Legacy items are bullshit

"
Another quality legacy thread.

They exist, they dont affect you unless you pvp and they dont affect you when you pvp in temp leagues.

/thread
Once upon a time, there was this thing called the Standard ladder.

Oh, wait, it still exists. It's just starts on page 14 now.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

On topic, I see no reason why gear is any more deserving of "unchangingness" than skill gems. Why do those change retroactively instead of going legacy? Truth is, the proper place for rememberance of what once was is the wiki, not the game itself.

Its an ARPG, gear shouldnt be retroactively changed you "loot" gear gems are handed to you or in the rare case dropped. You've yet to really bring any insight or reasoning on why you hate it other then "other people have stuff I don't have or can't get" The devs are known magic lovers, from what I understand older cards aren't made anymore and the prestige of said cards and power cannot be matched by newer items.

I gave a specific example of how a community has backlashed against such change, do you have a counter to that?
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
pneuma wrote:
Secondarily, "fixing everything" involves a database migration. It involves rewriting how the items are stored (no longer stored with a raw number like "50"% reduced whatever, but stored with a pointer to X for X% reduced whatever) and likewise how they're retrieved and calculated on the server (and displayed on the client).

It involves actively rewriting the data itself of all the existing items, which in even minor failure scenarios, can look like Kiwihalt all over again or bricking entire stashes. That's a major risk to take, and a failure there would put the entire company on its back.

Lastly, it would be downtime, even in the success case. Nobody would be playing the game -- GGG wouldn't be making money. Does the differential enjoyment that comes out of "fixing legacies" even amount to a single day of revenue?
By the same logic: a year ago, GGG should have decided fixing desync is too much work, they'd have to rewrite netcode and stuff, so they should have just gave up and told players to suck it up?

I mean, I get it: sometimes fixing bullshit is really difficult, time-consuming and expensive. But I do not see how that makes bullshit any less bullshit.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 18, 2015, 4:51:09 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Another quality legacy thread.

They exist, they dont affect you unless you pvp and they dont affect you when you pvp in temp leagues.

/thread
Once upon a time, there was this thing called the Standard ladder.

Oh, wait, it still exists. It's just starts on page 14 now.

And that ladder affects you and your gameplay how? Standard and HC are for fun, hell the entire game is for fun. Wanna compete with no legacy items? Go play temp leagues.
Legacies are fine, GGG know better than you about balance anyway.

GG the best, no need to post negative things just post positive thread instead.
GGG is right with aura change, they are right with legacies too.

GG GGG
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on May 18, 2015, 4:55:07 PM
"
lolozori wrote:
Legacies are fine, GGG know better than you about balance anyway.

GG the best, no need to post negative things, just post positive thread instead.
If I like someone and their shirt is on backwards, I let them know. If I don't like them, I shut up.

Actually, I shut the fuck up. Because I love me some profanity. I mean, the OP's title is a Penn & Teller homage, for crying out loud.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 18, 2015, 4:58:28 PM
The ONLY arguments that could ever legitimately defend the existence of Legacy items are:
1 - Standard League doesn't matter and Legacy items only affect Standard League.
2 - What other players use doesn't affect you.

And both arguments are utter bullshit.
First, Legacy items are Legacy because they're overpowered in their original form.
If a build is balanced WITHOUT Legacy items - then it is overpowered with Legacy items.
It doesn't take a genious to figure that out.

Second, Standard League exists, and therefore matters.
The moment it doesn't matter anymore, players will stop playing it, and GGG will either change it or remove it.

Third, Path of Exile is a game strongly driven by economy:
- an item that is 5% away from perfection will cost a LOT less than one that is 2% away from perfection.
- clear speed matters
- how easily you can overcome certain mods matters
- and having 1000 Life instead of 500 Life from Kaom's makes a considerable difference.

In the end, others farming faster because they have Legacy items DOES AFFECT YOU, directly and/or indirectly.

Conclusion:
Legacy items are officially broken items that are left in a game that constantly strives for balance.
Ironic at best.
The epitome of bad, contradicting design.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on May 18, 2015, 5:43:27 PM
"
Nurvus wrote:
The ONLY arguments that could ever legitimately defend the existence of Legacy items are:
1 - Standard League doesn't matter and Legacy items only affect Standard League.

You conveniently ignored the third and most enduring argument:

3 - Legacies are the only remaining defense we have against gratuitous meta-beta nerf assaults on our toons' precious bodily fluids.

https://youtu.be/N1KvgtEnABY?t=66

Incredibly obvious, isn't it?
Last edited by RogueMage on May 18, 2015, 5:52:41 PM
"
RogueMage wrote:
"
Nurvus wrote:

You conveniently ignored the third and most enduring argument:

3 - Legacies are the only remaining defense we have against gratuitous meta-beta nerf assaults on our toons' precious bodily fluids.

https://youtu.be/N1KvgtEnABY?t=66

Incredibly obvious, isn't it?

Only the contradiction in your logic is obvious.

You're saying the designers that keep Legacy items in the game, are the ones that do "gratuitous meta-beta nerf assaults on our toons".

So GGG fuck the game up, they know that they do, and keep Legacy items "the truly balanced items?" in the game for SOME players to enjoy "balance"?
Those acids expired last week didn't they?

That's like saying the street is safe because it has good lighting and traffic control, but when asked if you're going to cross the street you go "fuck no, I'll die.".
---

1 - Any big changes and GGG gives you full skill refund.
2 - GGG wants to balance the game.
3 - GGG wants to EXPAND the amount of viable builds.

Stop playing victim.

The only "good" thing Legacy items do is allow bad players to keep up with the rest without having to improve.
Then again I don't think I should call that a good thing.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on May 18, 2015, 6:04:13 PM
"
Nurvus wrote:
So GGG fuck the game up, they know that they do, and keep Legacy items "the truly balanced items?" in the game for SOME players to enjoy "balance"?
Those acids expired last week didn't they?

That's like saying the street is safe because it has good lighting and traffic control, but when asked if you're going to cross the street you go "fuck no, I'll die.".
I love obtuse analogies and I still don't follow.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 18, 2015, 6:04:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info