Anyone else...

Anyone else in the state of mind im in? Everyone seams so hyped for the expansion, but I am so depressed with the expansion I can't even bring myself to login and play. I signed up for the beta, but I honestly don't think I will join in if eligible, I was content on how the game was. Now things are going to change in a massive way judging by their first set of notes, and I realize things can change during the 8 weeks for the better, but I can't help but wounder if it's time to just toss in the cards.

I can deal with minor tree changes, having minor reductions to the nods, and having things shift to one place or another, or even combined to clear up the tree. I am also fine with ability nerf's and gear adjustments, one can expect that with any game. But they are planing on destroying/altering/removing key features/ and adjusting how certain things work in general. Things player's have counted on staying the same for their existing char's to remain playable, and I realize this game's primary focus is leagues, that much is very clear to me by now. But I honestly think GGG forgets not everyone likes to play the leagues, some players prefer to have their char's more permanent. Months, even years down the line they would like to hop back on said char in question and continue progressing with it. But the way they "balance" on-top of the sheer amount of times they adjust their game in a big way makes this not even feasible. I look at all these changes and I realize I will be lucky if one of my chars is even remotely playable by the time of launch and I can't help but feel I have put my cards on the wrong game. All that time spent, for them to not even function anymore, kinda kills my mood to go on.

I really enjoy this game, I just wish they would turn their focus off destroying/altering/removing key features/ and adjusting how certain things work in general. And focus more on raw content in general. Adding maps, abilities, gear, mini-expansions, larger expansions. This game could be amazing, but they spend way to much time on trying to keep it in check that I think they rob most of the fun that could become of just leaving things as is. Minor adjustments to abilities, gear, passive tree, and creatures is all that needs to be done to keep in check. That is all that ever needs to be done, and this is the way most game operate because it works. Once you get a game working and out of the initial beta phase, you build on it, not tear it down and build it new. The only time that should happen is if a game is failing. But this appears to be what they are doing, at least from what I gather. Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but I was hoping this time it would be different. I was hoping they would just add in Act4, toss in new abilities and supports, new maps, gear, a new end-game boss, and then do a little bit of gear adjustments, slight ability nerfs, slight tree adjustments and nod nerfs, and be done with it.

After reading the first batch of notes, which once again I know aren't final...I am almost in a state of shock, I never expected all of this. And not the good kind of shock either, I almost feel robbed of the game I once loved. I can't even stand to login, I guess maybe it's time to move on...anyone else feel this way? I realize it's not the same kind of game, but I played WoW for 6 years, and I think I might re-new my subscription, I was hoping this game was my go-to for years to come. But as it stands now that mindset has changed, never once have I ever felt this way when reading their patch or expansion notes. I knew that when I came back after a break, it didn't matter how long, weeks or even months, that I could jump right back in. A few things would be weak ability wise, some things would be stronger, maybe new features, and new content, but the core game was always going to be the same...It's clear I won't get that from this game, and that's something I demand in any game.
Last edited by justinmm1988 on Apr 19, 2015, 10:20:09 PM
this games old news mate
Change is always a time when you can bow out gracefully, or stick around and see how things turn out.

It can go either way.

I commented elsewhere that I quit playing Magic The Gathering when they changed the game too much all at once, and similarly for Dark Age of Camelot. It might be time to quit PoE too. I'll have to wait and see.
We don't have the final numbers yet, and I'm doubtful we even will but your characters will probably largely remain playable just by switching a few support gems around and allocating your points as close as you can to what it was.
I really dont get why people are so dramatic abouth change.

Life is about changes, just accept this, and watch forward, not backward.
Damn.
ya what zbouby said
I also enjoy playing standard and like some level of permanence with my characters..
The block nerf hit me really hard on the character I enjoy playing the most, and I
was pretty bummed and considered selling my gear and scrapping my character..

In the end I decided not to and just adapted to the new tree best I could.
That nerf hit my character hard but it was in no way unplayable afterwards..
Now all of a sudden.. melee is getting some buffs. Armor is getting some love..
A character I came very close to scrapping looks like it might be stronger then
it was in the first place.

And I am not trying to say it's fine, you can play this character again down the road
in a future patch when it is buffed again..
This 2.0 patch is so overwhelming because this is a long time's worth of changes
contained in this update. It represents a shift towards something they have been working on in bits and pieces for a while.
We have no idea how it is going to play out, but I suspect it will be the most well
balanced and polished version of Path of Exile we have been lucky enough to play yet.
And with this amount of time and effort behind it, there is just no way they are giving
us a game with tons of skills and items in broken states.

tl/dr

ppl need to calm down,
game will be fine, better even.
do what you want to the girl, but leave me alone.
"
zbouby25 wrote:
I really dont get why people are so dramatic abouth change.

Life is about changes, just accept this, and watch forward, not backward.
Damn.

"
lone500 wrote:
ya what zbouby said

You guys are so impassible, the op expressed his feelings about the new gamebreaking changes in
a nice way, and ALL you can see is that he is whining and baby-crying?

Life my friend is full of changes, thats true, BUT in life whenever a change is happening you HAVE to go on there is no other way (unless u kill yourself). So please spare us of crappy examples that are in
no way similar to gaming.

They actually make SO many breaking changes that the game will feel a LOT different.

Now if i recall correctly, many games (e.g. D3) made huge changes on expansions, but almost all of these games WERE FAILING before it.

As far as i know PoE was not failing, so this is kinda of surprising.

It gives you a feeling that devs are changing the game because they want to, not because its flawed, not because they get negative feedback.

People have actually put in COUNTLESS HOURS of gaming to make a perfect build and now its as if they are telling you "throw all your stuff in the trashcan and start from scratch", but this is not candy crush saga, this is an RPG game.

You just dont do such huge experiments with an already successful game, thats my humble opinion.

Its not 'change' we're dramatic about, its what is being changed. The same old, same old balance routine.

There seems to be a great deal of 'changes' done in the guise of 'balance'.

It all feels way to much like social experimentation.

What ever happened to the advertising of getting to set up our own servers with our own rules? That was the one reason I managed to return twice now, but I see that it has gone away completely in everyone's memory.

Are we going to see less 'Allies reflect' mobs? (My group encountered 7 elemental reflect rare mobs of in 1 map earlier tonight and the physical damagers just kept sitting things out! 6 portals just are not enough to keep game friends playing together when players keep dying to countless 'Allies reflect elemental/physical') I noted over the last year that the # of reflect mobs has increased a lot. It is an uncreative way of capping off dps. Dps to high when you turn a corner? Die, lose hours of your xp, lose players in the group, go back to rinse and repeat. Only 2 lvl 78 maps to xp on with Pack Size and Domination? Come on. And the best part has been when you get lvl 66-69 map drops in abundance in those 78s.

Like I said, 'feels way to much like social experimentation' and less like putting actual emphasis on players enjoying spending time gaming with other gamers.

Are we ever going to be able to set up 'shops' in our Hideouts or are our Hideouts only worth getting seen if we need to run a map/daily group? Apparently the 'trade system' is balanced enough not to warrant any concern.

After this big change, you can bet they'll be hard at work on balance some more with even less emphasis on what actually makes a game keep players interested in continuing to play.

Division divides.

I don't see any changes coming that unites people to game together.

There is no comfort in the unfamiliar.
There is no adventure in the familiar.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info