Legacy items are bullshit

"
goetzjam wrote:

I guess what is your reply to the fact that many people would see playing in temp leagues less appealing because they can play (and still find) overpowered unqiues\items\mods in standard if they wanted to?
When that temp league item gets to Standard, use a Divine to turn it into Standard version.

But for the most part, not even an issue. Most temp league players right now have plenty of Standard loot, but they abandon it for new leagues whenever new leagues pop up.
"
mark1030 wrote:
If the example guy wants to play in such a way as you describe, this is not the game for him.
The reason why leagues exist is to tailor the game experience to different demographics, to be different games to different people, while maintaining a shared core. If Standard's existence and continued (moderate) popularity is not to serve this demographic of craving permanent and stability, then what is its purpose? Do you believe Standard should be nothing more than a dumpster?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 25, 2015, 4:12:19 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Consider the fellow whose PoE time is roughly equivalent to a weekly movie. 1.5 to 2.5 hours a week. Maybe 10 hours a month. Oh, and he doesn't like rerolling, he wants to make it to level 100, even if it takes a long time.

There are plenty of games that focus on that type of player. PoE doesn't need to become one of them.

GGG keeps legacies around in the perm leagues for a small dedicated minority to play around with. I disagree with their policy, but it doesn't affect me, I can choose not to equip any legacy items during the short periods I play perm leagues, so whatever.
You would take their legacy system to the extreme and make Standard league completely exempt from item balancing. I think that's a terrible idea. And I think it's a bit insulting to the honest Standard player who wants to play by the actual rules and not overpower the game with broken stuff balanced around how the game used to be 2-3 years ago.

@Zed: see reply to Mark. Temporary league play should NOT be unduly effected by the types of players I'm talking about, but leagues mean they don't have to be.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
If the example guy wants to play in such a way as you describe, this is not the game for him.
The reason why leagues exist is to tailor the game experience to different demographics, to be different games to different people, while maintaining a shared core. If Standard's existence and continued (moderate) popularity is not to serve this demographic of craving permanent and stability, then what is its purpose? Do you believe Standard should be nothing more than a dumpster?
Items in standard are permanent and stable. But can you honestly say that builds are? Do you have a build you made in 1.0.0 that still functions the way you built it? The game changes. How you use items changes. The items themselves do not change. That's the permanence in this game. Your characters got a full respec at 1.0. Your characters got a full respec at 1.1. Your characters got a full respec at 1.2. Your characters got a full respec at 1.3. Your characters will get a full respec at 2.0. What stability and permanence are you talking about?
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Jun 25, 2015, 4:31:15 PM
You didn't answer my questions. (They weren't rhetorical, although I can understand how you may have thought they were.)
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
You didn't answer my questions. (They weren't rhetorical, although I can understand how you may have thought they were.)
Yeah, I didn't know you were asking for answers. I don't think this game is designed for the narrow demographic you are talking about. I think standard is flexible and can fulfill several functions. I see it mainly for people who don't want to start from scratch. For people who want to put a build together quickly when they have something they want to try. Even if starting with a character from scratch (not something I would do), they have the stash full of items or the wealth to buy the items they need to make it work. It's also a place where people can keep saving for an item they want that takes a long time to accumulate the currency for (including but certainly not limited to legacy items). But the player that plays in standard for long term stability in builds....I don't see it. They game changes too often for a player to expect that they can take a year to make a build from start to finish. This is not the game for that. I'm not sure how any game can maintain the interest of the majority being that stagnant.

Like I said, the stability and permanence is in the items. Not the builds.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
Items in standard are permanent and stable. But can you honestly say that builds are? Do you have a build you made in 1.0.0 that still functions the way you built it? The game changes. How you use items changes. The items themselves do not change. That's the permanence in this game. Your characters got a full respec at 1.0. Your characters got a full respec at 1.1. Your characters got a full respec at 1.2. Your characters got a full respec at 1.3. Your characters will get a full respec at 2.0. What stability and permanence are you talking about?

Funny enough, my frenzybreaker build (Actually turned two years old this month) has survived all the major patches dating back to the middle of open beta, and actually been getting better little by little ever since, despite the nerfs it has gotten in the past major patches, This build might get worse in one way. but will get better in another, so it is good enough to last until the game ends. I made the foundation so strong, that the only way this build gets wrecked, if GGG trashes the game making Diablo 3 a blessing in disguise.

Though, this might one of the few exceptions, but there are builds out that can tackle a lot of nerfs, and ages very well. The only thing that can bring them down is if GGG dun goofed.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jun 25, 2015, 6:54:33 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
@Zed: see reply to Mark. Temporary league play should NOT be unduly effected by the types of players I'm talking about, but leagues mean they don't have to be.

And I didn't talk about any effects on the temp leagues. I was talking about legit perm league players, and temp league players who may still want to fool around in perm leagues from time to time. You'd force all these people to play with items that are completely out of balance with the current version of the game, and play within a community of players who are happy with cheat codes, which legacy items basically are.
I'm not sure I would want to attract players who like to use cheat codes to my game, but that's not for me to decide. GGG claims getting rid of legacies is a technical impossibility. My concern is for the perm league player who wants to play by the actual rules, in a more or less balanced game, and their continued ability to do so.

I would also agree with mark on that even a player who owns every single legacy item will find no stability in Standard. The effects of the changes in other systems are much greater than the effects of all the item rebalancing that's ever been done. This is simply not that kind of game.

"
Zed_ wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

And I didn't talk about any effects on the temp leagues. I was talking about legit perm league players, and temp league players who may still want to fool around in perm leagues from time to time. You'd force all these people to play with items that are completely out of balance with the current version of the game, and play within a community of players who are happy with cheat codes, which legacy items basically are.
I'm not sure I would want to attract players who like to use cheat codes to my game, but that's not for me to decide. GGG claims getting rid of legacies is a technical impossibility. My concern is for the perm league player who wants to play by the actual rules, in a more or less balanced game, and their continued ability to do so.

I would also agree with mark on that even a player who owns every single legacy item will find no stability in Standard. The effects of the changes in other systems are much greater than the effects of all the item rebalancing that's ever been done. This is simply not that kind of game.

1. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cheat codes. Although they aren't enabled for obvious reasons in this game.
2. Legacies are not cheating, as they are provided by the game itself. GGG's decision not to remove them endorses that they are not cheating, but rather that they are simply not balanced.
3. Even if you find legacies unbalancing you can actively choose not to use them. This personal choice to be annoyed other people using them should have no bearing on the game as a whole.

I have no problem with you being against legacies because you find their existence abhorrent. But it is far from the cheating you make it out to be, and also not a concern for the individual player looking for balance. If you want to play with the nerfed items you can not only divine the items yourself (in most cases) or just get a non-legacy version. Because standard is balanced just as well as the other leagues, you should be able to get a balanced experience if you want one.
"
ghoulavenger wrote:
If you want to play with the nerfed items you can not only divine the items yourself (in most cases) or just get a non-legacy version. Because standard is balanced just as well as the other leagues, you should be able to get a balanced experience if you want one.

I'm aware of that. The discussion is about Scrotie's suggestion to restore all items to their original state and never again apply any item-related nerfs in the Standard league. He proposes to deny that balanced experience to Standard players and that's what I was arguing against.

Spoiler
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I believe the unneerfing of legacies would draw at least some players back to finish what they've abandoned. And I could not imagine anything which the Standard community would appreciate more than GGG's solemn promise that an item which drops in Standard league will never stop dropping in Standard league, guaranteed to be available when one gets around to earning it, and fully safe to plan your build around.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info