1 short for thick skin. ill link gear later when i figure out how to do so.

Ranger gear in previous post.

Frenzy bow, blood armored ranger life regen build.
Interesting build. I'm not so hot with bow characters to be honest but I can't see any real obvious flaws. There are two easy life clusters within reach though, revenge of the hunted, and thick skin. You also probably don't need master of the arena, or that .6% life regen node (which you can swap for a 5% life node), and you'd still have a respectable 2% life regen. Take that master of the arena, and swap it for that 6% life node in the blood drinker wheel. Beyond that, I have no real suggestions, I'm surprised you're having any trouble with this build though, it looks fine to me. Definitely not a candidate for Kaom's though. An EVA chest would get far better mitigation, and with your build belly might actually be just as good (and has more mitigation than Kaom's because of iron reflexes).

This is what my current build looks like:
Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAAecEBwSzBg4J9gxfDc0OPBBYFCAUTRZvGJEZLho4Gj4abBv6HKcczh8CJKol3ycvJ-0pLiqNK1AsnC3SMjQ1kjbFNtg26TpSOlg62DrhPC09Dz38SRtM_03jUEdTpVWpVcZXDVeUWGNfP2jyagFyqXasfLh99YIHgpuD24dljM-QVZHOl7SaO52uns2fy6IApBmmV6cIpzCsmK2Nr2yvt7Ystz68n8BmxPbGrsbYz37SIdR81abYJNi92WHZfN-_4XPjauQi7DjsVe087w7wH_Fs8azyL_JB8kX2SPxL_gr-VP6P

Last edited by ghoulavenger on Jun 5, 2015, 6:22:33 PM
"
Interesting build. I'm not so hot with bow characters to be honest but I can't see any real obvious flaws. There are two easy life clusters within reach though, revenge of the hunted, and thick skin. You also probably don't need master of the arena, or that .6% life regen node (which you can swap for a 5% life node), and you'd still have a respectable 2% life regen. Take that master of the arena, and swap it for that 6% life node in the blood drinker wheel. Beyond that, I have no real suggestions, I'm surprised you're having any trouble with this build though, it looks fine to me. Definitely not a candidate for Kaom's though. An EVA chest would get far better mitigation, and with your build belly might actually be just as good (and has more mitigation than Kaom's because of iron reflexes).

Not entirely, spell and elemental to me is what gets me with the modifiers. Physical does too to an extent. I did the math for what i need at best i will hit 4k life getting the thick skin wheel since i have no need for additional wasted nodes in travel.

The life regen to me is extremely important, since i attack using it really fast. I have master of the arena for needed strength, life regen is a bonus i gladly accept and need. With life regen and leech, i always run about full health unless i hit a half regen map which nodes will somewhat protect me.

Mitigation problem goes back to the absurd dmg and one shot mechanics. White mobs get me on dmg modifer maps, lvl 78 bosses i try to avoid, unless i am in Farming mode.

RNG has not allowed me to get a 2000 evasion garb with high life and resist so i am using that armor.

If i were u, i would un spec the fire walker section, take those 5 points and get the general elemental dmg nodes so you can get Celestial judgement and punishment. 25% total dmg added for a status inducement would add so much dmg on top of the resistance penetration =).
Last edited by Theporter on Jun 5, 2015, 6:39:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info