the key words here are Deterministic Lockstep Mode and Predictive Mode

Deterministic Lockstep (D)
Pros
- will never desync
Cons
- requires low latency to feel responsive

Predictive (P)
Pros
- latency is not a big factor (unless it is around the 600+)
- always feel more responsive
Cons
- desync

with deterministic lockstep, you cannot blame PoE anymore for dying, but blame your ISP instead

How will it feel like?

When you drink your pots, the pots respond, and you get a sound. With (D), there will be a delay, between you pressing the button, and the "effect". For example:

(D) = Press pots->(wait)->Effect

(P) = Press pots->Effect
(Server Calculates) IF there is a mistake, correct it -> Desync

edit:typo, feels
I need more purple titles
Last edited by Ocylix on Apr 10, 2015, 1:55:25 PM
It will be interesting to see how that goes..
Last edited by aechean on Apr 10, 2015, 1:49:28 PM
"
Ocylix wrote:

with deterministic lockstep, you cannot blame PoE anymore for dying, but blame your ISP instead

edit:typo

If I've learned anything from online games people don't blame the ISP, they blame the company's servers.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
"
Ocylix wrote:

edit:typo

If I've learned anything from online games people don't blame the ISP, they blame the company's servers.

yeah, but people say that too with (P), saying that Better server = No desync. GGG would like to please those who are more knowledgeable, and choose whichever mode works best for them. As long as you give players some choice, the complaints will at least be reduced.

edit:complain vs complaint
I need more purple titles
Last edited by Ocylix on Apr 10, 2015, 2:00:04 PM
I live in the UK. With a London server my ping would drop from 30 to 10 easy. According to later in that post you also roughly half that for response time with the change. A ping of 5 would result in around 1/200th second response time. That wont be noticeable. Therefore for me it looks like it will be better to choose the anti desync option. This solution is fantastic to allow both low pingers and high pingers to be able to play and to help low pingers have an even better experience.

In addition you can switch between the two at your leisure. Therefore if you are willing to put up with occasional desync you can play on your mates american server and switch it back to desync mode.

GGG - you are soooooooooooooooooo fucking great
Been playing RTS/MOBA games for quite sometime. In my experience, below 100 felt a little bit weird but still mostly OK when you get used to it. And below 50 was almost felt instantaneous, like zero problems. This is a massive improvement over current game.

This and Item Filter was all I ever wanted.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
/logs in game
/checks latency
/sees 48 ping

NO MORE DESYNC! WOOT WOOT!

/dies of excitement
ign: Vixien
Thing is you can get used to your commands being delayed by a certain amount of miliseconds and react accordingly.

Try reacting to stuff that isn't on your screen.
Yeah, id take Lockstep any day.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info