Legacy items are bullshit

That whole menatality is completely beyond my comprehension. Maybe I'm just easy going, but I'd never consider quitting or not trying something based on what anybody else has. I have fun just playing and working with what I have and it never enters my mind that my gear isn't as good as what somebody else has.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
That whole menatality is completely beyond my comprehension. Maybe I'm just easy going, but I'd never consider quitting or not trying something based on what anybody else has. I have fun just playing and working with what I have and it never enters my mind that my gear isn't as good as what somebody else has.

Such is life for people to always be envious of what others have.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Consider the fellow whose PoE time is roughly equivalent to a weekly movie. 1.5 to 2.5 hours a week. Maybe 10 hours a month. Oh, and he doesn't like rerolling, he wants to make it to level 100, even if it takes a long time.

What league does he play? Perhaps he starts in a temp league, but eventually, inevitably, Standard. He doesn't put in the hours to finish in time, or anywhere close.

How does he feel about legacy items? Perhaps not much at first... until or unless it happens to him. The item he was theorycrafting around gets announced, it's on the nerf chopping block. The economy reacts instantly and prices soar beyond what he can trade for, if he's even paying attention to patch notes. His dream is, if not shattered, at least tarnished.

I don't know if I'd call players like that "new," but those are the ones who leave because of legacies. It's not so much about jealousy, but about theorycrafting sent back to the drawing board, for a player who has neither time nor desire to start over. As I've said before (after snorkle_uk enlightened me), the unifying desire of the Standard demographic is permanence and stability, with a side of hating rerolls. It is making items legacy in the present or future tense which pretty much shits on the essense of Standard.

Although some characters have been deleted and some players have quit, I can only imagine how many Standard characters are unused and collecting dust in response to a legacy-induced ragequit which effected that character's planned build. I believe the unneerfing of legacies would draw at least some players back to finish what they've abandoned. And I could not imagine anything which the Standard community would appreciate more than GGG's solemn promise that an item which drops in Standard league will never stop dropping in Standard league, guaranteed to be available when one gets around to earning it, and fully safe to plan your build around.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 25, 2015, 1:38:38 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:

Well I know a lot of people (in and outside of PoE) who wouldn't ever consider trying pure p2w games for that exact reason (what other people have in that game). Even if you can have fun without paying there. Thus I don't think that mentality is very rare here.
"
I believe the unneerfing of legacies would draw at least some players back to finish what they've abandoned. And I could not imagine anything which the Standard community would appreciate more than GGG's solemn promise that an item which drops in Standard league will never stop dropping in Standard league, guaranteed to be available when one gets around to earning it, and fully safe to plan your build around.

Thats a lot of words for something I'm not entirely sure your point or goal is.

Are you suggesting that GGG not create "legacy items" in the traditional since of nerfing all future drops of said items, but rather only nerfing drops in temp leagues?

I don't think GGG's intention is to promote standard gameplay, especially vs the temp leagues. If GGG wasn't so focused hard on changing the meta then we wouldn't have what seems like over 100 legacy items or mods by now. Instead they focus so hard on balancing everything, instead of IMO focusing on what they SHOULD balance which is the tree, monsters and gems.

I've never really understood this idea of nerfing ITEMS as you said it makes it difficult for people to plan\build around.

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
Are you suggesting that GGG not create "legacy items" in the traditional since of nerfing all future drops of said items, but rather only nerfing drops in temp leagues?
Mostly. I believe in VERY rare circumstances they might need to bugfix the Standard version of an item (both previously dropped and not yet dropped), which could be seen as a nerf. Stuff like the Mirror/Blink + Minion Instability fix, if that was on gear somehow. But for everything else, yes.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 25, 2015, 2:30:51 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
Mostly. I believe in VERY rare circumstances they might need to bugfix the Standard version of an item (both previously dropped and not yet dropped), which could be seen as a nerf. Stuff like the Mirror/Blink + Minion Instability fix, if that was on gear somehow. But for everything else, yes.

I guess what is your reply to the fact that many people would see playing in temp leagues less appealing because they can play (and still find) overpowered unqiues\items\mods in standard if they wanted to?

FeelsBadMan

"
gonaldinho wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:

Well I know a lot of people (in and outside of PoE) who wouldn't ever consider trying pure p2w games for that exact reason (what other people have in that game). Even if you can have fun without paying there. Thus I don't think that mentality is very rare here.
I wouldn't play a pure p2w game anyway because I would stereotype all the players I'd encounter to be entitled jerks who are just playing to show off their wallets. I may be wrong but I'll never have to find out :)
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Consider the fellow whose PoE time is roughly equivalent to a weekly movie. 1.5 to 2.5 hours a week. Maybe 10 hours a month. Oh, and he doesn't like rerolling, he wants to make it to level 100, even if it takes a long time.

What league does he play? Perhaps he starts in a temp league, but eventually, inevitably, Standard. He doesn't put in the hours to finish in time, or anywhere close.

How does he feel about legacy items? Perhaps not much at first... until or unless it happens to him. The item he was theorycrafting around gets announced, it's on the nerf chopping block. The economy reacts instantly and prices soar beyond what he can trade for, if he's even paying attention to patch notes. His dream is, if not shattered, at least tarnished.

I don't know if I'd call players like that "new," but those are the ones who leave because of legacies. It's not so much about jealousy, but about theorycrafting sent back to the drawing board, for a player who has neither time nor desire to start over. As I've said before (after snorkle_uk enlightened me), the unifying desire of the Standard demographic is permanence and stability, with a side of hating rerolls. It is making items legacy in the present or future tense which pretty much shits on the essense of Standard.

Although some characters have been deleted and some players have quit, I can only imagine how many Standard characters are unused and collecting dust in response to a legacy-induced ragequit which effected that character's planned build. I believe the unneerfing of legacies would draw at least some players back to finish what they've abandoned. And I could not imagine anything which the Standard community would appreciate more than GGG's solemn promise that an item which drops in Standard league will never stop dropping in Standard league, guaranteed to be available when one gets around to earning it, and fully safe to plan your build around.

but he is in it for the long haul right? Why would that week or two of pre-legacy hype suddenly be the breaking point for this slow moving character? What he HAS to buy the item during the hyper-inflation due to speculation? or are you implying that the prices never come back down on the non-legacy version? Or that somehow the newely balanced item wont make for an end game character? I dont get your example here.
Hey...is this thing on?
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Scrottie, I think this argument is pretty weak from you. This is not the game to play if you want to slowly progress (over the course of years if we're talking 1-100 at 2 hours a day). Given the drastic meta shifts with each major patch (new items, changed passives and mechanics), long term growth of a single build is just not part of this game. I've made many builds over many leagues, and not one of them is unchanged the next time a major patch comes out. If the example guy wants to play in such a way as you describe, this is not the game for him. Legacies are the least of his problems.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info